Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 09:24 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So let’s look once more at one of Dawkins quotes.

Quote:
“Echo-sounding by bats is just one of the thousands of examples that I could have chosen to make the point about good design. Animals give the appearance of having been designed by a theoretically sophisticated and practically ingenious physicist or engineer. . . .
Once again you refute yourself. Dawkins is talking about apparent design.

And a sign of quote mining is . . . . in a text.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:25 AM

1,478 posts, read 478,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, your post won't get deleted. Instead, it will be displayed as an example of the reason that we decided that science is not an appropriate topic for the Religion and Spirituality forums. Evolution doesn't work randomly. It works when traits that are better survive to improve a species. So, no. Humans won't devolve " to being less than a monkey," and having a common descent does not mean that we evolved from a monkey. Creation is not the opposite of evolution.

Now, please stop the nonsensical posts about evolution and make posts relevant to Religion and Spirituality.
My post was more about honesty than anything else.

And I remember in the sixth grade, the science teacher showing in a printed picture description his claimed steps of evolution from an ape to mankind.

Do you consider having the ability to sit in your recliner and having a beer, while flying a drone over people far away and bombing them to be some kind of evolving. It goes both ways, like I said.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I really wish you guys would stick with one theory. You and harry say there is no design in creation, trans says there is design in creation. seem you guys are divided on the question.
Clearly we are referring to intelligent design. Transponder explained what he meant, and specifically said NOT intelligent design. Did you really need that explaining, or are you playing games?

Quote:
and if you do not know 100 percent then you cannot rule out design or the designer. yet you do
The eternal designer of the designer problem (which you avoid by special pleading) and the specified complexity problem rules out an ultimate intelligent designer.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Now, please stop the nonsensical posts about evolution and make posts relevant to Religion and Spirituality.
My apologies, we do seem to have been diverted yet again.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:45 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
The OP:

1. How did the universe originate (time, space, matter)?

2. How did life originate on Earth from non-life?

3. Does objective truth and/or objective morality exist?

I fail to see how any of these relate to Christianity vs Atheism. The first two are scientific questions. One's religion or lack thereof does not determine one's answer. The third is a philosophical question. Hard enough to define what "objective" truth or morality even mean.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:32 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
I really wish you guys would stick with one theory. You and harry say there is no design in creation, trans says there is design in creation. seem you guys are divided on the question.

and if you do not know 100 percent then you cannot rule out design or the designer. yet you do

No, there is just no reason to consider it until some evidence for design comes in. There is none as yet is the point. And after the video about Dawkins and quote mining you should apologize. When I say there is no design - it is simply a short hand summary of my points throughout this thread on this topic. It is not an absolute statement that is 100% impossible - there just is no evidence for it.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
and in that proper context Dawkins still said

now, that is a possibility and an intriguing possibility

Watch the Dawkins video, and I'll wait for an apology. You seem to be backtracking now from your previous points.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:36 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
One of the most interesting facts about this discussion is that Behe thought than evolution was designed. Many theists believe this. So even Mr ID and IC is not falling for the false dichotomy.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Why does anybody care what Dawkins (or Flew or Russell or Hitchens) or any other has to say about religion?
I would say that it is because they are noted writers and thinkers on the topic and are somewhat seen as leaders in the field.

I look at such people as resources to expand thinking on a topic, but not as someone to look to as sources which I should just automatically parrot. They have their reasons for thinking as they do; I have mine.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:10 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
The Funeral of a Great Myth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GCWGyWCLTo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality