Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I was giving my answer as I said. I accept in all weakness your dismissal and knife that you cut my throat with, once again.
And I was pointing out where you were missing Pneuma's point. If you think your throat is cut, therefore, you did it yourself.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:51 AM

1,475 posts, read 478,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And I was pointing out where you were missing Pneuma's point. If you think your throat is cut, therefore, you did it yourself.
I wasn't responding to Pneuma's point. I gave my own answer to the mathematical question, as I said.

You can call me a sinner all you want.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I wasn't responding to Pneuma's point. I gave my own answer to the mathematical question, as I said.

You can call me a sinner all you want.
Ok. Then I was pointing out to anyone who might wonder, that your post was not an answer to the 'Someone else' you referenced, who was Pneuma, and that your post was unrelated to his point, whether or not you intended it so.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Ok. Then I was pointing out to anyone who might wonder, that your post was not an answer to the 'Someone else' you referenced, who was Pneuma, and that your post was unrelated to his point, whether or not you intended it so.
My quoted response was to 303Guy. But like I said you can call me a sinner and overlook what I wrote all you want.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
My quoted response was to 303Guy. But like I said you can call me a sinner and overlook what I wrote all you want.
You noted that his post was to 'someone else'. That was Pneuma. I supposed that you had looked at his post, but as your explanation makes clear, you were using the post to go off on an unrelated preach-fest of your own.

And i may call people many things, (and Think of calling them even more) but 'Sinner' is a thing I don't call people, seriously.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
You noted that his post was to 'someone else'. That was Pneuma. I supposed that you had looked at his post, but as your explanation makes clear, you were using the post to go off on an unrelated preach-fest of your own.

And i may call people many things, (and Think of calling them even more) but 'Sinner' is a thing I don't call people, seriously.
I shared the origin of the name "Universe". So what I wrote is most relational from that one verse, concerning all that is seen.

You say it is unrelated, and called me a sinner again in your first paragraph.

Last edited by chief scum; 01-20-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-20-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I shared the origin of the name "Universe". So what I wrote is most relational from that one verse, concerning all that is seen.
I shall leave it to others to judge the relevance, if any.

Quote:
You say it is unrelated, and called me a sinner again in your first paragraph.
Remind me, which post was it where i called you a sinner? i do't usually use the word.
Nope, I looked way back and didn't see any post of mine to you calling you a 'Sinner'.

Thinking ahead a bit, doing something ethically wrong, or breaking the rules of (say) logic, or Terms of Service, is not the same thing as doing something perceived as transgressing some instruction or other from God, which is where I consider the concept of 'sin' applies, not elsewhere. Since i do not believe in a god, or consider a lit of orders, instructions, demands, or commands purported to come from such a being anything more than a waste of paper, I do not use the term 'Sinner' other than ironically or in discussing the claims of religion.

So, in case the idea was to make a persecuted martyr of yourself at my expense, forget it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-20-2020 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-20-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I shall leave it to others to judge the relevance, if any.

Remind me, which post was it where i called you a sinner? i do't usually use the word.
Nope, I looked way back and didn't see any post of mine to you calling you a 'Sinner'.

Thinking ahead a bit, doing something ethically wrong, or breaking the rules of (say) logic, or Terms of Service, is not the same thing as doing something perceived as transgressing some instruction or other from God, which is where I consider the concept of 'sin' applies, not elsewhere. Since i do not believe in a god, or consider a lit of orders, instructions, demands, or commands purported to come from such a being anything more than a waste of paper, I do not use the term 'Sinner' other than ironically or in discussing the claims of religion.

So, in case the idea was to make a persecuted martyr of yourself at my expense, forget it.
I don't consider myself to be your victim.

It is funny how the word sinner get's you all twisted up in a knot.

I know that I am a most sinful man, worthy of death. At least I can own it and bring it into the light and seek mercy and forgiveness.

I have to wonder, if you are not calling me a sinner, then what meaning are your words carrying. Are you agreeing that what I have shared is spot on correct. Which is it ?

Old 01-20-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I don't consider myself to be your victim.

It is funny how the word sinner get's you all twisted up in a knot.

I know that I am a most sinful man, worthy of death. At least I can bring it into the light and seek mercy and forgiveness.

I have to wonder, if you are not calling me a sinner, then what meaning are your words carrying. Are you agreeing that what I have shared is spot on correct. Which is it ?
I'm sorry, I have the Lmao dictum but I had to laugh. 'Sinner' is word I hardly ever use, let alone getting tied up in a knot about it. rather, you are the one who seems screwed up like a pretzel about it. I thought ahead a bit as to why you claimed I called you sinner when i didn't. In fact, I went the extra mile to understand rather than condemn you (for all that -as i suspected - you want to be martyred at my hands). No, don't bother to thank me. Being grateful to an atheist woudl probably damn you for all eternity.

As to what I meant, i explained why in semantics, 'Sinner' as a religious concept i don't recognise, so i never use the term. But wrong doing or just making a mistake, is.wrongdoing or a mistake. 'Sin' is as remote a concept as thanking God for my root canal work. Don't you read posts or not just not understand them?

Old 01-21-2020, 01:57 AM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
This hardly a rhetorical question.

Iwas, you made the statement that something can come from nothing and that if so it must be supernatural. We would like to know how you know that.

We get told that 'God' is the only explanation because something cannot come from nothing. Yet 'God', who came from nothing in the first place, created the universe out of nothing. The other thing we get told is that 'God' always existed (leaving us with the creation of the universe out of nothing). When we ask why the universe could not just as well have always existed we get excuses.

You have asked us whether we are afraid to give our criteria for convincing evidence yet you won't answer this one simple question, evading it by claiming it's a rhetorical question. The fact is, you simply do not have the answer. Besides, I gave you my simple criterion.
I assume this is what you're referring to...
Quote:
Ok, I'll play. I have this white box next to my bed. It contains the ashes of my son. God knows what to do to convince me he exists.
I didn't respond because that is such a loaded topic and I don't see the combative tone of this forum as an appropriate environment to discuss something so personally painful and emotional. I'm sorry your son died. If you'd like to discuss the topic in a conversational manner, send me a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality