Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post

Can you stick to the point the person you quoted was making. He was not saying that abiogenesis was solved.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Sources

Reality-checks (plural). Many of them. Almost all science papers, none of them Youtube videos from creationists. For anyone really interested in looking at both sides of the argument.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Let's check your reality:

Please explain how life got started. Remember, God dun it is not an explanation - we want the same standards you expect of us - how did God do it? And do not say he used his power or spoke a magic incantation or any non explanatory BS like that. How did he use his power to do it, what does it look like, how did it come together, etc.

Ready set go!

Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 AM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Sources

Reality-checks (plural). Many of them. Almost all science papers, none of them Youtube videos from creationists. For anyone really interested in looking at both sides of the argument.
I noticed that you addressed none of the points in the video.

What is your confidence level in abiogenesis? (0-100)

Marc doesn’t believe it. It’s an extraordinary claim without extraordinary evidence.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:59 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:

Marc doesn’t believe it. It’s an extraordinary claim without extraordinary evidence.
Turning the question back to you...what's your confidence level on Goddunit and what is the evidence that you provide? Can you present it without resorting to some UTube video? You know, like in your own words.
You ask questions but answer few (if any)
Or will you just disappear for a while (again) hoping we'll forget you never answered?

Old 01-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
As your god is most improbable (point 6), then abiogenesis must be most probable unless you can provide a third option. So around 100% until new evidence is provided.

Quote:
Marc doesn’t believe it.
Irrelevant, and I believe also a straw man.

Quote:
It’s an extraordinary claim without extraordinary evidence.
No, that is your god. Abiogenesis is an ordinary claim with ordinary evidence (it is called chemistry). I did provide people interested in looking at both sides with a list.

If they wish to discuss abiogenesis, there is a science forum for this.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I notice you always rely on Youtube videos and never valid science papers.

If you go down an alley and get robbed every time, you find it a waste of time to go down that alley again. It is the same with creationist sites, papers any Youtube channels. But if you want to discuss the video, post it in the science section and I will waste my time, sorry, I will tomorrow watch your video (for free*) and comment on it there (unless it is pulled for being pseudo science).

If creationism was in any way valid, it would be mainstream science. After 2,500 years, creationism has still failed to provide even one answer. This should tell you something.

*My rates usually range from 30 to 200 Euros pro Stunde depending on the type of work.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
There's no such thing "abiogenesis."

That's sophistry at it's finest.

You have used the Persuasive Definition Fallacy to introduce a Red Herring (another fallacy).

Quote:
Do you believe life originated on Earth, by chance, out of inorganic material?

According to your reasoning, you should default to disbelief about this, since there is no extraordinary evidence to demonstrate such a claim.
You have just demonstrated a total lack of scientific understanding.

Inorganic material is any material other than Hydro-Carbon chains.

DNA and all life on Earth has always been Hydro-Carbon-based.

The difference between organic and inorganic is something that was explained to you in the 7th Grade, and then again in high school chemistry class in the 9th or 10th Grade, or biology or life science or earth science classes.

We can infer from your comments that your level of scientific understanding is less than 7th Grade Level.

Your claim is erroneous, baseless and without merit.

Life originated from organic material, not inorganic material.

For the record, I'm certain Life began in Space. The Universe is teeming with Life.

All you need for Life to begin is Hydrogen, Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen and Phosphorus, plus any star no matter how distant and/or radioactive isotopes.

As science proved just a few weeks ago, asteroids, comets and planetoids have the "seeds of Life" on them.

At the risk of talking way over your head, it is the stars and/or radioactive isotopes that cause the Photo-Electric Effect and/or Pair-Production with those organic materials.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:35 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Where is Iwas?

Old 01-27-2020, 07:15 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As your god is most improbable (point 6), then abiogenesis must be most probable unless you can provide a third option. So around 100% until new evidence is provided.

Irrelevant, and I believe also a straw man.

No, that is your god. Abiogenesis is an ordinary claim with ordinary evidence (it is called chemistry). I did provide people interested in looking at both sides with a list.

If they wish to discuss abiogenesis, there is a science forum for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew
Harry: "abiogenesis must be most probable unless you can provide a third option. So around 100% [confidence] until new evidence is provided"
"Abiogenesis is an ordinary claim with ordinary evidence (it is called chemistry)."

You're just demonstrating your ignorance. There is no evidence. It's just a theory.

People who know more about it than you...

Denis Noble (Oxford and Royal Society biologist): “The biggest questions in science today are about how life got going and the origin of the genetic code. How do living things ‘know’ how to evolve? What do cells know that we don’t? Is the genetic code the result of chance as some claim for 100 years – or is science pointing us to currently unknown processes? The answers will be as profound as Einstein’s E=mc2.”

George Church (Harvard geneticist): “Origin of life is the hardest question in science. It’s mind-boggling you can have such complex structures that make copies of themselves. But it’s very hard to do that with machines we’ve built. We are engineers but we’re rather poor ones compared to the pseudo engineering that is biological evolution.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality