Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I don't see it as self centredness. I see it as Tzaph describing something within oneself.
I see it as the personal experience fallacy. Characterized by claims, assertions, more claims, more assertions, and no demonstrable evidence for any of it. It is a dazed and confused combination of intellectual misfeasance and malfeasance.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:08 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so it doesn't apply to you
and it doesn't apply to me.

but it applies to everyone else.
billions and billions of people, you are saying that the universe hates them, does not know them, does not care about them.

sorry, harry, i don't find that to be rational.
Yes, changing my argument from everyone to everyone except you and me is irrational. It is called a straw man fallacy.

Changing my argument from "either the universe does not know about you, it does not care about you, or it hates you" to the universe doing all three is irrational. That too is called a straw man fallacy.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:28 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, changing my argument from everyone to everyone except you and me is irrational. It is called a straw man fallacy. Changing my argument from "the universe does not know about you, it does not care about you, or it hates you" to the universe doing all three is irrational. That too is called a straw man fallacy.
sorry harry it's becoming less clear instead of more clear.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-06-2020 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
sorry harry it's becoming less clear, instead of more clear.
I lost track of the comparison of atheism to Christianity some time ago, Tzaph. right after we stopped arguing that some claims address fact and others address human preference.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I lost track of the comparison of atheism to Christianity some time ago, Tzaph. right after we stopped arguing that some claims address fact and others address human preference.
indeed.
Thanks Trans.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Iwas can't help but to misrepresent, sidetrack, obfuscate, and run. It's his modus operandi.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:40 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well Ok, that's a hard one - you see, I find the Christian God to be problematic because of the biblical descriptions of God and also because of the Christian view that Jesus is God and the Trinity of God concept.

I don't think I would start going to church and worshipping. I think I would simply acknowledge the existence of God and continue living my life normally with that knowledge. I might question the practice of praying since I have never witnessed a prayer being answered unless the purpose of prayer is an internal spiritual one, something like meditation perhaps.

I'm sure I would question the validity of the bible because of reasons well covered in these threads.
If the Christian God exists, then so does heaven and hell. Are you saying you’d reject the free gift of salvation even if you were convinced that God exists?

Old 02-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
If the Christian God exists, then so does heaven and hell. Are you saying you’d reject the free gift of salvation even if you were convinced that God exists?
actually that's not the case.

monotheism by definition is one god.
if that one god is the Creator of everything, then it is the same god.

heaven and hell have nothing to do with the existence of god. they are elements of this or that specific religion. so they are dependent on "religion." they are an aspect of a religion. they are not an aspect of god.

god is not dependent on religion.
therefore all the add-ons of any religion (such as heaven or hell) do not affect or change the existence of God. the add-ons are just various ideas, views, thoughts, preferences for how to be in relationship with the one god that is the Creator of the universe.

many paths. same mountain.
and not every path features "heaven and hell."
the mountain is not changed or affected by the decorations added to it.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-06-2020 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 01:51 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Iwas can't help but to misrepresent, sidetrack, obfuscate, and run. It's his modus operandi.
Quote:
actually that's not the case.

monotheism by definition is one god.
if that one god is the Creator of everything, then it is the same god.

heaven and hell have nothing to do with the existence of god. they are elements of this or that religion. so they are dependent on "religion." they are not dependent on god.

god is not dependent on religion.
therefore all the add-ons of any religion have nothing to do with the existence of God.

just various ideas, views, thoughts, preferences for how to be in relationship with (for monotheists, the one god that is) the Creator of the Universe

Like I said!

Old 02-06-2020, 01:51 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Maybe IWas is trying to convince themselves.
...says the atheist who spends all his time on a “Religion & Spirituality” forum denying God’s existence.
I’m thoroughly convinced but it seems you are still struggling to come to terms with your worldview. Maybe an atheistic form of Hinduism will bring you peace of mind. I’m OK with whatever you want to believe. Your choice. Your consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality