Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 11:58 AM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
If you’d like to do a credibility comparison between Christianity and any other religion, I’m happy to do that with you.
That's not the point I was making.

You proposed that the other poster should accept Jesus/God just in case you're right (which by the way, would be a pretty ineffectual way to gain "eternity".

So I'm just asking the same question to you about other gods. But I notice you don't want to answer that question. Instead you want to set up another thread that you think you'll be able to control (as if that's worked so well before).

Old 10-03-2019, 12:30 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's not the point I was making.

You proposed that the other poster should accept Jesus/God just in case you're right (which by the way, would be a pretty ineffectual way to gain "eternity".

So I'm just asking the same question to you about other gods. But I notice you don't want to answer that question. Instead you want to set up another thread that you think you'll be able to control (as if that's worked so well before).
You asked me: "Have you worshiped the various Hindu gods...just in case your eternity might depend on it?"

Your implication is that Hindu gods might be as credible as the Christian God. I disagree. My short answer is that I don't see Hindu gods as credible. I'm willing to compare any other religion to Christianity in terms of credibility. That would give a fuller answer as to why I am not concerned about my eternity in relation to Hindu gods. Aren't you confident enough in Buddhism to compare it to Christianity?

Old 10-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You asked me: "Have you worshiped the various Hindu gods...just in case your eternity might depend on it?"

Your implication is that Hindu gods might be as credible as the Christian God. I disagree. My short answer is that I don't see Hindu gods as credible. I'm willing to compare any other religion to Christianity in terms of credibility. That would give a fuller answer as to why I am not concerned about my eternity in relation to Hindu gods. Aren't you confident enough in Buddhism to compare it to Christianity?
Forget it. You just refuse to answer questions asked of you. You want everything your way. You're spoiled. I won't play your game of I'm afraid to answer questions I don't like.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
So is that a “yes”, you’ve genuinely made effort to seek God, as though your eternity might depend on it?

Your words and actions give the impression you have certainty that God does not exist, and yet you’ve admitted you aren’t absolutely sure. If there’s a possibility that God exists then so does the possibility that you’ve spent the last 30 years being a useful idiot for Satan. Do you deny that possibility?
Your'e a bugger for putting words (and ideas) into my mouth. I have made no effort to 'seek' any god or any religion other than looking at the claims and see whether they look persuasive.

I have never denied that, on the face of it, the Three Abrahamic religions look better than the others because they rad like recorded history. Buddhism comes a bit close. Confucianism is even better, but of course telling us about Confucius' life tells us nothing about whether his beliefs are correct.

And when you come down to it, it's the same with Muhammad. Given a doubt or two his story look at least halfway credible. But it tells us nothing about whether his beliefs are true.

The OT falls down on a number of claims. More and more as we learn more from archaeology.

And the NT is even worse. There is a possibility that an intelligent creator might exist, but I think it is less likely than some unintended origin.

That such a god is anything nto do with the god of the Bible is far more unlikely even than that. It is hardly worth bothering about and I wouldn't were in not that Christianity is constantly trying to badger us into believing a book that fails to be credible under scrutiny. It's significant that you show little interest in contesting that, you prefer to try to exploit infinitesimal possibilities for a particular god being real, while ignoring (I'm sure that You haven't considered any of them) all other possible gods. That I'm a willing tool of Satan seems less probable than I am unwittingly being operated by aliens in a flying saucer.

As for you, do you deny the possibility that you could be accepting a book you evidently don't know too well and labouring under a misconception?

In a way, I have addressed your point about comparing Christianity with other religions. While I agree the Hindu gods aren't too credible (but who says they have to look like us?) but the others actually look better than the Gospels, which come apart in credibility when you compare them.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Forget it. You just refuse to answer questions asked of you. You want everything your way. You're spoiled. I won't play your game of I'm afraid to answer questions I don't like.
A new nickname for you! Phetaroi the Flouncer!

#epicflounce #notsosureaboutbuddhism

Old 10-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Your'e a bugger for putting words (and ideas) into my mouth. I have made no effort to 'seek' any god or any religion other than looking at the claims and see whether they look persuasive.
Thank you for clarifying. I really wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to simplify the question enough to get a definite 'yes' or 'no' answer.

Quote:
I have never denied that, on the face of it, the Three Abrahamic religions look better than the others because they rad like recorded history.
Would you agree that Christianity is the most credible of the Three Abrahamic religions?

Quote:
Buddhism comes a bit close. Confucianism is even better, but of course telling us about Confucius' life tells us nothing about whether his beliefs are correct.

And when you come down to it, it's the same with Muhammad. Given a doubt or two his story look at least halfway credible. But it tells us nothing about whether his beliefs are true.

The OT falls down on a number of claims. More and more as we learn more from archaeology.

And the NT is even worse. There is a possibility that an intelligent creator might exist, but I think it is less likely than some unintended origin.
Is that a faith statement?

Quote:
That such a god is anything to do with the god of the Bible is far more unlikely even than that. It is hardly worth bothering about and I wouldn't were in not that Christianity is constantly trying to badger us into believing a book that fails to be credible under scrutiny. It's significant that you show little interest in contesting that, you prefer to try to exploit infinitesimal possibilities for a particular god being real, while ignoring (I'm sure that You haven't considered any of them) all other possible gods. That I'm a willing tool of Satan seems less probable than I am unwittingly being operated by aliens in a flying saucer.
If Christianity were demonstrated to be the most credible of all religions, would that be reason enough for you to "worth bothering about" it?

Quote:
As for you, do you deny the possibility that you could be accepting a book you evidently don't know too well and labouring under a misconception?

In a way, I have addressed your point about comparing Christianity with other religions. While I agree the Hindu gods aren't too credible (but who says they have to look like us?) but the others actually look better than the Gospels, which come apart in credibility when you compare them.
I've been upfront about being relatively new to Christianity and that I've yet to finish reading the whole Bible. Is reading the whole Bible a prerequisite for becoming a Christian? No. Some people only begin to read the Bible for the first time after having an encounter with God. Why go on about how much of the Bible I've read? Is your implication that if I had read more of the Bible I would be less likely to believe it?

You asked me if I ever consider the possibility that I could be "labouring under a misconception." On rare occasions I will have a bit of doubt, but I don't think anyone's view of reality is absent some doubts, no matter what it is. If it's a fair question to ask if we are living in a simulation, then we have to abandon any expectation of certainty about reality. I am open to considering all sorts of potentialities, including many paranormal and supernatural phenomena. I always want to be learning and adding new pieces of the "big picture" puzzle that is reality.

If there is any new information you think I should consider, let me know.

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 10-03-2019 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-03-2019, 04:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Q: Have you ever genuinely endeavored to seek God?

Are you saying you'd need some very compelling reasons before you would even begin a genuine search?
Why would I want to?

What is this god going to do for me?

What is this god going to do for me that I cannot already do or cannot do with the help of another?

That god will do absolutely nothing very slowly.

The christian god is immoral and morally inferior to me, so why would I seek that god?

The christian god is unethical and ethically inferior to me, so why would I seek that god?

The christian god is fickle; a poor leader; a bad teacher; inept at planning, organizing and decision-making; and not very intelligent, in fact, less intelligent than I.

In short, that god is just like an absentee slum-lord.

Why would I seek such a god?

Like the christian god, all gods arose in the imaginations of men who desired to exert and maintain control over others.

It would be folly to waste time seeking something imaginary -- no different than the Spaniard who wasted his life looking for the Fountain of Youth (but managing to wreck havoc along the way).

Beliefs in a soul or after-life are false beliefs stemming from sheer ignorance.

The concept of a soul was invented to explain consciousness, because no one understood cellular structure and organization, much less brain chemistry, and they couldn't even fathom the existence of a cell.

That's the Great Irony.

The juxtaposition of it all. They adopted the belief in a soul because they could not comprehend the nature of cells and cellular structure and organization, but if I attempted to convince them that cells are real and exist, they would claim they cannot see cells, and so I must be getting my info from a demon.

Hell exists because ancient texts were mistranslated.

The concept of Heaven is nothing more than a corrupted view of the Sumerians. For the Sumerians, Heaven was a real physical place in this world, not in some ethereal world or alternate dimension or plane of existence.

It got corrupted like a really bad urban myth.

Like in a communications class where the teacher/professor tells a student "There's a 3-alarm fire at Mel's Diner on Main Street" and then by the time that info reaches the last student in the class it's morphed into "There's a sale at Macy's."

Well, it's like that.

Different cultures in Asia Minor/Middle East omitted elements of the Sumerian view that didn't mesh with their political or social situation and added elements that did, and by the time you get to the 1st Century BCE the whole concept is totally corrupted.

All of your beliefs are based upon fantasies and ignorance and not on reality.

What's truly astonishing is people aren't intelligent enough to recognize that.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
A new nickname for you! Phetaroi the Flouncer!

#epicflounce #notsosureaboutbuddhism
No.

All you have to do is start actually answering questions you're asked.
You don't.
That's dishonest.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:42 PM

Why are you so mad at God? What did God do to you for your bloomers to be in such a bunch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why would I want to?

What is this god going to do for me?

What is this god going to do for me that I cannot already do or cannot do with the help of another?

That god will do absolutely nothing very slowly.

The christian god is immoral and morally inferior to me, so why would I seek that god?

The christian god is unethical and ethically inferior to me, so why would I seek that god?

The christian god is fickle; a poor leader; a bad teacher; inept at planning, organizing and decision-making; and not very intelligent, in fact, less intelligent than I.

In short, that god is just like an absentee slum-lord.

Why would I seek such a god?

Like the christian god, all gods arose in the imaginations of men who desired to exert and maintain control over others.

It would be folly to waste time seeking something imaginary -- no different than the Spaniard who wasted his life looking for the Fountain of Youth (but managing to wreck havoc along the way).

Beliefs in a soul or after-life are false beliefs stemming from sheer ignorance.

The concept of a soul was invented to explain consciousness, because no one understood cellular structure and organization, much less brain chemistry, and they couldn't even fathom the existence of a cell.

That's the Great Irony.

The juxtaposition of it all. They adopted the belief in a soul because they could not comprehend the nature of cells and cellular structure and organization, but if I attempted to convince them that cells are real and exist, they would claim they cannot see cells, and so I must be getting my info from a demon.

Hell exists because ancient texts were mistranslated.

The concept of Heaven is nothing more than a corrupted view of the Sumerians. For the Sumerians, Heaven was a real physical place in this world, not in some ethereal world or alternate dimension or plane of existence.

It got corrupted like a really bad urban myth.

Like in a communications class where the teacher/professor tells a student "There's a 3-alarm fire at Mel's Diner on Main Street" and then by the time that info reaches the last student in the class it's morphed into "There's a sale at Macy's."

Well, it's like that.

Different cultures in Asia Minor/Middle East omitted elements of the Sumerian view that didn't mesh with their political or social situation and added elements that did, and by the time you get to the 1st Century BCE the whole concept is totally corrupted.

All of your beliefs are based upon fantasies and ignorance and not on reality.

What's truly astonishing is people aren't intelligent enough to recognize that.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:30 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Why are you so mad at God? What did God do to you for your bloomers to be in such a bunch?
What is motivating you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality