Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
What is lent?
"But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."

sometimes ya gotta kick it up a notch and do a little fasting too . . .
(and donate that skipped-meal money to the poor)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 09:12 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Since Pentecost the Christian congregation is Not under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law.
This is why 1st Corinthians 8:8 informs us that food does Not commend us to God.
Whether we ' eat or do not eat ' now makes No difference.- Colossians 2:16

Old 02-25-2020, 10:59 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Since Pentecost the Christian congregation is Not under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law.
This is why 1st Corinthians 8:8 informs us that food does Not commend us to God.
Whether we ' eat or do not eat ' now makes No difference.- Colossians 2:16
“ But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.”

Old 02-26-2020, 07:40 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

I naturally fast quite frequently, so that's no biggie unless I consciously think about it. And I'm working on a non-profit to assist in alleviating some of the burdens the poor and civil servants face.

Fasting

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...16&version=NIV

And with that in mind the Bible says clergy should be sober and the Deacon of little wine, so the rest of us should be okay. No sense in going all radical for Lent observance.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:41 AM

Day 1

Happy first day of Lent everyone!

Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I always get a kick out of people that make a show of giving stuff up and living what they call a "pious" life, then go out on Friday night and get blitzed at a party, drinking beer and eating fried food.

And before anyone wants to scream at me for being anti-anyone, attendance at fish fries is common among many denominations in my area.
Do they also go out and eat shellfish?

Do you eat shellfish BFun?

Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Do they also go out and eat shellfish?

Do you eat shellfish BFun?
Instead of following BaptistFundy around trying to i-groom him into the man you desire you should cut the chase and ask him out...that would help you tremendously in keeping on topic here and the Christianity forum.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:03 AM

78 posts, read 27,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Even the word Easter means: Resurrection of Spring, and Not of Christ.
It's only called that in English and German. What do you make of the people observing Pascha in countries like France or Russia ?

Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHJ7 View Post
What do you make of the people observing Pascha in countries like France or Russia ?
The word Pasha originates from the celebration of the Jewish Passover and the Hebrew word Pesach, which means to pass over.

http://days.pravoslavie.ru/rubrics/canon416.htm

Old 02-26-2020, 01:23 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't grow up observing Lent, but it is a practice in the Episcopal Church. Nowadays it seems people either take on a spiritual practice (like adding the reading of a Psalm each day in Lent) OR, one that I heard suggested and did a couple of years ago was to take one item a day during Lent that you really don't need or use anymore and put it in a bag. It can be clothing or anything.

Yes, it's an easy and practical way to declutter, but it does also make one aware of how many superfluous possessions one has, which is the spiritual side.

My Greek Orthodox friend gives up chocolate chip cookies. She's an addict, so that's a real sacrifice for her.

Think I'll give up turnips.
I give up okra and Brussels sprouts. And I am pious in depriving myself of okra and Brussels sprouts the entire year, not just for lent. Because that's the sort of devoted ideologue I am. Clearly, I can content myself in the certainty that God will find me impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality