Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 01:18 PM

11,086 posts, read 6,030,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You too are going to hell for that one!
God can't send thrill to hell - it would be violating his free will!

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-26-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 01:19 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
You are saying it is intellectual process and you are not against anything or anybody
but I read your post it doesn’t feel that way
For true atheists yes it is an intellectual process
But few are on this forum -mostly just folks angry at their church and parents for not accepting their new life style

Old 04-26-2020, 01:23 PM

51,026 posts, read 24,518,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You are saying it is intellectual process and you are not against anything or anybody
but I read your post it doesn’t feel that way
For true atheists yes it is an intellectual process
But few are on this forum -mostly just folks angry at their church and parents for not accepting their new life style
Huckleberry, it doesn't have to be one or the other. A person can be involved in an intellectual process and ALSO be angry at organized religion. And it doesn't necessarily have to do with some particular life style. But, your prejudice against alternate lifestyles in noted. Of course in some countries, christianity is an alternate lifestyle.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:23 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,973,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I understand where you’re coming from. And if I believed that God “set it up” to be like this, or could do something about suffering but won’t, I’d be on board with you. The only reason I ever respond to posts like yours is not because I need anyone to believe in the existence of God, nor think God needs that. It’s simply that, for me, I know that being open to experiencing God has been hugely beneficial in my life, so I like to encourage people not to shut themselves off to that possibility just because some beliefs about God are either untenable or make God out to be a monster. They are, after all, just ideas about how it all works. But as long as one hangs onto ideas — like your ideas and some Christians — as being fact, they might just be unable to be as open as they could to what God is doing. Maybe as a result we are standing in the way of an answer to our suffering, individually and collectively, more than we realize?

More power to you, Pleroo. God knows where I live. He can knock on my door anytime He wants. I certainly won't be knocking on His.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 04-26-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 01:30 PM

11,086 posts, read 6,030,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Not at all, Pleroo.

Glad to hear you found your way out of that mess called Christianity, Pleroo.

God & evil...hmmmm. I don't think God has any interest in stopping evil. I mean if He has totally divorced Himself from us as I believe He has then evil doesn't even exist for Him. I feel this way: picture a man standing by while a child is being beaten senseless. He simply doesn't want to get involved.

We'd call that man evil. Why? He wasn't beating the child, why should he be as culpable as the person beating the child? Well, because in our innate sense of justice we think the only kind of man who wouldn't intervene is either a sociopath or a coward. Which is God? Bottom line: if God has the power to intervene and He doesn't then He's probably an evil uncaring, unfeeling sociopathic coward.

I mean nobody but NOBODY can imagine the depths of the horrors and evils innocent children from the cradle to early adolescence are subjected to in this filthy evil world. It would stagger your mind. And God set all this up. The blame lies squarely at His doorstep and yet He doesn't do a thing to stop it.

Let Christians chew on this: more atheists are made out of sexually abused kids than any other cause. God is deliberately turning these innocents away from Him, not to Him and He couldn't care less. That to me is the very definition of evil. God is no better than a man who sold his child to another man who he knew was a sexual predator for cash and then stood by while the man abused the child right in front of him.

I'm glad for you, Pleroo if you get some good out of communing with God. I say anything that helps us get through this rotten world is worth using. I don't and I couldn't, seeing what I see God allowing to happen. By that definition, He's evil.
Quote:
I'm late to the party and I'm just reading the first post in this thread. Hope you don't mind me responding to it, Thrill.

As I see it, there is an energetic, creative, living force that I call God. I was delivered from long-held detrimental Christian beliefs and I give credit to God for that. I don't think God has the ability to "stop evil", short of, perhaps, annihilating us. But maybe not even that is a possibility. Perhaps because we are actually a part of God and cannot be done away with. Whatever. I don't have all the answers. I only know that I have experienced God in my life. The thought of purposely cutting myself off from consciously experiencing the very thing that has healed and sustained me in my life makes no sense to me. Not that I believe that it is necessary for anyone to acknowledge God in order to experience God, but for me, it certainly enhances my ability to be receptive to the good that I believe is flowing to all of us.
Perhaps Pleroo has a point. His take is the one I see as making sense in the aspect of a 'personal God'.

If on the other hand, thrill is correct then I would be right behind him in kicking thrill's god to hell and gone. I would have plenty of reasons to hate and despise this god! This god needs to be tried and punished for war crimes!

But I don't think such a 'creator god' exists for what that is worth.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:30 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Quote:
More power to you, Pleroo. God knows where I am. He can knock on my door anytime He wants. I certainly won't be knocking on His.
You would open the door to a God you believe is evil?! Not me. That’s my point.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Perhaps Pleroo has a point. His take is the one I see as making sense in the aspect of a 'personal God'.

If on the other hand, thrill is correct then I would be right behind him in kicking thrill's god to hell and gone. I would have plenty of reasons to hate and despise this god! This god needs to be tried and punished for war crimes!

But I don't think such a 'creator god' exists for what that is worth.
Neither do I.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
God can't send thrill to hell - it would be violating his free will!

Too rights it would!

Old 04-26-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You would open the door to a God you believe is evil?! Not me. That’s my point.

I think you missed MY point, Pleroo. Do I think God is going to assault me when I open my door to Him? Certainly not. That would go against my belief He doesn't gets involved in anything down here. So He's not going to be knocking on my door anytime soon--to slap me OR to pat me on the head, right?

Any evil God possess comes solely from His ability to act but choosing not to act. The buck stops with God but God just throws it back to man and says, "Solve it yourself." That's what we would call "passive evil" I think.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I think you missed MY point, Pleroo. Do I think God is going to assault me when I open my door to Him? Certainly not. That would go against my belief He doesn't gets involved in anything down here. So He's not going to be knocking on my door anytime soon--to slap me OR to pat me on the head, right?

Any evil God possess comes solely from His ability to act but choosing not to act. The buck stops with God but God just throws it back to man and says, "Solve it yourself." That's what we would call "passive evil" I think.

Ah, I get you now. But then that means that when you said God is welcome to knock on your door you still wouldn’t answer it because you would assume it was just somebody playing ding dong ditch. So, still, my point is valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality