Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I will admit that I may have a "little" shot of Jack Daniels. Black label, if you please.
Is there any other kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Then I'll ruin the whole thing by getting jolly.
Ah sure, is it not an expert we're dealin' with here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
I tried that green label stuff once. Never again. Makes my toenails curl to think of it. Nasty stuff. Anyhow, I have been known to hoist one or three.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
I generally have two fingers of a decent whiskey just before bed. I hold both fingers straight out from my fist and use it as a guide as to just how much I am getting. If it has been a tough day, I may repeat the process. The two fingers I use is the pinky and the index finger.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
If I could have just convinced some of the bartenders to measure like that. It's been a good while since I've seriously prospected for the bottom of a bottle. I like to think I've gotten wiser. One of these days I'll tell you about the ghostly encounter that set off just such a prospecting adventure.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:50 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Osayo, my brothers and sisters, the month of February is known as Bony Moon,Kagali.

This is the traditional time of personal family feasts for the ones who had departed this world. A family meal is prepared with place(s) set for the departed. This is also a time of fasting and ritual observance. A community dance officiated by a "doctor" Didanawiskawi commonly refer to as a Medicine-person. Connected to this moon is the "Medicine Dance".

So when you celebrate the family this month don't forget those that have come before us and have set the foundation for who we are, set a place for them at the family table in honor of their memory and talk of the things that they have contributed to making us who we are today and always keep them within our hearts and our minds. osay

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Osayo, my brothers and sisters, the month of February is known as Bony Moon,Kagali.

This is the traditional time of personal family feasts for the ones who had departed this world. A family meal is prepared with place(s) set for the departed. This is also a time of fasting and ritual observance. A community dance officiated by a "doctor" Didanawiskawi commonly refer to as a Medicine-person. Connected to this moon is the "Medicine Dance".

So when you celebrate the family this month don't forget those that have come before us and have set the foundation for who we are,

Quote:
set a place for them at the family table

how similar to Elijah............not really Jewish are you??????????????????

Quote:
in honor of their memory and talk of the things that they have contributed to making us who we are today and always keep them within our hearts and our minds. osay
Wado, brother

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM

I am BLOWN AWAY..........

The Scots have nothing on the Irish (and my mothers father was a MacKenzie).

I am a fan of Laphroaig. I LOVE their cask strength. Their 10 yo single malt is great. I love the heavy peat of the Islay Scotches.

I just finished a bottle of Connemara single malt Irish. It is a peated single malt from the Atlantic side of Ireland. every bit as nice as the Laphroaig. Unfortuantely all I got was the last 2 fingers (see above) in the house. How could I ever forget it was there? Actually I know....was saving it for a special occasion. But it sure hit home tonight.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I am BLOWN AWAY..........

The Scots have nothing on the Irish (and my mothers father was a MacKenzie).
Nope! In fact the Irish seem to have a leg up on the Scots. Irish whisky is triple-filtered (at least), while Scotch Whisky is typically (but not always) double-filtered. It DOES make a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I am a fan of Laphroaig. I LOVE their cask strength. Their 10 yo single malt is great. I love the heavy peat of the Islay Scotches.

I just finished a bottle of Connemara single malt Irish. It is a peated single malt from the Atlantic side of Ireland. every bit as nice as the Laphroaig.
And that clarifies the inevitable human differences in preferred tastes!

Personally I do not care, at all, for what I classify as the "sea-weedy" taste of the peated liquors such as Laphroaig, no matter where they may originate or how many times they're filtered. Many of them come from Scotland (Islay scotches), and more than a few come from Ireland.

Once the "sea-weedy" taste has been eliminated, I prefer that my liquor have SOME taste other than the alcohol itself. I do not like, for example, any of the Glenmorangie varieties of Scotch because the alcohol always seems to dominate. Neither do I truly appreciate "The Glenlivet" Scotch because to my palette it tastes like water with added alcohol. I DO like MacAllen and Balvenie Double-Wood because, to me, the alcohol takes a back seat to the other, definite, flavors. And, as I've said before, I like Jameson and Powers' Irish Whisky.

To my long-term friend Goodpasture I say, should you ever show up on my doorstep, I'll have a bottle of Laphroaig or Connemara waiting for you.

To the rest of you, all ya gotta do is communicate your tastes BEFORE you show up on my doorstep, and the same hospitality will be waiting.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (Southern California)

Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
To my long-term friend Goodpasture I say, should you ever show up on my doorstep, I'll have a bottle of Laphroaig or Connemara waiting for you.
I need to get you some Choctaw beer some day. You know who the Choctaw are, right?

Quote:
In 1894 a report to the U.S. Congress claimed that Choctaw beer was a "compound of barley, hops, tobacco, fishberries, and a small amount of alcohol."
Quote:
In the mid-1900s, when questioned about his choc beer, an Oklahoman said, "It won't hurt nobody cause fruit's good for ya, but it'll make you drunker than a fool. Don't put snuff in it, that would kill a dog! As good as it is, every body should have two or three glasses a day. My family always felt good."
CHOC BEER
Stanley Clark, "Immigrants in the Choctaw Coal Industry," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 33 (Winter 1955-56). Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 23 September 1915, 28 November 1942, and 17 August 1981.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 PM

322 posts, read 317,242 times
Quote:
Who will sit with me in the sacred circle of peace, harmony and understanding.
Among my culture we have a tradition that has existed for centuries.

Whenever we come together to discuss things of great importance it is always done within the sacred circle. Anyone is welcome to come and sit within the sacred circle and participate in the discussions, however all animosity, hatred and prejudice are left outside of the sacred circle, these things are not allowed within its confines and each individual who steps within the sacred circle is expected to help govern it and be responsible to see to it that peace, harmony, and understanding prevail within the sacred circle.

So now my brothers and sisters, I invite you to step within the sacred circle and tell us about your beliefs or non-beliefs without criticism or animosity to one another.

Remember, all are welcomed here who come with a good heart.
i love u. peace to u from my heart to yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality