Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Beautiful Ft Polk. it exists in case the world ever needs an enema.
It is also the home of about 20% of the U.S. population of mosquitoes, and about 35% of our red-bugs (aka chiggers) and ticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexorcist View Post
Why is this thread so long?
I got to thinking about this question. Just why IS this thread so long. I have to admit that when it gets back on page two or three I want to post something to bump it, but I want the bump post to be either meaningful or entertaining. I don't wanna do "bump"

I think one thing is the willingness to share. A friend sent me an email today with their weekly "quote" where it said "To be heard, you must first listen" and there is a lot to that. I love it when Woodrow and Fullback and Nighteyes and others share bits of their culture and beliefs. I want to learn, I want to understand, I do not want to convert. And of all the threads on the Religion and Philosophy forum, this is the only one I am aware of that doesn't try to convert or persuade...........

Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,027,226 times
I heard this on the radio over the weekend and today remembered to post it here:

Toward Living Memory with Tiya Miles [On Being]

"For Black History Month: a MacArthur "genius" who's unearthing an especially painful chapter of the American experience — the intersecting history of African-Americans and Native Americans, and the little-known narratives that Cherokee landowners held black slaves. Even with history this difficult, Tiya Miles shows us the possibility of stretching the canvas of the past wide enough to hold both hard truths and healing."

Do you think she succeeds?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I heard this on the radio over the weekend and today remembered to post it here:

"For Black History Month: a MacArthur "genius" who's unearthing an especially painful chapter of the American experience — the intersecting history of African-Americans and Native Americans, and the little-known narratives that Cherokee landowners held black slaves. Even with history this difficult, Tiya Miles shows us the possibility of stretching the canvas of the past wide enough to hold both hard truths and healing."

Rob, you bring up a very interesting subject and a very timely one. It is true that some Native Americans did have slaves and it is an unfortunate period of time in our history but one thing I would like to point out is that the slaves that most Native Americans owned were treated with respect and were eventually allowed to become members of the tribe. Here's some interesting reading on the history of the Freedmen.

FREEDMEN

Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

Each and every one of us has violence and hate in our ancestries. Yes there are lessons to learn from the past, because if we do not learn we will repeat the errors. But there is a much more important and current lesson to be learned. That is to throw stereotypes aside and discover each human is an individual.

No man is guilty of the crimes of his ancestors, nor does he inherit the glory. They were actions of our ancestors not ours. each of us has very powerful and good people in our heritage each of us also has evil ancestors.

None of us is quilty or exonerated by our ancestors. They earned the reward or shame of their own actions. Just as each of us will earn the reward or shame of our own actions.

No man need ask any man to forgive him for the sins of his ancestors. He is not the one who did the act.

So the lesson of history we all must learn is to not associate the sins of a man's ancestors with the man of today. My ancestors the Tatars and Mongols who became the Peaceful Lietuva Lipkas, were perhaps the most brutal people to ever live. But I owe no man an apology for their actions as I did not do them and I will not apologize for what any other man has done nor will I ever expect or even desire any man to apologize for the actions of his ancestors.

The lesson of history should be there are no real stereotypes, just errors assuming there are. The Ancestors are not the children. Each of us is an individual and guilty only of the crimes we our self commit.

Heritage is a good thing to have and preserve, but it should be the lesson to guide us on the path to be what we want to be. It is not us, it is a lesson.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Earth teach me quiet ~ as the grasses are still with new light.
Earth teach me suffering ~ as old stones suffer with memory.
Earth teach me humility ~ as blossoms are humble with beginning.
Earth teach me caring ~ as mothers nurture their young.
Earth teach me courage ~ as the tree that stands alone.
Earth teach me limitation ~ as the ant that crawls on the ground.
Earth teach me freedom ~ as the eagle that soars in the sky.
Earth teach me acceptance ~ as the leaves that die each fall.
Earth teach me renewal ~ as the seed that rises in the spring.
Earth teach me to forget myself ~ as melted snow forgets its life.
Earth teach me to remember kindness ~ as dry fields weep with rain.

by Douglas Spotted Eagle

SunRise Prayer - YouTube

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Had to share this one too

Navajo Pow Wow in Baghdad Iraq at Saddams old Palace - YouTube

Live in Iraq 2007-2008 - YouTube

Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Oh, Great Spirit. Whose voice I hear in the winds, and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me, I am small and weak, I need your strength and wisdom.

Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have made in my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have taught my people. Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy--myself

Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes. So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my spirit may come to you without shame.

Arrival Native American Singing - YouTube

Last edited by ptsum; 02-15-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM

There's nothing like warriors in prayer, is there?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Came across this and thought it was worth posting:

Quote:
A young Buddhist initiate asked his mentor to describe hell. "Ah, hell," the monk said, "it is like a large banquet hall with countless rows of tables laden with sumptuous meals and delicious drinks." "But Teacher," the surprised initiate said, "I thought those in hell would suffer." "Oh, they do." answered the monk. "You see, there are four-foot long chopsticks permanently attached to their hands. Although they can pick up the food, the length of the chopsticks makes it impossible to reach their mouths."

"That's horrible. Teacher, tell me about heaven." the initiate pleaded. "Ah, heaven," the monk sighed, "it is like a large banquet hall with countless rows of tables laden with sumptuous meals and delicious drinks, and permanently attached to everyone's hands are four-foot long chopsticks." "But Teacher, isn't that the same as hell?" the initiate stuttered. "No," the monk replied, "the people are different. Although they cannot feed themselves, they feed each other!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality