Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Text STORM to 80888 for Salvation Army. Text REDCROSS to 90999 for Redcross. Text FOOD to 32333 for Reg. Food Bank for OKC Tornado

If you want to donate on-line to the animals from OKC and those coming into the shelter from other areas who need medical or other care after these tornadoes, please go to www.okc.gov/animalwelfare and follow the link to the Donation Station. You can choose from a variety of donation options, including the Angel Fund, which pays for medical care for animals needing care. Thank you on their behalf!
Thank you for this Goodpasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
A little late, but I wish all the fathers in the Circle a (albeit belated) wonderful Father's Day. I intended to visit yesterday but wasn't feeling well plus stressing .... er, studying... for my mid-terms today.

Many blessings
pnc

Good luck with your mid-term exams..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,816 times
Quote:
The term Indian was not from a confusion with India, but from the Spanish expression "En Dios", meaning "in God" or a similar one in Italian, Proponents include the American Indian Activist Russell Means, the author Peter Mattiessen, author of "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse", a view of American Indian History through the life and trials of Lakota activist Leonard Peltier, and the comedian George Carlin...In his book "The Wind Is My Mother", the Muskogee writer Bear Heart, wrote when Columbus found natives here, they were gentle people, who accepted him, so Columbus wrote in his journal..They are people of God ~ una gente in Dios ~ later the 's' was dropped, and Indio became "Indian"...

~Wisdom of the American Indian & searches from Internet sites, People of God~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
found this interesting...........
There is whole lotta whites who consider natives as gods and their words as guide and "religion". Interesting is how many native is offended by that.

I would be happy if someone would take my wisdom to his/her guide he hee Anyone? I can teach to blabber too much in a wrong place just because that is fun And I just got one guy to marry his girlfriend, I am good at that Talk with me and you appreciate what is next to you I should open my own circle -thread and to share my unique wisdom, don't you think?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,027,226 times
From Native American name controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Europeans at the time of Christopher Columbus's voyage often referred to all of South and East Asia as "India" or "the Indias/Indies," sometimes dividing the area into "Greater India," "Middle India," and "Lesser India."[2] The oldest surviving terrestrial globe, by Martin Behaim in 1492 (before Columbus' voyage), labels the entire Asian subcontinent region as "India".[3]
Columbus carried a passport in Latin from the Spanish monarchs that dispatched him ab partes Indie ("toward the regions of India") on their behalf. When he landed in the Antilles, Columbus referred to the resident peoples he encountered there as "Indians" in the mistaken belief that he had reached the Indian Ocean.[4] Although Columbus' mistake was soon recognized, the name stuck; for centuries the native people of the Americas were collectively called "Indians." This misnomer was perpetuated in place naming; the islands of the Caribbean were named, and are still known as, the West Indies.
In the late 20th century, some American public figures suggested that the origin of the term was not from a confusion with India, but from the Spanish expression En Dios, meaning "in God," or a similar one in Italian. Proponents of this idea include the American Indian activist Russell Means;[5] the author Peter Matthiessen, author of In the Spirit of Crazy Horse, a view of American Indian history through the life and trial of Lakota activist Leonard Peltier; and the comedian George Carlin.[6]
In his book The Wind Is My Mother, the Muskogee writer Bear Heart (Nokus Feke Ematha Tustanaki) wrote, "When Columbus found the natives here, they were gentle people who accepted him, so Columbus wrote in his journal, 'These are people of God' ("una gente in Dios"). Later the 's' was dropped and Indio became Indian."[7] However, as the writer David Wilton noted in his book Word Myths: Debunking Linguistic Urban Legends, this phrase does not appear in any of Columbus' writing. Wilton also says that since Greek and Roman times, more than a millennium before the voyages of Columbus, many European languages used variations of the term "Indian" to describe the peoples of the Indian subcontinent.[6]
^ a b Wilton, David (2004-12-02). Word myths: debunking linguistic urban legends. Oxford University Press, USA. p. 163. ISBN 978-0-19-517284-3. Retrieved 2011-07-03.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Me, I consider myself Tsalagi, not Indian...

Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Default Prayer to Mother Moon

Thank you Mother, for your light. May it dissipate the fog of uncertainty and shine upon all that is true.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM

Today is the first full day of the summer season when during this time Grandmother Earth will be in full bloom. We thank you Grandmother Earth for all of your summer bounty and look forward to the harvest in the fall.osay

Old 06-22-2013, 10:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Thank you Mother, for your light. May it dissipate the fog of uncertainty and shine upon all that is true.
Perhaps I should add a bit of background to what might appear to some to be a rather enigmatic, out-of-the-blue post.

At 62, I am closing in on the end of my path. For most of the past two years, I have been searching for a home on a lake, with a bit of land, in the Ontario near-North.

About two weeks ago, after many false hopes had arisen and dissipated, my SO and I found such a place, put in an offer, and had it accepted. We will soon be living on land visited frequently by deer, fox, moose and eagles. It will be on the shore of a lake that offers walleye, muskie, pike, lake trout, whitefish, crappie, largemouth and smallmouth bass - along with various tasty panfish - hard water, or soft.

To make such a transition I leave behind a home in which I raised two sons and within which they will stay - for how long - who knows?

So, after spending what felt ages in a sort of limbo of broken possibilities, I/we are faced with a life-altering reality. A new adventure, very likely my last, awaits.

Last night, I saw a near-full moon shining through a veil of cirrus clouds. As I gazed and marveled, the prayer posted above came to mind. My computer was near and darned if that mind/computer/post meld-thing didn't occur and Boom! - there it was.

I am excited and more than ready for this fork in my path. Yet change from long-held circumstances, familiar places, people and friends, will present challenges.

Hence I asked Mother Moon for clarity of vision and judgment.

And that's the story of that.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
This has been making the rounds and is very interesting........and is presumed to be a translation directly from Aramaic into English (rather than from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to English)
Quote:
The Lord's Prayer

O cosmic Birther of all radiance and vibration!
Soften the ground of our being and carve out a space within us where your Presence can abide.
Fill us with your creativity so that we may be empowered to bear the fruit of your mission.
Let each of our actions bear fruit in accordance with your desire.
Endow us with the wisdom to produce and share what each being needs to grow and flourish.
Untie the tangled threads of destiny that bind us, as we release others from the entanglement of past mistakes.
Do not let us be seduced by that which would divert us from our true purpose, but illuminate the opportunities of the present moment.
For you are the ground and the fruitful vision, the birth-power and fulfillment, as all is gathered and made whole once again.
It should be noted, however, that we do not have the Aramaic original of the Lord's Prayer. All versions of the NT we have descend from the Greek. We have later versions, including one in Syriac, a close cousin of Aramaic, but it descends from the Greek. Anyway, it doesn't differ. Scholars can guess what the Aramaic original looked like. The Greek preserves some Aramaicisms and when retrojected into Aramaic parts rhyme. Further, it is not at all clear that any of the books of the NT started out in Aramaic versions. Although Aramaic orality clearly underlies much of the content, and most of the authors of the Bible spoke Aramaic and wrote Aramaic-colored Greek, we have no real proof of Aramaic originals. Most scholars assume the books of the NT started out in Greek.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Sounds almost like a Native American prayer and if you'll notice that prayer never asks for individual favors, it always asks for the good of all and not the individual, which is typical of the prayers of the Native Americans. Very interesting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality