Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times

Advertisements

[Looking for clear exit route BEFORE posting] Last night it got all the way down to 46 degrees. Right now, at Casa Nighteyes, it is 61 degrees.

====================================

We haven't had even one night where the temperature fell below freezing in seven or eight years. Worse, however, haven't gotten our customary winter rain. North of us, the Sierras haven't gotten much snow. It's gonna be an awfully dry summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
I suppose I could try to talk to people at college instead of keeping to myself.
You already said it, though not in these words -- you didn't get where you are overnight. Therefore, perhaps you shouldn't attempt to make your return journey in just a few weeks.

If I may suggest, start with ONE person, and pick him/her fairly carefully. Then after some practice with the one, pick another. Later, pick another...

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
I'm not sure if we have anyone in the Circle who lives in the area affected by yesterday's storm in the South. I hope not. Judging by the news coverage it's been an awful thing to deal with.

Hoping everyone is well, safe and warm.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
DoDropInn,it is good that you are concerned for the welfare of others in this time of unpredictable and unusual weather. I think we all should take the time to look in on the elderly and our animal friends to see if they need any help and comfort during this time.osay

Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
DoDropInn,it is good that you are concerned for the welfare of others in this time of unpredictable and unusual weather. I think we all should take the time to look in on the elderly and our animal friends to see if they need any help and comfort during this time.osay
For most of the past three weeks our temperatures have hovered between -20F and -35F. Those are daytime highs. We feed birds all year round and deer in the winter. During this cold snap, the population using our "food bank" has doubled and I'm going through about 50-60 pounds of birdseed and deer feed a week.

A couple of deer occasionally sleep next to my boat in a portable garage/tent I use for off-season storage. It cuts the wind and the wolves won't venture so close to the house.

It does my heart good to see my furred and feathered buddies remaining healthy and strong when life outdoors poses such challenges.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
The Cherokee Word for Water is a feature length motion picture that tells the story of the work in the Bell Community that lead Wilma Mankiller to become the first modern female Chief of the Cherokee Nation.
Quote:
Plot Outline: Set in the early 1980s, The Cherokee Word for Water begins in the homes of a small town in rural Oklahoma where many houses lack running water and others are little more than shacks. The movie is told from the perspective of Wilma Mankiller and full-blood Cherokee organizer Charlie Soap who join forces to battle opposition and build a 16-mile waterline system using a community of volunteers. In the process, they inspire the townspeople to trust each other, to trust their way of thinking, and to spark a reawakening of the universal indigenous values of reciprocity and interconnectedness. This project also inspired a self-help movement in Indian Country that continues to this day.

White Wolf: New film "Cherokee Word For Water": Story of the first modern female Chief of the Cherokee Nation. (Video)

Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 PM

My sister and her husband live in rural southern Alabama. They had two inches of ice, and tree limbs were down everywhere. Their house is fine, and they've got plenty of propane, firewood and other supplies. Folks and dogs are all safe, sound, warm and dry.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Southern Alabama getting snow is kinda like Nebraska getting a hurricane......just doesn't happen. I have friends in Grand Bay and although they are fine and keeping warm, they sure do whine a lot.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
I can understand the pain and helplessness of people who have never had to deal with Mother Nature's freezing side.

My (warm) thoughts are with them.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
-4 here a little warmer temps coming in with snow this weekend. I do not do winter well at all.

Apparently neither does our furnace. It is working very hard, but can only sustain a 50 degree temp. Have furnace people arriving again shortly. It is still under warranty though. I hate heatpumps I call ours a "cold pump".I am used to the gas/steam heat we enjoyed for over 30 years before we had to move closer to town.

Electric bill was near $560 for December. Hate for January's bill to come in..

Rant over, I feel better now..Still cold though
Miss Blue, when we were stationed at Ft. Knox, we had a heat pump in the base housing. I had never heard of them before, but I quickly found I didn't like them too much. They didn't warm things up in the winter and didn't do so well with cooling things down in the summer. They seem to be quite popular though. I had always heard they were supposed to be energy efficient and to lower your bills? $560 doesn't sound like a low bill to me. I have an online friend in Louisville who is also not doing so well with the cold this winter. Is it colder there than normal? If so, that's saying something, since I remember my 4 years in Kentucky as being the coldest place I've ever lived, even more so than in Berlin, Germany.

It is cold here (Houston) this winter.... when WE get snow and ice, I can't imagine what the rest of the country is going through. Brrrr~! Hope this helps warm y'all up!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality