Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
Sorry, I must've been more tired than usual that night

Exactly. That's very succinctly my point exactly. Humans can't fly by flapping our arms no matter how much we want to. We also can't escape the finality of death no matter how much we might want to.
I wish someone would have mentioned that before I broke my ankles jumping off that roof...

Old 09-15-2020, 11:16 AM

256 posts, read 114,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's remarkable how much we obsess about death all the time. Almost as much as we obsess about sex. Interesting that they are the two most potent evolutionary drives.
They're opposite ends of the cycle. Sex is the spark that can initiate the cycle of life and death is the end of that cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wish someone would have mentioned that before I broke my ankles jumping off that roof...
Sorry, that won't work without some kind of contraption, and even most of those won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 11:27 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,809,033 times
Quote:
Don't tell me you didn't glue feathers on first

Quote:
They're opposite ends of the cycle. Sex is the spark that can initiate the cycle of life and death is the end of that cycle.
Perfectly true, which doesn't alter the fact (or so I see it) that they are both obsessions of humanity and are the most significant evolved conditions, and not just for humans.

Quote:
Sorry, that won't work without some kind of contraption, and even most of those won't work.
Well, just because those things don't work in the usual way of things doesn't prove that they are always not going to work. One has to have a little Faith.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:

When I was little, my mother came home to find me heading up the ladder to the roof with an umbrella in my hand not long after we saw Mary Poppins in the theater because my older brother told me that you really could fly if you jumped off the roof with an umbrella.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:41 PM

464 posts, read 203,486 times
Not sure, OP. I'll let you know when I get there. Look me up on the Ouija Board and I'll pay you a visit (devious laughter)

Old 09-15-2020, 05:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post
Not sure, OP. I'll let you know when I get there. Look me up on the Ouija Board and I'll pay you a visit (devious laughter)
If you see me after I die ... kill me please.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:42 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,809,033 times
Quote:
When I was little, my mother came home to find me heading up the ladder to the roof with an umbrella in my hand not long after we saw Mary Poppins in the theater because my older brother told me that you really could fly if you jumped off the roof with an umbrella.
Ouch. Sorry. I thought you were kidding about.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ouch. Sorry. I thought you were kidding about.
Well, I never got there because Mom came home. Eventually I learned that my big brother wasn't always acting in my best interests.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Well, I never got there because Mom came home. Eventually I learned that my big brother wasn't always acting in my best interests.
As the oldest of six, I can testify that it's in our contract.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 PM

950 posts, read 696,035 times
What irks me are the religious fundies who use the Afterlife of Hell to frighten people into joining their religion. Religion is supposed to be about love, and yet the fundies constantly use fear for their faith. Even the idea of Hell itself is unthinkable, that is, a place where people are tortured forever. Here on Earth, even if someone is tortured temporarily, it is considered cruelty. Yet the fundies insist that Hell is a place where people are tortured forever. And this they believe is the destiny reserved for all the Atheists. Even if the Atheist was law-abiding and charitable all his life, he will still wind up in an Eternal Hell, according to the fundies. That kind of idea goes beyond the pale for me, it's unthinkable.

Fortunately, most of the participants on this thread do not believe in any kind of Afterlife at all, so they would not fall into gullibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality