Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 05:38 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no beginning =
always was, always will be
correct. a beginnings means it came into existence and anything that is born dies. brahman exists, no beginning and no end.
the world is a projection of our mind. it has a relative existence not absolute. this requires explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Something has to inform the practice unless one just randomly prays and meditates,
waiting for random inspiration. Even the Buddha had to go through a lot before
he sat under the tree. Or maybe the idea is that life itself provides the information
for inspiration. Just stop, pray, and meditate using whatever we have at that moment.
then just keep doing the process as often as possible or desirable.
Live, stop, pray/meditate, live, stop....

that's kind of what we're doing out here in C-D land.
Live, post, read post, think, post,live,read,post...
the vedas are the scriptures that govern daily life. vedānta are the end of each of the 4 vedas. these are philosophical discourse that sort of sidesteps the scriptures and some just ignores them. they are called upanishad and are named after the seer, some have no name. Advaita is a school of thought based 10 of the most important of the Upanishads and assets the oneness of the Brhmam and Atma, the universal and individual. the split occurs due to ignorance in the jiva, the individual being. the purpose of life is to remove the ignorance and realize one’s true self, that shines with its own brilliance, eternal, and tranquil.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:08 AM

the Vedas also have several Slokas, prayers, for worship. they have amazing imagery and also contain many of the Advaitic principles contained within them in a subtle manner. they see a oneness in a multitude of deities.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:24 AM

802 posts, read 983,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
the vedas are the scriptures that govern daily life. vedānta are the end of each of the 4 vedas. these are philosophical discourse that sort of sidesteps the scriptures and some just ignores them. they are called upanishad and are named after the seer, some have no name. Advaita is a school of thought based 10 of the most important of the Upanishads and assets the oneness of the Brhmam and Atma, the universal and individual. the split occurs due to ignorance in the jiva, the individual being. the purpose of life is to remove the ignorance and realize one’s true self, that shines with its own brilliance, eternal, and tranquil.
It can be a simple, but profound, intuitive shift in perspective for some lucky people.
Most others (like me) should be prepared, step by step, to make the shift.
Maybe the reward is proportionate to the effort.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 09-01-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-02-2020, 10:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
It can be a simple, but profound, intuitive shift in perspective for some lucky people.

yupperz ...

a disoriented brain coming back on line and aligning everything it knows it a more meaningful way. mystic did it through meditation others just have a jarring event in their lives. I wouldn't call the jarring event "lucky" every time.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I think that points to karma and reincarnation. I have approached my exploration of advaita with not much faith in the two concepts. but it is becoming plausible to me that the only thing that remains of our life is consciousness, everything else perishes.

what advaita says is that the consciousness, because of the desires that are carried in it, and not having fully realized its true nature within a lifetime, becomes sentient again, hopefully in a human form, so it can evolve some more.
each jiva with a consciousness on its own path of self-dicovery over a single life time.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:43 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
I think that points to karma and reincarnation. I have approached my exploration of advaita with not much faith in the two concepts. but it is becoming plausible to me that the only thing that remains of our life is consciousness, everything else perishes.
You are beginning to get it - consciousness is really all there is. The physical is simply the venue and processes for reproducing consciousness in the living God.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:11 PM

802 posts, read 983,964 times
Quote:

what advaita says is that the consciousness, because of the desires that are carried in it, and not having fully realized its true nature within a lifetime, becomes sentient again, hopefully in a human form, so it can evolve some more.
each jiva with a consciousness on its own path of self-dicovery over a single life time.
There seems to be a philosophical conundrum about "true nature" that I haven't found addressed in the literature yet. With so many Vedic texts and karikas and interpretations passed along from teacher to teacher across generations, "true nature" can be seen differently. Brahman can be seen differently from person to person. However, it should be a unification, not a diversity, shouldn't it?
I could address this in a different thread if you like. It probably gets into the Brahma Sutras.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
There seems to be a philosophical conundrum about "true nature" that I haven't found addressed in the literature yet. With so many Vedic texts and karikas and interpretations passed along from teacher to teacher across generations, "true nature" can be seen differently. Brahman can be seen differently from person to person. However, it should be a unification, not a diversity, shouldn't it?
I could address this in a different thread if you like. It probably gets into the Brahman Sutras.
From everything that I have read, not that many considering how MUCH there is, I don't see the nature of Brhman seen differently, but with the same consistency. I have not read the Brhma Sutras but I doubt it would be different, but I don't know.
If you think a new thread would be a good way to talk about it that is fine with me.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:

everything is just a series of states changes expressing information. The question is "Are those state changes happening in a manor to express information in a meaningful way?"

well, one look around and the answer of "no" is such an extraordinary claim that needs to be justified.

Your last stance points to an evolving universe. Witten does some talks on it. And it is a very real possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality