Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2023, 01:17 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: I am a realist, Tzaph. There is a separation between belief about God and the world of work. I have many professional "offspring" whose professional standing would be harmed by it whether or not that SHOULD be so. It is what it is! I look down on no one and I tire of having to defend myself from that misperception (I do not excuse my communication style from culpability). I have tried to be very circumspect (even misleading) about my professional identity to protect my anonymity for that very reason.
= being ashamed
a person being ashamed of who they are and what they believe
being ashamed means believing there is something wrong with it

i have no idea what a "professional offspring" is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 01:20 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
OK then, how do you know god is living?
and what do you mean by god is living and alive?

genuine question, asked sincerely
I know by the indirect evidence of your consciousness that you are living. I know by DIRECT CONTACT AND IMMERSION IN God's consciousness that God is living. Consciousness is inconceivable to me absent LIFE.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:23 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
= being ashamed
a person being ashamed of who they are and what they believe
being ashamed means believing there is something wrong with it
i have no idea what a "professional offspring" is
Not ashamed, Tzaph. You do not understand because you do NOT know what professional offspring are in the Ph.D. world.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:37 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
::Sigh:: I am a realist, Tzaph. There is a separation between belief about God and the world of work. I have many professional "offspring" whose professional standing would be harmed by it whether or not that SHOULD be so. It is what it is! I look down on no one and I tire of having to defend myself from that misperception (I do not excuse my communication style from culpability). I have tried to be very circumspect (even misleading) about my professional identity to protect my anonymity for that very reason.
If you don't want to be thought of as a crackpot, you could always try... not being one.

It's not your communication that's the issue. It's your hypothesis.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Not ashamed, Tzaph. You do not understand because you do NOT know what professional offspring are in the Ph.D. world.
feeling soiled (generic Google search here ) = "disgustingly dirty; filled or smeared with offensive matter" smeared with fecal matter. that's how the post described how they feel, that their reputation would be soiled. by discussing who they are and what they believe.

and so they don't share it and they hide it. yes, that is shame. and fear. fear of what will people think, what will people say, what will people do, what will be the consequences.

so then explain for us (invitation for anyone to respond, discussing a mindset and behavior here, not any specific individual person), anyone explain in your own terms for us readers: what are they afraid would happen? Someone is retired for 22 years, hiding who they are so as not to soil their professional reputations with "disgustingly dirty filled or smeared with offensive matter, with fecal matter."

spell it out, what do you (generic you, anyone who cares to respond) fear would happen? and can you see how this is placing far greater value and importance on "what people think about them" (22 years after retirement), over just plain owning who they are and what they believe. which is more important to you, in your own eyes which has more value? because what you are describing is boasting about the one (retired academic), and hiding concealing the other (encounter with divinity). so as not to taint that which you value more.

describe the feared consequences for us. and how it soils a person to the extent their professional reputation becomes "disgustingly dirty filled or smeared with offensive matter, with fecal matter."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-05-2023 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-05-2023, 01:46 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
feeling soiled (generic Google search here ) = "disgustingly dirty; filled or smeared with offensive matter" smeared with fecal matter. that's how you said you feel, that your reputation would be soiled. by discussing who you are and what you believe.

and so you don't share it and you hide it. yes, that is shame.

so explain in your own terms then for readers: what are you saying would happen? Someone is retired for 22 years, hiding who he is so as not to soil their professional reputations with "disgustingly dirty filled or smeared with offensive matter, with fecal matter."

spell it out, what do you fear would happen?
Really Tzaph, you don't have to be so literal about everything.
I perfectly understood what Mystic meant.

To be honest, I don't see you sharing a whole lot about your religion and we are on an anonymous forum.
The only reason I even know what religion you are is because I remember MQ mentioning it.
People can share what they want to share.
Often it is about the perception other people have. Obviously Mystic is not ashamed of his beliefs here on this anonymous forum. He's one of the most open people here. Out there in the world, its another matter.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:50 PM

I remember when we first moved to America my husband told me to not mention I'm an atheist because of how I might be perceived.
I'm not a person who cares about that kind of thing. I'm not going to hide it. But I know what he meant. He was thinking about others perceptions and prejudices.

Old 10-05-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Really Tzaph, you don't have to be so literal about everything. I perfectly understood what Mystic meant. To be honest, I don't see you sharing a whole lot about your religion and we are on an anonymous forum.
The only reason I even know what religion you are is because I remember MQ mentioning it. People can share what they want to share. Often it is about the perception other people have. Obviously Mystic is not ashamed of his beliefs here on this anonymous forum. He's one of the most open people here. Out there in the world, its another matter.
bold above, in what way? spell it out for us.
what is the big bad fearful bugaboo that is so dreaded?

Old 10-05-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
bold above, why is that? in what way? spell it out for us.
what is the big bad fearful bugaboo that is so dreaded?
Why don't you share with everyone what religion you are?
I can't recall you ever mentioning it.

Old 10-05-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Why don't you share with everyone what religion you are?
I can't recall you ever mentioning it.
i have written about it extensively in many places throughout the forum.
this isn't talking about individual posters. what is shared in posts is an opening or springboard to discuss ideas, views, beliefs, behaviors, mindset which appear in the posts. discussing the views, not the individuals posting.

so i am noticing and asking about and responding to the behavior of fear and shame around "what will people think" "what will people do" as it relates to people feeling they have to hide who they are instead of being able to just be themself. in the context of religion and spirituality because that is the section of the forum this topic resides in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality