Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2020, 08:59 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Judaism teaches that G-d is incorporeal. So that where He says in Genesis: "Let us make man in our image..." He is really discussing with His angels about making man in the physical image of angels. At least, this was the interpretation of the medieval Torah commentator Rabbi Solomon Yitzchaki.

You don't have to believe it. I'm only mentioning it here for those who might find this interesting.
You don’t believe it was in the image of G-d, spiritually speaking?...

Old 10-21-2020, 09:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You folks are both Jewish, right? You don't agree on everything?

Old 10-21-2020, 09:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
People often seem to disagree about doctrine. Even atheists. Especially when the politics differ, it seems. It's why Organised religion tries to keep them in line. However rival denominations apparently seem to differ, too.

Quote:
I believe that the original idea of God (or G*d, if you prefer) in Genesis was of a huge, even visible, human. But these days the idea is more of a cosmic spirit. The the idea of made in the same image is more of a same sort of Spirit. Or that's the impression i got.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I’d just like to see her take on it a bit further...If she cares to respond...

Old 10-21-2020, 09:46 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Rashi explains the quote from Genesis ("Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...") this way: Man was made in the physical image of the angels because G-d is incorporeal. But man was made in the spiritual likeness of G-d, with the ability to understand and discern.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Rashi explains the quote from Genesis ("Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...") this way: Man was made in the physical image of the angels because G-d is incorporeal. But man was made in the spiritual likeness of G-d, with the ability to understand and discern.
Yes, that’s what I understand...So, not to physical likeness, though...

Old 10-21-2020, 09:51 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Seriously? You've never heard the expression, "Two Jews, three opinions?"

ETA: I just Googled the phrase for the fun of it, and it's amazing how many sites popped up!

I particularly liked this one:

We all nod in agreement when we hear the phrase. We chuckle when we hear the anecdote about the Jew who was discovered after years of living alone on a desert island. His rescuers noticed that he had built two huts. He told the puzzled people that they were shuls — “one is the one in which I pray, and the other is the one into which I would never set foot.”

https://www.thejewishstar.com/storie...opinions,18066

Old 10-21-2020, 09:59 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Seriously? You've never heard the expression, "Two Jews, three opinions?"

ETA: I just Googled the phrase for the fun of it, and it's amazing how many sites popped up!

I particularly liked this one:

We all nod in agreement when we hear the phrase. We chuckle when we hear the anecdote about the Jew who was discovered after years of living alone on a desert island. His rescuers noticed that he had built two huts. He told the puzzled people that they were shuls — “one is the one in which I pray, and the other is the one into which I would never set foot.”

https://www.thejewishstar.com/storie...opinions,18066
LOL! This is why so many Jews become lawyers. We historically argue so much among ourselves that some practical one among us eventually figured out: "Why not make a paying profession of it?"

Old 10-21-2020, 10:45 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
However neanderthals were created is a irrelevant today as dinosaurs. Daydreaming about matters eons ago will not help with the challenges we face in the present.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:47 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
However neanderthals were created is a irrelevant today as dinosaurs. Daydreaming about matters eons ago will not help with the challenges we face in the present.
I don't feel that history -- even geological or biological history -- is ever irrelevant as man searches for answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality