Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read his books?

If so, in the book "Your Sacred Self" it is subtitled "making the decision to be free" and isn't that the point of the teachings of Christ that Christians so often forget?

He talks about how beliefs are forced upon us by society, our parents..etc. and that to be free means that beliefs must be contrasted by what you know.

"Beliefs are handed to you. Knowings come from within." (pg 96)

"Beliefs will let you down in a crisis. Knowings never let you down" (pg 97)

"Your beliefs are mental exercises. Your knowings are physical exercises." (pg 99)

"Beliefs restrict you. Knowings empower you." (pg 100)

"Your beliefs are transitory. Your knowings are eternal." (pg 101)

Does any of what Wayne says contradict what we know about belief and knowing from the bible or anywhere else for that matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Yeah, beliefs are mental constructs ... ideas about what is and not what is ... they are products of conditioning and have nothing to do with clear seeing ... seeing without the overlay of thoughts and preconceived notions about reality.
Ultimately, if one wants true freedom, one needs to leave the realm of beliefs and enter into (be in) the present with a clear mind, free of conditioning.
The bible will still be there when (after) your mind is free and clear (it may take awhile )and then you'll find out whether or not it still has value to you and is still relevant to your spiritual quest.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yeah, beliefs are mental constructs ... ideas about what is and not what is ... they are products of conditioning and have nothing to do with clear seeing ... seeing without the overlay of thoughts and preconceived notions about reality.
Ultimately, if one wants true freedom, one needs to leave the realm of beliefs and enter into (be in) the present with a clear mind, free of conditioning.
The bible will still be there when (after) your mind is free and clear (it may take awhile )and then you'll find out whether or not it still has value to you and is still relevant to your spiritual quest.
Yes.. after reading his book I can see that belief is just a condition of the mind and not absolute truth. However, the words he uses were called "new age nonsense" to me by friends.

So I was curious if others felt that way as well... what he says makes sense to me.. especially when he talks of energy and the transfer of energy from one person to another.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,802 times
Dyer has concisely outlined the gap between dogma and knowing. It's not "New Age crap" at all. It's actually a modern way of saying what every ancient religion has said, devoid of their dogmatic idiosyncrasies. Another great example of these teachings are found in Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now." It transcends religious boundaries and gets to the heart of what every ancient spiritual teaching has been saying for centuries.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yes.. after reading his book I can see that belief is just a condition of the mind and not absolute truth. However, the words he uses were called "new age nonsense" to me by friends.

So I was curious if others felt that way as well... what he says makes sense to me.. especially when he talks of energy and the transfer of energy from one person to another.
I've only channel surfed by him in the past when i used to watch t.v..
He used to be on PBS.
So i don't really know him but no red flags have gone up when i've seeing him speak.
I think you might want to follow your own heart and mind and trust yourself.
If you're devoted to truth and liberation, you'll find people who you resonate with you in that regard and they can help you along the way.
They're like travelers along your way ... giving you little cues and signs and tips in order to help you along.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 10-20-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,917 times
I think he's okay, but I am just the wrong person for his work. Reason being, I have already read and have some (but I would never claim "complete") understanding of the various religions and spiritual paths that he is drawing from and simplifying, even though he barely states what the religions are.

Clearly, he takes his cues from Taoism, Buddhism, and applied comparative religion. If I had not studied Taoisma and Buddhism, it would be cool, but I have and his books, as a result, seem kind of watered down to me.

Funny, when someone has a piece of non-fiction that is a simplified version of a religious teaching, I am turned off, but when I see a simplified version of a religious teaching in fiction, I LOVE IT.

Take "Avatar:The Last Airbender". The fact that fundies through a fit about Harry Potter, which had nothing to do with real witchcraft, but say nothing about Avatar, which, from a non-fundie but a "I-kind-of-know-what-I'm-talking-about" stand point looks like an all out Buddhist recruitment tape, is proof positive that they're idiots. In one episode the Airbender, Aang, was sitting with a Guru and he had to open the sixth Chakra by abandoning his attachment to his earthly desire, which the guru said, were "impermanent"... That is some straight-up Buddhism!

Getting of the subject, I know, but I just find it funny that so many kids are being subjected to Eastern Religious instruction right under their fundie parents noses

Anyway, back to Wayne Dryer.

If you like him, I would suggest you read anything by Thich Naht Hanh. He is a well known Zen Master originally from Vietnam, who's books are amazing, even for a non-Buddhism. They are very general and even a non-Buddhist, like me, can learn allot from them.

A good place to start are his books "Being Peace" and "The Miracle of Mindfullness".

Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Dyer has concisely outlined the gap between dogma and knowing. It's not "New Age crap" at all. It's actually a modern way of saying what every ancient religion has said, devoid of their dogmatic idiosyncrasies. Another great example of these teachings are found in Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now." It transcends religious boundaries and gets to the heart of what every ancient spiritual teaching has been saying for centuries.
Yes I like his books. It's like taking all the religious stuff and boiling it down to the bare essentials. I think we can learn alot from all religions as well as people like Dyer.

I also like to read Don Miguel Ruiz... he has some great inspirational books as well.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I've only channel surfed by him in the past when i used to watch t.v..
He used to be on PBS.
So i don't really know him but no red flags have gone up when i've seeing him speak.
I think you might want to follow your own heart and mind and trust yourself.
If you're devoted to truth and liberation, you'll find people who you resonate with you in that regard and they can help you along the way.
They're like travelers along your way ... giving you little cues and signs and tips in order to help you along.
Yes, thanks for the post! I take all I can when it comes to learning about spirituality.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Has anyone read his books?

If so, in the book "Your Sacred Self" it is subtitled "making the decision to be free" and isn't that the point of the teachings of Christ that Christians so often forget?

He talks about how beliefs are forced upon us by society, our parents..etc. and that to be free means that beliefs must be contrasted by what you know.

"Beliefs are handed to you. Knowings come from within." (pg 96)

"Beliefs will let you down in a crisis. Knowings never let you down" (pg 97)

"Your beliefs are mental exercises. Your knowings are physical exercises." (pg 99)

"Beliefs restrict you. Knowings empower you." (pg 100)

"Your beliefs are transitory. Your knowings are eternal." (pg 101)

Does any of what Wayne says contradict what we know about belief and knowing from the bible or anywhere else for that matter?
I always liked Dyer, I still have his first book "Your Erroneous Zones" you could try and get a copy of that if there are any out there. LOL I don't think cassettes were available at the time and people did not take him seriously.

We can be influenced with our thoughts once we start to grow up and think we understand what adults are talking about.

One thing I have always remembered from him is "what you think about expands" this is so true if you keep something in your mind that is bothering or upsets you.

LOL as Loretta LaRoche said " Get them off you bus" she's great if you can catch her pbs once in awhile.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I always liked Dyer, I still have his first book "Your Erroneous Zones" you could try and get a copy of that if there are any out there. LOL I don't think cassettes were available at the time and people did not take him seriously.

We can be influenced with our thoughts once we start to grow up and think we understand what adults are talking about.

One thing I have always remembered from him is "what you think about expands" this is so true if you keep something in your mind that is bothering or upsets you.

LOL as Loretta LaRoche said " Get them off you bus" she's great if you can catch her pbs once in awhile.
Funny.. I just told my husband that what he is thinking about (the cars need fixing, money is tight... etc) will just fester and rot inside him the more he thinks about it. Pretty soon it consumes you.

I think I have a copy of erroneous zones that I picked up at a used bookstore. I haven't seen Loretta but I will see what I can dig up online. I have several of his books.... oh no it is "There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem."

I started this thread because I intended to give the book to my mom who was struggling with something at the time but she said that Dyer was a "new ager" and a form of anti-christ or something. So I just kept it and have been blessed. I think it is phrases like "the divinity within" and such that she didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality