Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 01:46 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
In order words all atheists are too stupid to know anything and that is the reason only you can know what we think or know.

And you think that your word games have shifted the burden of proof from your claims onto those who have not accepted your claims.

IF I state the explicit that I have not seen credible evidence or argument for a God that does not Implicit mean that I claim there is No God.

Your are entirely focused on using word games to make your agenda sound scientific, rational, and logical. It is none if those
Yes, it does. If you explicitly say the evidence that EXISTS is NOT evidence of God that DOES IMPLY that God does NOT exist. Think about what you said in bold. Since ALL the evidence you have available to you is what EXISTS but you say it is NOT evidence of God, what does that IMPLY about what exists?

Old 12-16-2020, 02:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
In order words all atheists are too stupid to know anything and that is the reason only you can know what we think or know.

And you think that your word games have shifted the burden of proof from your claims onto those who have not accepted your claims.

IF I state the explicit that I have not seen credible evidence or argument for a God that does not Implicit mean that I claim there is No God.

Your are entirely focused on using word games to make your agenda sound scientific, rational and logical. It is none if those
The problem is bad that you denied a simple claims that we are in a living system when the claim fits x>6 out of the seven basic traits given to life. My question is just how is your opinion worthy of you declaring you see no credible evidence? Because most people would think that 6 out of 7 traits aint bad.

I just don't see how your are even qualified to say anything but "I don't know enough to determine it either way."?

Old 12-16-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One thing that I've found in forums (and other forms of social media) is that -- like all things -- they evolve. Sometimes in a way that I see as positive, other times in a way that I see as negative. There's a Buddhist forum I loved participating in for quite some time. I rarely visit it anymore. Perhaps I've changed, or perhaps it changed...or perhaps it didn't change. I love talking politics, but I learned fairly quickly that the "Politics & Other Controversies" sub-forum here was definitely not for me; I don't go there anymore.

There are a lot of religionists here who want this to be a praise forum. That's not what this is. There are such forums out there on the internet. Perhaps they should do some searching.

But I'll tell you the most valuable lesson I learned from the early years in school administration. I didn't learn very much from the colleagues and associates who believed the same thing I believed or who were "yes men". I learned the most from people who had different views that I did and who didn't hesitate to tell me when they disagreed with me. When my predecessor principal, whom I worked under for several years, left for a new school she said to me, "Victor, you're the one who often kept us out of trouble because you were willing to play devil's advocate. I didn't like hearing what you had to say, but more than once you saved us from going down a wrong path".

To christians and other religionists on this forum: I suggest you listen to the naysayers. Listen and think. If it's a critique about your belief-system that you don't like, it's still worthwhile seeing if there is something in what they're saying.

To atheists on this forum: I suggest you listen to the religionists. Listen and think. If it's a critique about your lack of a belief-system that you don't like, it's still worthwhile seeing if there is something in what they're saying.

When I became an atheist a few short years ago, I pretty much threw out christian thought. Being here has changed that a bit for me. No, I don't buy the christian version of things, but I have been reminded -- by some of the decent christian posters here -- that there are many fine christians, some fine christian churches/denominations, and that there is wisdom in the NT (even if it's inconsistent, from my point of view).
I am going to have to agree with this right here post my self.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm surprised that christianity realizes it is so fragile as to be endangered by a handful of atheists on this forum. Oh ye of little faith.
No..Christianity is not worried...it's the Alpha on the world stage of theological concepts.
I was addressing this board only. That only has a couple hundred participants, of any camp.
I was noting that a forum for anything, having more content that is contrary to the subject of the forum, is very unusual.
One would be hard pressed to find another.
I mean...if you went to a forum/board for UFOs, or ghosts, etc ...you probably would not find a majority of posts from people who "lack belief those things exist" telling/challenging the people discussing those things. And with some of the "no such thing as UFOs/ghosts/etc" people putting TENS OF THOUSANDS of posts on that board.
Wild!
Based on this...I'm thinking there is probably a few other ways to define some Atheists.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:38 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No..Christianity is not worried...it's the Alpha on the world stage of theological concepts.
I was addressing this board only. That only has a couple hundred participants, of any camp.
I was noting that a forum for anything, having more content that is contrary to the subject of the forum, is very unusual.
I mean...if you went to a forum/board for UFOs, or ghosts, etc ...you probably would not find a majority of posts from people who "lack belief those things exist" telling/challenging the people discussing those things. And with some of the "no such thing as UFOs/ghosts/etc" people putting TENS OF THOUSANDS of posts on that board.
Wild!
Based on this...I'm thinking there is probably a few other ways to define some Atheists.
The forum is for the people who are actually here.
Perhaps most christians find a praise forum to participate in.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:38 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Wild!
Are you equating believing in God with a belief in UFOs and ghosts? A belief in God is mainstream. I'm sure the UFOers get their fair share anyway. If the UFOers wanted laws based on their belief in UFOs and had any chance of making that happen you might see more of it. I'm glad there are atheists who post. Some of us were kept from that conclusion and it helps to see how others arrived at it. We do talk to each other as well. It's good to look at other perspectives. I doubt there will be any minds changed but it helps to see what someone else sees and know where they are coming from.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, it does. If you explicitly say the evidence that EXISTS is NOT evidence of God that DOES IMPLY that God does NOT exist. Think about what you said in bold. Since ALL the evidence you have available to you is what EXISTS but you say it is NOT evidence of God, what does that IMPLY about what exists?
It implies that so far everything I know exists does not include a God. It does not imply that I believe that God does not exists. I really don't know why you are so dishonest in your arguments. Not sure why you brag about all the logic and rational as well as science backs you when you make such a simple error of logic. Not seeing evidence for but not saying there is definitely No God is another way of saying you don't know but refuse to accept a claim without a good reason to accept said claim.

I understand that you believe you are in charge of definition, rules and science however news flash...your are not

Old 12-16-2020, 04:44 PM

We that came to the conclusions ourselves and stayed with it despite the over whelming numbers against us have to remember that some people need the reinforcement.

And an outlet for therapy does fit what we see going on here. I keep saying anti-religious and I forget about the therapeutic part. I mean we can't have people offering reliable evidence for some god beliefs when some people are in the mist of grieving.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 12-16-2020 at 05:02 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 05:05 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The problem is bad that you denied a simple claims that we are in a living system when the claim fits x>6 out of the seven basic traits given to life. My question is just how is your opinion worthy of you declaring you see no credible evidence? Because most people would think that 6 out of 7 traits aint bad.

I just don't see how your are even qualified to say anything but "I don't know enough to determine it either way."?
Once again I have no clue what you really mean

Old 12-16-2020, 05:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Are you equating believing in God with a belief in UFOs and ghosts? A belief in God is mainstream. I'm sure the UFOers get their fair share anyway. If the UFOers wanted laws based on their belief in UFOs and had any chance of making that happen you might see more of it. I'm glad there are atheists who post. Some of us were kept from that conclusion and it helps to see how others arrived at it. We do talk to each other as well. It's good to look at other perspectives. I doubt there will be any minds changed but it helps to see what someone else sees and know where they are coming from.
"Other perspectives", "seeing what someone else sees and know where they are coming from"...that's all well & good.
But...telling the people that are discussing the very subject a forum is titled (especially somethng as mainstream as Religion) that they are wrong, brainwashed, "steeple", indoctrinated, delusional, even a terrible threat, is just not at all what you would find almost anywhere else.
And, again...some Atheists put up TENS OF THOUSANDS of posts...that are directly contradictory to the subject of the board, and those that embrace it.
They are not giving a "differing perspective"..they outright challenge and revile the people discussing the subject. Even tell them their worldview relative to the subject of the forum, is "the worst threat to mankind".
I've never seen anything like it. But I actually find that to be an attraction for me...but, then, I'm kinda twisted in what I find to be amusing.
How should we define Atheists who would do that?
Also...the moral/social basis for laws is subjective...no basis is much better than any other...and theological philosophy and precepts are no better or worse than any other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality