Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2020, 04:38 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am really trying to understand how normally intelligent people can fail to see what seems to me and Arach to be obvious relevancy and connections to topics. Defining atheism is all about defining what it means to believe that God has nothing to do with our Reality or existence. How do you try to understand how anyone could believe that without talking about the science we know about our Reality and existence?
for some reason they have to lock us down into a very specific set of conditions. ex: Binary thinking.

I believe that reason is that you clearly see that when we are free to think (free thinkers) it starts to look like people that believe in something have some evidence.

if the thread is defining atheism ... post the definition and shut the thread down.

if we are going to allow people to talk about how people express atheism and/or how we see the various claims on god actually are outside of the definition of atheism ... let's let it go.

atheist claim we are rational, logical, and remain in reality. Then surely we aren't afraid of challenges and cross examination.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:50 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
I am really trying to understand how normally intelligent people can fail to see what seems to me and Arach to be obvious relevancy and connections to topics. Defining atheism is all about defining what it means to believe that God has nothing to do with our Reality or existence. How do you try to understand how anyone could believe that without talking about the science we know about our Reality and existence?
I am trying to understand how normally intelligent people still do not understand after this has been explained before. Many atheists simply reject the ideas of gods without asking what the alternatives are. There is nothing in not believing in gods that asks what are the alternatives?

You are saying all atheists must consider the alternatives, because you want to talk about your opinions.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:54 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well...the reason that it is typical for it to be considered "against the better interests of polite company" to discuss Religion and/or Politics...is because they can be "heated" topics.
For a Forum titled "Religion and Spirituality" (previously Religion and Philosophy)...to be so heavily trafficked by Militant Atheists is very strange. Kinda like having a forum for "Luxury Beachfront & Vacation Homes and Properties" that has mostly proponents of Section 8 Housing contributing to the discussion, even regulating it.
If we are militant for posting here, then so are the theists.

Quote:
So, what we have here...is a debate about the meaning of a concept that is essentially the antithesis of the title of the forum.
Please excuse the God Believers on a Religion and Spirituality forum for having a less than co-operative agreement about the meaning of a word that denotes not believing in or embracing Religion & Spirituality.
As we can see, the definition is very important to the theists and spiritual people here because they are discussing it.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
It's not for the atheist to define the god that the theist believes in. It is logically for atheism to reserve belief until the evidence is presented. The 'god' -believer can (or should) make it clear what 'God' means to them. It is not for the atheist to say what 'God' means to us.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:58 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
If we are militant for posting here, then so are the theists.
You have a dedicated space, that is quite dormant by the way. This area is for the general public, not someone who's suppose play the role of a seminary student let alone trying to convince others yea/nay about the afterlife.

Quote:
As we can see, the definition is very important to the theists and spiritual people here because they are discussing it.
What else is there to discuss with the non-spiritual?

Old 12-02-2020, 05:17 AM

yes .... that is exactly what we are saying.

fundy theist are the same personality types as militant atheism.

YES YES YES ... that is all we are saying.

atheism and theism both have the same types of people in them ... and they both jerks in them!!!!!!

so we behave like jerks is the solution? or I base my actions on jerks? I decide I am not believing in things a jerk believes in? how is that even rational?

a jerk believes the sky is blue.
hes a jerk so I am not going to say anything he can use about a sky is blue. If I say anything about a blue sky that jerk is going to be real jerky so I am not saying the sky is blue when a kid asks "what color is that?".

thats real logical and not emotionally based.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:57 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
This isn't the science forum. We routinely delete posts about science. This is the Religion and Spirituality forum. Also, we are not looking for a new definition of "reality."

Old 12-02-2020, 05:58 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Thank you

Old 12-02-2020, 06:04 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Well...the reason that it is typical for it to be considered "against the better interests of polite company" to discuss Religion and/or Politics...is because they can be "heated" topics.
For a Forum titled "Religion and Spirituality" (previously Religion and Philosophy)...to be so heavily trafficked by Militant Atheists is very strange. Kinda like having a forum for "Luxury Beachfront & Vacation Homes and Properties" that has mostly proponents of Section 8 Housing contributing to the discussion, even regulating it.
So, what we have here...is a debate about the meaning of a concept that is essentially the antithesis of the title of the forum.
Please excuse the God Believers on a Religion and Spirituality forum for having a less than co-operative agreement about the meaning of a word that denotes not believing in or embracing Religion & Spirituality.
An atheist is a person who does not believe in God (or any gods). Nothing in that definition prevents a person from being Spiritual, or participating in a Religion that does not include a deity. I have even seen a few of the atheists on here mention going to Christian churches with their families.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's not for the atheist to define the god that the theist believes in. It is logically for atheism to reserve belief until the evidence is presented. The 'god' -believer can (or should) make it clear what 'God' means to them. It is not for the atheist to say what 'God' means to us.
Atheism has it definition: if it just that then end the thread. otherwise this is about how atheist think.

I disagree with how you are presenting it here.

Atheism is not "you present your belief and we don't have to.". nor is it binary thinking of yes/no. I do not see that in the definition any where.

Atheist can present what they believe, so long as it is not a deity it is atheism. its that simple. I do not see that in the definition any where we we can't.

atheism is not just reactionary. I do not see that in the definition any where. Meaning we don't have to just react to what people claim. we can offer our position.

example: Mystic, gld and mine. (I include mine because I do not care what some atheist think). Our definitions do not really fit a deity and thus they are far more atheist than theist beliefs.

also, when some types of atheist ask for proof and we give proof, its not in the definition of atheism that we have to say "That is science so ask a scientist.". then don't ask for proof and just say we are talking about faith statements. If we atheist ask for proof and people give it, we can listen.

I must point out, that when we say "no science data here" it implies faith based beliefs in their is no god belief. it kinda looks like nogodfaith to me.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 12-02-2020 at 06:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality