Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 07:53 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Not quite. Christianity is based on the belief that if you do not believe in Jesus, then you cannot be saved, but it does believe that the commandments are for everyone.
Advaita believes the individual mind has no choice but to reincarnate, become sentient, as long as desires persist and karma remains. Those who are realized their true nature and existence become one with the Oneness and have no more incarnations, are complete in their fullness, and carry no karma.
Buddhism recognizes the transience and unreality of the world, but is silent about an existence that transcends time and space.

I am not arguing with you, just stating my observations. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Re the bolded: Of course, there are Christians for whom that is NOT the basis of their belief and who in fact do NOT believe what you wrote. I realize you must surely know this and are saying what you said for illustrative purposes, but I want to make sure that any new members or lurkers don't think what you are saying is true.

Carry on.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:08 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Not quite. Christianity is based on the belief that if you do not believe in Jesus, then you cannot be saved, but it does believe that the commandments are for everyone.
Advaita believes the individual mind has no choice but to reincarnate, become sentient, as long as desires persist and karma remains. Those who are realized their true nature and existence become one with the Oneness and have no more incarnations, are complete in their fullness, and carry no karma.
Buddhism recognizes the transience and unreality of the world, but is silent about an existence that transcends time and space.

I am not arguing with you, just stating my observations. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
paths of religion and spirituality are like a map or vehicle taking us to a destination, showing a path to get there. but they are not the destination. the person pointing at the moon is not the moon. if that destination (purpose, goal, discovery) is recognizing and returning to the Oneness (for example) then we all arrive at the same place.

do the paths look and sound and appear the same on the outside? no, they do not. do people all look and sound and appear the same? No we do not, but we are all humans. my view is that like a loving parent, God just wants us to be in contact with home. Creator does not care if we drive a blue car or a red car, or if we take the train to get there, God just wants us to know how much support we have, that we are never alone, and that we are dearly deeply loved and cherished.

Thank you for your input to the thread it is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 08:33 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Re the bolded: Of course, there are Christians for whom that is NOT the basis of their belief and who in fact do NOT believe what you wrote. I realize you must surely know this and are saying what you said for illustrative purposes, but I want to make sure that any new members or lurkers don't think what you are saying is true.

Carry on.
Quote:
Christianity is based on the belief that if you do not believe in Jesus, then you cannot be saved
That is new to me and thank you MQ, for pointing out that this is not a universal basis for Christianity.

This idea is the one thing early missionaries, maybe current as well, had as as a threat to convert many Brahmins in India in the early 18 and 1900s. There are narratives of college students in hsotels, as young as 15 and 16, suffering isolation and loneliness far from home, who had nightmares of burning in hell after listening to preaching. A whole community en masse from this area converted. Some of them returned, "cleansed", to their natal religion.
Can you mention the denominations that do not subscribe to this, that unless you accept Jesus died on the cross for your sins, you will not enter heaven?

Old 12-09-2020, 08:38 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
paths of religion and spirituality are like a map or vehicle taking us to a destination, showing a path to get there. but they are not the destination. the person pointing at the moon is not the moon. if that destination (purpose, goal, discovery) is recognizing and returning to the Oneness (for example) then we all arrive at the same place.

do the paths look and sound and appear the same on the outside? no, they do not. do people all look and sound and appear the same? No we do not, but we are all humans. my view is that like a loving parent, God just wants us to be in contact with home. Creator does not care if we drive a blue car or a red car, or if we take the train to get there, God just wants us to know how much support we have, that we are never alone, and that we are dearly deeply loved and cherished.

Thank you for your input to the thread it is greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind that Buddhism is not a god-based religion...according to Siddhartha.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:36 AM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Can you mention the denominations that do not subscribe to this, that unless you accept Jesus died on the cross for your sins, you will not enter heaven?
In Scripture, No one who died before Jesus died was offered heaven - John 3:13
Heaven is only offered for people like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18; Rev. 2:10
They are the ones who have a first or earlier resurrection - Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10
The majority of mankind are offered to be part of the humble mild meek who will inherit the Earth - Psalm 37:9-11.
Their earthly resurrection is still future - Acts 24:15 - because they ' will have ' a resurrection.....
- www.jw.org

Old 12-09-2020, 10:10 AM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I accept that. But the problem I have is with stating something as fact, rather than being able to say, "I believe". People need to understand the difference between faith and fact.
Take your own advice, phet, and stop pretending that your belief about the existence of God is NOT a belief. It is NOT a fact.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:33 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
That is new to me and thank you MQ, for pointing out that this is not a universal basis for Christianity.

This idea is the one thing early missionaries, maybe current as well, had as as a threat to convert many Brahmins in India in the early 18 and 1900s. There are narratives of college students in hsotels, as young as 15 and 16, suffering isolation and loneliness far from home, who had nightmares of burning in hell after listening to preaching. A whole community en masse from this area converted. Some of them returned, "cleansed", to their natal religion.
Oh yes, it's been used as a threat through all of Christian history. Yes, indeed.

It's based on the quote of Jesus in the Bible, "No one comes to the Father except through me." There have been extensive discussions on the meaning of this phrase outside of the literalist Christian world, but literalists do not participate in deeper discussions of Scripture and take it all at face value. And, as you pointed out, used those words as a mean to harm and control others.

We're getting off-topic here, though, and I'll take the blame.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:59 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that Buddhism is not a god-based religion...according to Siddhartha.
regardless of the path taken or the name it is given, we all arrive at the same destination. because we are all human. we all come from the same Source, and we all return to the same Source.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:02 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
regardless of the path taken or the name it is given, we all arrive at the same destination. because we are all human. we all come from the same Source, and we all return to the same Source.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:50 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Do you have evidence for that? Actual words in Pali uttered by the Buddha? Or just translations of translations interpreted for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality