Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 01:56 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Fear is the mind killer.

weather its a fear of death or a fear of religion or a fear of anything that one doesn't understand.

It doesn't matter ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wK...74weus&index=7
I love that song. It's one that pops into my head when I get the urge to project.

This has been a recurring theme for me the past few weeks...

We could be Hero's just for one day....nothing can keep us together and nothing can tear us apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 01:59 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's not entirely a bad thing to know you're mortal. It really helps shrink a person down to size. The best of the best? It doesn't matter. The worst of the worst? It doesn't matter. Make some mistakes, get a little fat, look like a dork...who cares? It's not all about you and that's a good thing.

Do you know what does matter? Sing it with me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R552UFoXaA
Right..."It's not all about you". I agree.
And nothing says, "All about me & what I think"...more than telling people, what they love is worthless & their Beliefs are meaningless garbage <<cut>>.
What is with this need to bash, insult, & mock people for having differing beliefs and/or faith?

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-27-2020 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-27-2020, 02:03 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And nothing says, "All about me & what I think"...more than telling people, what they love is worthless & their Beliefs are meaningless garbage <<cut>>.
What is with this need to bash, insult, & mock people for having differing beliefs and/or faith?
If your so concerned about people being told they are worthless you might want to listen to the fundamentalists. You'd lose your mind on their crap. They start out doing this to children and not just random people on message boards. Imagine having your parents tell you that your worthless your entire upbringing based on a few passages out of a book.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-27-2020 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited for language

Old 12-27-2020, 02:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
We are not talking about “different” beliefs. We are talking about wrong beliefs unsupported by evidence or logic. Some beliefs are just plain evil and lead to bad results. The bible advocated for slavery, giving specific and detailed instructions on how to own and beat slaves. Those beliefs weren’t “different”. They were anti-human and objectively evil. We don’t just call a belief “different” and accept its inevitability. We challenge beliefs, and demand evidence as to why they should be believed.

There is zero point zero evidence for the existence of souls and spirits. None. Nada. Until such time that strong evidence is presented to support such a belief, it should be rejected and disbelieved. That’s rational and the best way to live. Best because it objectively comports with reality and is most affirming to the survival and prosperity of rational animals. Aka human beings.

If you believe in a soul, you have to define what you mean and demonstrate why you believe it. Otherwise, you need to question your beliefs to ascertain whether they are true and reflect reality.

I am saying in this case that no evidence has been presented, and the belief should be discarded. If you have evidence that shows your belief is rational, true, and comports with reality, present it. Otherwise throw your belief in the trash. Unsupported irrational beliefs are often harmful and should be discarded.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-27-2020 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 02:35 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
https://youtu.be/z-h_jNiSczw

Sing it with me!

Here’s a funny one from Steve Martin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wogta8alHiU

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 12-27-2020 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 02:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We are not talking about “different” beliefs. We are talking about wrong beliefs unsupported by evidence or logic. Some beliefs are just plain evil and lead to bad results. The bible advocated for slavery, giving specific and detailed instructions on how to own and beat slaves. Those beliefs weren’t “different”. They were anti-human and objectively evil. We don’t just call a belief “different” and accept its inevitability. We challenge beliefs, and demand evidence as to why they should be believed.

There is zero point zero evidence for the existence of souls and spirits. None. Nada. Until such time that strong evidence is presented to support such a belief, it should be rejected and disbelieved. That’s rational and the best way to live. Best because it objectively comports with reality and is most affirming to the survival and prosperity of rational animals. Aka human beings.

If you believe in a soul, you have to define what you mean and demonstrate why you believe it. Otherwise, you need to question your beliefs to ascertain whether they are true and reflect reality.

I am saying in this case that no evidence has been presented, and the belief should be discarded. If you have evidence that shows your belief is rational, true, and comports with reality, present it. Otherwise throw your belief in the trash. Unsupported irrational beliefs are often harmful and should be discarded.
marc, you really aren't a challenge. You don't even know you are in a system my man.

You are going to thump your children as surely as fundy theist is going to marc. Thump them over the head with your beliefs and no other beliefs will be allowed. They will be free so long as they appease the great marc.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:43 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Oh my no god ... we have a theme song now ... to the list it goes. A fine example of a fundy think type atheist running on pure blind faith.

do you have a creed we all should repeat too? do you go to atheist meetings too?

Old 12-27-2020, 02:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:

Any determination (in any way you want to describe the assessment) that is made based upon a premise of a lack of evidence...is a Logical Fallacy.
Of course, that doesn't mean the determination is false/wrong...just that it was made in a way that didn't follow the protocols of Pure Logic.
A true conclusion is guaranteed to follow only a formally flawless argument, based upon a perfectly true premise.
Any flaw in the form of the argument or the premises...invalidates the deductive guarantee. The conclusion can then either be true or false.
You cannot logically base a conclusion (ANY conclusion what-so-ever) on the absence of evidence, rather than the presence of evidence. "No evidence" cannot*be*evidence.
Not even the conclusion that you will adopt a position of disbelief can be logically taken...since that is STILL a conclusion.
If you find (for YOU) no evidence that God, or Soul, or Spirit, etc, exists...the ONLY*logical*conclusion/determination you can come to is either, "I find no evidence", or "I don't know".
ANY other conclusion/determination is a fallacy based in The Argument from Ignorance.
A premise of "no evidence" is not a valid premise to make any determinations or draw any conclusions off of.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:52 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is great faith stuff if one is tuned to that kind of thing.

The simple facts are the observations are there for 6 times more mass than is accounted for and the they do think unseen energy is there. And of course we are not sure. I don't believe its a soul thing at all. But I would present it differently than you do.

Now you claiming anything other than, "ok, but they still aren't sure" is purely you having an emotional need to have your position the only position. A common trait of faith based people such as yourself. The lengths you went to tell us we are so wrong and so far off base tells us that you are vested in your faith. Just like many believers are.
That is a very polite way of telling him he is FOS, Arach. His faith in his unsubstantiated knowledge of Reality that he deems sufficient to justify his blatantly WRONG views is in so many ways WORSE than the religious faith he denigrates. Only the young are so outrageously sure of themselves. Give him time and significantly more education and it should mitigate his views.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:56 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Any determination (in any way you want to describe the assessment) that is made based upon a premise of a lack of evidence...is a Logical Fallacy.
Of course, that doesn't mean the determination is false/wrong...just that it was made in a way that didn't follow the protocols of Pure Logic.
A true conclusion is guaranteed to follow only a formally flawless argument, based upon a perfectly true premise.
Any flaw in the form of the argument or the premises...invalidates the deductive guarantee. The conclusion can then either be true or false.
You cannot logically base a conclusion (ANY conclusion what-so-ever) on the absence of evidence, rather than the presence of evidence. "No evidence" cannot*be*evidence.
Not even the conclusion that you will adopt a position of disbelief can be logically taken...since that is STILL a conclusion.
If you find (for YOU) no evidence that God, or Soul, or Spirit, etc, exists...the ONLY*logical*conclusion/determination you can come to is either, "I find no evidence", or "I don't know".
ANY other conclusion/determination is a fallacy based in The Argument from Ignorance.
A premise of "no evidence" is not a valid premise to make any determinations or draw any conclusions off of.
Casting pearls ... Gldn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality