Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 07:58 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

A thread about the idea of God was closed due to the eruption of discussion science which apparently is against the forum rules. It is a good rule, especially since there is a Science forum that already exists and THAT does not allows discussion of religion.
I wish there was more clarity in how this rule is applied.
If i were to repeatedly pop up on ANY discussion of religion and spirituality and ask for evidence, am i asking for anything other than science for proof?
Spirituality has an inherent rationale and logic that may or may not fit into a science framework. Often it actually does as demonstrated many times. But that is irrelevant to those seeking and discussing spirituality, it is incidental to what they believe and seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 08:11 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A thread about the idea of God was closed due to the eruption of discussion science which apparently is against the forum rules. It is a good rule, especially since there is a Science forum that already exists and THAT does not allows discussion of religion.
If i were to repeatedly pop up on ANY discussion of religion and spirituality and ask for evidence, am i asking for anything other than science for proof?
Spirituality has an inherent rationale and logic that may or may not fit into a science framework. Often it actually does as demonstrated many times. But that is irrelevant to those seeking and discussing spirituality, it is incidental to what they believe and seek.
Logic, history and probability are also tools.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Logic, history and probability are also tools.
So are shovels and rakes tools. Belief systems have their own tool kit, it is a different realm.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:01 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Afraid, this will follow same path, as the other thread...

Otherwise, religion is science of spirituality. Formal science, otherwise referred and forbidden here, is science of materialism. But, in its principle, they are both science.
sci·ence

/ˈsīəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: science
  1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
    "the world of science and technology"
    h
    Similar:
    branch of knowledge area of study discipline a particular area of science.
plural noun: sciences

• a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
Argue all you want to but, through thousands of years, spiritual leaders, gurus, priests, theologians, did science of "religion". Just with means and results different from science of say, technology. Psychology, for example, IS science yet, deals with subjects of no material value too.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:01 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Evidence is something that both people can see, it is obvious. If you look at the orthographic denotation of evidence, it is "to see."

Old 12-12-2020, 09:18 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A thread about the idea of God was closed due to the eruption of discussion [of] science which apparently is against the forum rules. It is a good rule, especially since there is a Science forum that already exists and THAT does not allows discussion of religion.
It's not "apparently", which means as far as one can see. It is right there in the rule thread in black and red.

I suggest the OP and all others read (or RE-read) it through it so there can be no claims of not understanding what the rule is or why it was made. As I said when I closed the other thread, we've had enough of threads turning into purely scientific discussion and the reports and bickering that it brings. We've tried to accommodate conversations about the place where the lines between spirituality and religion are blurred, but too many folks do not seem to be able to self-regulate their behavior.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/46686485-post3.html

If you can't manage to keep the discussion contained within the parameters of R&S, then it will be closed. Let's see what happens.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:21 AM

I am always perplexed as to why there is a demand for evidence on matters of faith to begin with.

Then I am further perplexed that instead of ignoring the obvious bait, some people of faith jump in and start providing information which is not evidence. It goes nowhere.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:23 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am always perplexed as to why there is a demand for evidence on matters of faith to begin with.

Then I am further perplexed that instead of ignoring the obvious bait, some people of faith jump in and start providing information which is not evidence. It goes nowhere.
The problem is that some people cannot differentiate faith from fact.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That is a real problem, but fully knowing that, one would think that non-believers would stop asking for evidence from those types. What's the point?

Anyway, to contribute to the thread--

One thing I've asked non-believers about for which I've never gotten an answer is, "Don't you ever use your natural intuition to find an answer or guidance as to what to do in a given situation?"

I don't see a lot of difference between asking one's intuition and asking for the same guidance in the form of prayer to a deity or the Universe or the whatever it is to which one prays for guidance. (I'm not talking about vending-machine prayer here, wherein one asks for a specific outcome.)

This is an area where I see spirituality and science coming together. Are our prayers/intuitive requests and the answers we receive through those practices the results of an unseen force or forces, or are they some as-yet-unexplained mechanism in our brains that picks up information in ways outside of our normal information-gathering methods?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-12-2020 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-12-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Exactly. So they, those "some people", keep asking for evidence and giving evidence as if all that matters.
What puzzles me is if you are not convinced about spirituality why does this forum even interest you?
If you are curious about it then why be confrontational instead of just listening?
If you must post why not to seek information rather than attack?
And if you are not convinced after all that, and your comfortable with your own belief, and belief it is, why not seek some other forum for diversion?
What exactly attracts non-believers of spirituality to come here and engage?

It is such a low hanging fruit to argue about faith. It is FAITH, belief, trust. There is not argument. How exactly does it affect anyone who simply is not interested?

What exactly are you arguing? Why do you feel entitled to answers? Go seek your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality