Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 06:11 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

The PBS show The Black Church with Henry Lois Gates.
Great show on its own merit with US history, Black People history, Black Church culture and history, and some amazing music.
Religion saved Black People who made Christianity their own from a mix of Islam and other spirituality they brought with them, Jesus, voodoo, Santeria. Prevented from reading the bible and from forming their own church, they somehow survived the vicious cruelty and cussedness visited upon them by the Southern white Christians. They found their own Jesus and made him their own. They survived with JOY in their heart. That IS god/Oneness/Atma.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:42 AM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Is it? Sounds like schism to me. And solid one, with voodoo salt to it. "own Jesus"? Sound like Preacher show, with multiple JC clones wondering streets.
How exactly "religion saved"? Made them invisible? Made owners gullible and soft?

Old 02-18-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Is it? Sounds like schism to me. And solid one, with voodoo salt to it. "own Jesus"? Sound like Preacher show, with multiple JC clones wondering streets.
How exactly "religion saved"? Made them invisible? Made owners gullible and soft?
Watch the show. Yes their own jesus, Black like themselves, which is probably what he was anyway, not white and blue eyed. If you are made on his own image, it cannot be white.
Adding this while I am busy trying to schedule a covid vax appointment with a crashed site.
Religion was the only thing that kept them going, keeping some hope alive. Others use drugs and alcohol.

Last edited by cb2008; 02-18-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-18-2021, 09:13 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The PBS show The Black Church with Henry Lois Gates.
Great show on its own merit with US history, Black People history, Black Church culture and history, and some amazing music.
Religion saved Black People who made Christianity their own from a mix of Islam and other spirituality they brought with them, Jesus, voodoo, Santeria. Prevented from reading the bible and from forming their own church, they somehow survived the vicious cruelty and cussedness visited upon them by the Southern white Christians. They found their own Jesus and made him their own. They survived with JOY in their heart. That IS god/Oneness/Atma.
And how many slaves who prayed for deliverance from slavery died in slavery?

Old 02-18-2021, 09:22 AM

332 posts, read 220,059 times
Quote:
Watch the show. Yes their own jesus, Black like themselves, which is probably what he was anyway, not white and blue eyed. If you are made on his own image, it cannot be white.
You form a conclusive opinion based upon a tv show?

Old 02-18-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
You form a conclusive opinion based upon a tv show?
It is a documentary based on historical data and interviews. And you form opinions and get information from what exactly? Do you know something that contradicts Gates' documentary?
And what kind of opinion do your form exactly from Not_watching?

Old 02-18-2021, 09:49 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
It is a documentary based on historical data and interviews. And you form opinions and get information from what exactly? Do you know something that contradicts Gates' documentary?
And what kind of opinion do your form exactly from Not_watching?
Your conclusion can only be based on believing in Christianity. I'm not an American so probably not as well informed of how slavery was however in reading and watching survivors of the Canadian Residential Schools being saved in the afterlife might happen if you believe but it destroyed their lives and the lives of the parents who had children ripped away from them and their own children who had difficulty connecting to their heritage and to their grandparents.

I ask you one question, if you had no belief in needing to be saved and that we are not all sinners that need Jesus to release us of our sins was slavery a blessing for the slaves?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Your conclusion can only be based on believing in Christianity. I'm not an American so probably not as well informed of how slavery was however in reading and watching survivors of the Canadian Residential Schools being saved in the afterlife might happen if you believe but it destroyed their lives and the lives of the parents who had children ripped away from them and their own children who had difficulty connecting to their heritage and to their grandparents.

I ask you one question, if you had no belief in needing to be saved and that we are not all sinners that need Jesus to release us of our sins was slavery a blessing for the slaves?
i am not a Christian and I don't believe in organized religions.

Slavery in the US is the reason why we have been visited by Covid. This I believe because I believe in karma. Everyone, even Canadians, should read and understand the history of slavery and how it was practiced with cruelty on Black people.

But that is not the point of the documentary, it is about how the human spirit was preserved through their practice of worship of a divinity through Jesus. At the same time was also resistance to the white slaver who felt they needed to be civilized by teaching them Christianity, and at the same time hide from them that the same bible declares slavery is wrong. It was about building a community out of a horrific life. It was about being empowered to SPEAK even if it was only to preach. It was about preserving their dignity even as they were stripped of their humanity. It was about women getting empowered. it was expressing their every emotion in the spirituals. It is a story of heroism.

Quote:
I am not sure I understand your question. Black people did not think they were sinners. They prayed to Jesus to release them from bondage, real one they suffered every day, not some spiritual one. They felt loved through Jesus, and through that they found the joy to sing beautiful songs to the rhythm of African beats.
This is how religion has such a powerful appeal to the oppressed, the desperate., those who have nothing left. If religion can save them, all power to them What I, and you, believe about religion is immaterial.
To imagine slavery was a blessing to anybody is the most cynical evil thing to think even as a hypothesis.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:51 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
i am not a Christian and I don't believe in organized religions.

Slavery in the US is the reason why we have been visited by Covid. This I believe because I believe in karma. Everyone, even Canadians, should read and understand the history of slavery and how it was practiced with cruelty on Black people.

But that is not the point of the documentary, it is about how the human spirit was preserved through their practice of worship of a divinity through Jesus. At the same time was also resistance to the white slaver who felt they needed to be civilized by teaching them Christianity, and at the same time hide from them that the same bible declares slavery is wrong. It was about building a community out of a horrific life. It was about being empowered to SPEAK even if it was only to preach. It was about preserving their dignity even as they were stripped of their humanity. It was about women getting empowered. it was expressing their every emotion in the spirituals. It is a story of heroism.

I am not sure I understand your question. Black people did not think they were sinners. They prayed to Jesus to release them from bondage, real one they suffered every day, not some spiritual one. They felt loved through Jesus, and through that they found the joy to sing beautiful songs to the rhythm of African beats.
This is how religion has such a powerful appeal to the oppressed, the desperate., those who have nothing left. If religion can save them, all power to them What I, and you, believe about religion is immaterial.
To imagine slavery was a blessing to anybody is the most cynical evil thing to think even as a hypothesis.
I think most people in the developed world know about how cruel the American slavery was.

You missed the point that they would not have even know about Jesus if it weren't for slavery. Jews surviving the Halocaust got through without Jesus and some became stronger in their religion and others gave it up. The Ghost Dance was a unifying force for Native Americans.

Yes sometimes religion can be used as a tool to help people. But are you not ignoring that the slaves used their Bible to justify slavery, then they late dismissed the religion of the Ghost Dance and slaughtered it's followers. And the Nazis used the killing of Jesus to massacre the Jews. Those were examples of people using religion as a weapon against others.

Everyone should accept religion when it is used as a tool for benefitting but at the same time everyone should stand against religion when it's used as a weapon to create harm.

Only focusing on its use as a tool provides acceptance when it is being used as a weapon. I don't think you see that.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
I don't know how we can have saving without a evil. I do know most cultures, including in Africa by each other, slavery was not uncommon by any stretch.

I do know that 21,000,000 believers went and stopped 7,000,000 slavers. If we say religion caused it then we can say three times the amount of religion stopped it. If religion caused then I ask what religion caused it in American Indian ranks? Or the African ranks? or all the other cultures that do it.

"slavery is the reason we have covid". That is the story of original sin and its wrong. There is no other way to say it. I am 1/2 dsorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality