Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 04:51 PM

15,976 posts, read 7,039,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Plenty of both religious and non-religious people celebrate both Easter and Christmas without religion.

I myself grew up in a Christian denomination which did not celebrate either Easter or Christmas as religious holidays. I don't know of any Christian denomination which considers the Easter Bunny, Santa, Frosty or Rudolph to be religious figures.

Prayer on the other hand, is a religious expression. Isn't that exactly what you said only a few posts ago?
You can argue this in many different ways and they can all be right. If you want to deny that prayer is visible, heard, said, and is present in the public space then you can. Many non-christians will disagree with your belief about Christmas trees Easter eggs, but so what. We are all free to believe whatever we like.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:59 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You can argue this in many different ways and they can all be right. If you want to deny that prayer is visible, heard, said, and is present in the public space then you can. Many non-christians will disagree with your belief about Christmas trees Easter eggs, but so what. We are all free to believe whatever we like.
I'm not at all denying that prayer happens in public spaces. I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion.

What is the religious significance of Christmas trees and Easter eggs, please?

Old 04-26-2021, 05:04 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And yet some people - who claim to be spiritual - apparently don't give a flying fart about others' feelings.
I think that's a very important point.

Before retiring, I had a Buddha statue on my desk in my principal's office (gasp), It was tiny, not much bigger than a large postage stamp, and the only way anyone could see it was if they walked behind my desk, which of course, they shouldn't be doing. It was just for me. I would go into my finance officer's office, and there for everyone to see was a cross. It's just unnecessary.

When I lived on Broad Street in Falls Church, Virginia, once or twice a year, the catholics would line the street on one weekend with protest signs. They had a right to be on the sidewalk in front of my house, about 10 feet from my front door, but it offended me. And some years, after they would leave after several hours, they would stick their protest sign in my flower bed. I wouldn't protest in front of their home.

What's ironic to me is that a christian (and I know we're not only talking about christians) would do something that intentionally offends someone else. It seems so anti-christian.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not at all denying that prayer happens in public spaces. I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion.

What is the religious significance of Christmas trees and Easter eggs, please?
Easy. The significance Christians attach to them as symbols.
ETA importantly neither will exist if not for Christmas and Easter.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Well, we are down to alternate through a bunch of prayers. Or none. Some Christians should ask themselves "How do I react if it is a Muslim prayer?" then cast your vote.

Me, I don't care. I do look at how people react to it. foaming at the mouth at the thought of prayer that doesn't line up with a personal belief is a red flag. It doesn;t mean its wrong, we just have to double check.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Easy. The significance Christians attach to them as symbols.
ETA importantly neither will exist if not for Christmas and Easter.
And that significance is...what?

Decorated trees for Yule or Winter Solstice predate Christmas. Decorated eggs to celebrate fertility predate Easter.

And if cultural traditions had evolved differently and we celebrated with different decorated items, so what? It would hardly matter.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
And that significance is...what?

Decorated trees for Yule or Winter Solstice predate Christmas. Decorated eggs to celebrate fertility predate Easter.

And if cultural traditions had evolved differently and we celebrated with different decorated items, so what? It would hardly matter.
The significance has meaning to those who celebrate the occasions of christmas and easter. If it was borrowed from other tradtions all the better. That is how syncretism works.
It does not have to matter to anyone else.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:24 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The public square is where we are free to express our religion subject to the secular constraints for safety and order. What safety or order violations are imposed by prayer?
None.

If something violates safety or order, observations would be involved. For example, no more than 300 people in this particular room.

Saying a prayer is a preference because it is something personal. Opposing prayer is also a preference. Either way, I wouldn't stop anyone from expressing themselves. But I also wouldn't like it if business wasn't taken care of because people couldn't put their personal preferences aside.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:25 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
The significance has meaning to those who celebrate the occasions of christmas and easter. If it was borrowed from other tradtions all the better. That is how syncretism works.
You're right. It does not have to matter to anyone else. But the problem is it is foisted on everyone else. cb speak with forked tongue.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I am asking specifically what the religious significance of a Christmas tree and an Easter egg are. I don't believe that they have any religious significance at all. I certainly don't know of any. And again, I celebrate the occasions of Christmas and Easter.

So, I am asking a third time. If you decline a direct answer for a third time, I will conclude that you don't know of any religious significance of either one, but are unwilling to say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality