Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 12:47 PM

1,757 posts, read 758,464 times

Advertisements

Sister and brother Sophie and Hans Scholl were Christian pacifists living in Nazi Germany. As WWII broke out, they started the "White Rose" a non-violent resistance movement inside of Nazi Germany.

They would write pamphlets talking of the evils of violence and the violent acts committed by Nazi Germany against Jews, Slavic people, and political dissenters. A janitor caught them leaving pamphlets around the university that they attended. They were arrested, put on trial for treason for merely writing pacifist editorials of facts, convicted while not allowing to defend themselves and then beheaded by guillotine at age 21 for Sophie and age 24 for Hans.

As a Christian pacifist personally, it makes me nauseous just thinking about what happened to those fellow pacifists for speaking out.

Their lessons live on. A poll of Germans put Sophie and Hans as the 4th most important Germans of all time, and they finished 1st among younger voters.

I think it is important that we as a society, especially various religious organizations, focus on their lessons of things like:

1) pacifism or non-violence

2) not restricting people's freewill and inalienable rights

3) opposing heinous punishments

Two quotes by Sophie Scholl:

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

"Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go... What does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

Even her Nazi executioners said that Sophie went bravely to her death, probably knowing that she was correct and through her love and faith in Jesus.

Quote by Hans Scholl:

"I knew what I took upon myself and I was prepared to lose my life by so doing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Scholl

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ason-1943.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 01:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Sad that their lives were so brutally cut short but the ripple effect of their deeds will be felt for generations.

Good on you for adding another wave.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Sister and brother Sophie and Hans Scholl were Christian pacifists living in Nazi Germany. As WWII broke out, they started the "White Rose" a non-violent resistance movement inside of Nazi Germany.

They would write pamphlets talking of the evils of violence and the violent acts committed by Nazi Germany against Jews, Slavic people, and political dissenters. A janitor caught them leaving pamphlets around the university that they attended. They were arrested, put on trial for treason for merely writing pacifist editorials of facts, convicted while not allowing to defend themselves and then beheaded by guillotine at age 21 for Sophie and age 24 for Hans.

As a Christian pacifist personally, it makes me nauseous just thinking about what happened to those fellow pacifists for speaking out.

Their lessons live on. A poll of Germans put Sophie and Hans as the 4th most important Germans of all time, and they finished 1st among younger voters.

I think it is important that we as a society, especially various religious organizations, focus on their lessons of things like:

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

"Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go... What does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

Even her Nazi executioners said that Sophie went bravely to her death, probably knowing that she was correct and through her love and faith in Jesus.

Quote by Hans Scholl:

"I knew what I took upon myself and I was prepared to lose my life by so doing."

QuakerBaker, I like to think that there's a special place in God's heart for people who displayed courage based on the conviction of loving God and their fellow man to the extent of surrendering their lives.

"Unlike Jews and others targeted by the Nazis, the Witnesses were prisoners of conscience. They could have bought freedom by signing a declaration card that renounced their faith and pledged allegiance to Hitler. Few took the offer. Most stayed, and many died.

Why Hitler bothered to single out such a minor group - and the tenacity with which the Witnesses resisted him - is what makes their story significant, says Michael Berenbaum, director of the Research Institute at the US Holocaust Museum in Washington. "The Jehovah's Witnesses were literally the only martyrs of the Holocaust," Mr. Berenbaum says.

"The Jews were victims because their experience was not a matter of choice. But the Witnesses did have a choice. They are people to be respected for not giving in."-https://www.csmonitor.com/1996/1106/110696.feat.feat.1.html

I think there is a place in God's Kingdom for all such ones by means of the resurrection, JWs and non JWs. Peace

Old 06-07-2021, 08:19 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,976,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
QuakerBaker, I like to think that there's a special place in God's heart for people who displayed courage based on the conviction of loving God and their fellow man to the extent of surrendering their lives.
"Unlike Jews and others targeted by the Nazis, the Witnesses were prisoners of conscience. They could have bought freedom by signing a declaration card that renounced their faith and pledged allegiance to Hitler. Few took the offer. Most stayed, and many died.
Why Hitler bothered to single out such a minor group - and the tenacity with which the Witnesses resisted him - is what makes their story significant, says Michael Berenbaum, director of the Research Institute at the US Holocaust Museum in Washington. "The Jehovah's Witnesses were literally the only martyrs of the Holocaust," Mr. Berenbaum says.
"The Jews were victims because their experience was not a matter of choice. But the Witnesses did have a choice. They are people to be respected for not giving in."-https://www.csmonitor.com/1996/1106/110696.feat.feat.1.html
I think there is a place in God's Kingdom for all such ones by means of the resurrection, JWs and non JWs. Peace
... and I find that God's Kingdom (Daniel 2:44) is a real theocratic government with Jesus as King of God's Kingdom for a thousand years (1st Corinthians 15:24-26) and then there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous - Acts 24:15 with the opportunity for the majority to gain everlasting life on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,597,400 times
The nazi party killed/imprisoned anybody that disagreed.

Saying other Germans just accepted the political climate is short sighted and wrong to me. They were in survival mode.

"smell that?, if you say a word, you will live long enough to understand that smell is your mother, father, wife, and children."

Old 06-08-2021, 04:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,597,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Quote by Hans Scholl:

I know, I know how I sound.

how do we tell when "violence" to "hold down a bully" from hurting the next victims should just be tagged "violence" and not be deployed.

However, I also agree with trout ... thank you are sending this ripple back out and through the known part of the universe that is thinking about itself. Maybe it help "it" grow.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:13 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,976,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
.............how do we tell when "violence" to "hold down a bully" from hurting the next victims should just be tagged "violence" and not be deployed..................
To me, using self defence to ' hold down a bully ' would Not be violence.
Thankfully, help is on the way from the rider (JC) on the white horse of Rev. 19:11-15.
Also, Ezekiel's 'chariot' is on the move - Ezekiel 1:16-21.
Now the question remains, Who leads first _______
Is it the ' chariot ' or the rider on the white horse _______
Or, are they side by side ___________
- Just a thought

Old 06-13-2021, 09:41 AM

23,181 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The nazi party killed/imprisoned anybody that disagreed.

Saying other Germans just accepted the political climate is short sighted and wrong to me. They were in survival mode.

"smell that?, if you say a word, you will live long enough to understand that smell is your mother, father, wife, and children."
Smell is my mother?

What do you mean?

Old 06-13-2021, 09:53 AM

23,181 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Literally the only martyrs?

Loll, what?

There really is a place for those people, its called the outer court of Gentiles, I mean they sound like good people, but they have as much blood on their hands as the next Christian.

How do you think anti Semitism evolved in such a way for Hitler to have gotten as far as he did?

He got there from racist anti Semites like Constantine and Martin Luther in their replacement theories against Jews just like JW"s who falsely claim to be Israel.

30,000 sects of Chriatianity all of which teach replacement theories that have put Jews in danger for 2000 years. Hitler even used the words of Martin Luther to get the Germans behind his cruelty.

So while you had a couple good people willing to give their lives, it was their replacement theories that led the world into genocide against Gods people.

We dont have to wonder who Judah and Israel are, the world is now calling for their destruction again, they arent calling for the destruction of all JW's, they are calling for the genocide of Judah and Israel.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Literally the only martyrs?

Loll, what?

There really is a place for those people, its called the outer court of Gentiles, I mean they sound like good people, but they have as much blood on their hands as the next Christian.

How do you think anti Semitism evolved in such a way for Hitler to have gotten as far as he did?

He got there from racist anti Semites like Constantine and Martin Luther in their replacement theories against Jews just like JW"s who falsely claim to be Israel.

30,000 sects of Chriatianity all of which teach replacement theories that have put Jews in danger for 2000 years. Hitler even used the words of Martin Luther to get the Germans behind his cruelty.

So while you had a couple good people willing to give their lives, it was their replacement theories that led the world into genocide against Gods people.

We dont have to wonder who Judah and Israel are, the world is now calling for their destruction again, they arent calling for the destruction of all JW's, they are calling for the genocide of Judah and Israel.
Hanni, Christ was a Jew as were the apostles and the earliest Christians.

IMO a Christian is one who follows Christ. Jesus said love your neighbor as the second most important commandment and then gave the illustration of the Good Samaritan knowing full well that the Samaritans and Jews hated each other. Your neighbor may very well be the one that you dislike. That fell on deaf ears for plenty of folks who came afterwards and yet called themselves Christian. Don't confuse the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality