Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times

Advertisements

Thou shalt not kill.
Pretty cut and dried.
Brings up the old question....what if you had a war and nobody came?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 04:00 AM

709 posts, read 1,498,669 times
Religion is a wildcard, it can be used to justify anything.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:17 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Thou shalt not kill.
Pretty cut and dried.
Brings up the old question....what if you had a war and nobody came?
Good question!!!

The problem is it would appear that the majority who claim belief in Christianity DO NOT believe in this very fundamental teaching. It does'nt take a rocket scientist to understand the logic of what you just concluded with.

"Brings up the old question . . . what if you had a war and nobody came?"

I've been flamed by many a person who've identified themselves as Christian and took odds at my stance of neutrality and refusal to involve myself in any armed conflicts , who said to me, "That's insane, What if everyone in the world believed the way you do?"

And I'm thinking, "Do I really need to answer that question?"

Jesus Christ Matthew 26:52 - "New International Version"
Quote:
"Put your sword back in it's place", Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

"The Message Bible"
Jesus said, "Put your sword back where it belongs. All who use swords die by swords."

"Bluepacific Version" (kidding )
"Put down that AK-47 Assault Rifle", Jesus said, "Don't you know that all who take up an AK-47 Assault Rifle will also die by an AK-47 Assault Rifle?"
Jesus response to Pontius Pilate who inquired about his politics as King and his government or Kingdom.

John 18:36 - "The Message Bible"
Quote:
"My Kingdom", said Jesus, does'nt consist of what you see around you. If it did, my followers would fight so that I would'nt be handed over to the Jews. But I'm not that kind of king, the world's kind of king."
Somewhere along the way, just as the apostles foretold, the majority of Christianity apostacized into a corrupt way of living from what Jesus orignially taught.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Good question!!!

The problem is it would appear that the majority who claim belief in Christianity DO NOT believe in this very fundamental teaching. It does'nt take a rocket scientist to understand the logic of what you just concluded with.

"Brings up the old question . . . what if you had a war and nobody came?"

I've been flamed by many a person who've identified themselves as Christian and took odds at my stance of neutrality and refusal to involve myself in any armed conflicts , who said to me, "That's insane, What if everyone in the world believed the way you do?"

And I'm thinking, "Do I really need to answer that question?"

Jesus Christ Matthew 26:52 - "New International Version" Jesus response to Pontius Pilate who inquired about his politics as King and his government or Kingdom.

John 18:36 - "The Message Bible"Somewhere along the way, just as the apostles foretold, the majority of Christianity apostacized into a corrupt way of living from what Jesus orignially taught.
is that mean that
1- right christians should to give up (Put down that AK-47 Assault Rifle) if someone (terrorist for example ) attacked them in their land ?

2-sinfull christians will be the brave ones whom insist to fight against the enemy ?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
is that mean that
1- right christians should to give up (Put down that AK-47 Assault Rifle) if someone (terrorist for example ) attacked them in their land ?

2-sinfull christians will be the brave ones whom insist to fight against the enemy ?
It's not important what I say or do, what did Jesus teach ???

What do you think Jesus taught on the subject of war ??? I've already quoted what he said, but do you find some different quotes on Jesus justifying any type of war ???

The same could be said of Moslems. If you take ALL religions and atheists out of the the world, except ONLY Moslems, would the world be a safer and better place ??? Again, you have to look at history and the present situation with the Islamic world. They don't agree with each other on anything and will kill each other because of following various different religious leaders who want absolute power over everyone else. When does it all come to a stop ???

I believe that is the real question. But maybe another question is , "When will God make an accounting from ALL religious leaders from all religion , not just one ???"

Old 12-24-2008, 06:04 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
I am pretty sure it says Thou shall not commit murder. Totally different. There has to be some room in there for self defense or defense of the innocent. I someone was brutally raping my daughter I'd have to defend her even if it resulted in the assailants death. If someone was climbing through my window in the night I'd have to take my gun and defend my home. That's not murder.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I am pretty sure it says Thou shall not commit murder. Totally different.
Absolutely right. But you know how it is: people like their own personal versions of Scripture.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Do you believe that it's ok to have an armed police force?

Is it never ok to resist evil with force?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Absolutely right. But you know how it is: people like their own personal versions of Scripture.
Not exactly my personal version.
As with much of the bible, there is always controversy about translations throughout history and it depends on what version of the bible is read.

Some discussion from Ten Commandments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Killing or murder

Multiple translations exist of the sixth commandment; the Hebrew words לא תרצח are variously translated as "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not murder." Older Protestant translations of the Bible, those based on the Vulgate and Roman Catholic translations usually render it as "Thou shalt not kill," whereas Jewish and newer Protestant versions tend to use "You shall not murder." There is controversy as to which translation is more faithful, and both forms are quoted in support of many opposing ethical standpoints.
The Vulgate (Latin) translation has Non occides, i.e. "Thou shalt not kill." English translations using "kill" include the King James (Authorised) (1611) [although note Matthew 19:18 "do no murder," following the Vulgate non homicidium facies], the American Standard (1901) and Revised Standard (American Protestant, 1952) Versions. Almost all Roman Catholic translations, including the Douay-Rheims Bible (1609/1752), the New American Bible (1970), the New Jerusalem Bible (1985) and the Christian Community Bible (1986), have "kill." Martin Luther (German, 1534) also uses töten (kill).
Protestant translations using "murder" include the New International Version (American, 1978), New American Standard Bible (American, 1971), New English Bible (British Protestant, 1970), and the New King James (American, 1982), New Revised Standard (American, 1989) and English Standard (American Protestant, 2001) Versions. Jewish translations almost all use "murder," including the Jewish Publication Society of America Version (1917), the Judaica Press tanach (1963) and the Living Torah (1981). A Jewish exception to this pattern is the Artscroll or Stone Edition tanach (1996).
The Old Testament's examples of killings sanctioned by God are often cited in defense of the view that "murder" is a more accurate translation. Additionally, the Hebrew word for "kill" is הרג (harog), while the Hebrew word for "murder" is רצח (retzach), which is found in the Ten Commandments לא תרצח (lo tirtzach). In the fullness of the Old Testament Exodus 20:13 is abundantly evidenced as prohibiting unjust killing, rather than a universal injunction against all killing, as retzach is never used in reference to the slaying of animals, nor the taking of life in war, while its most frequent use is in reference to involuntary manslaughter and secondarily for murderers.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I am pretty sure it says Thou shall not commit murder. Totally different. There has to be some room in there for self defense or defense of the innocent. I someone was brutally raping my daughter I'd have to defend her even if it resulted in the assailants death. If someone was climbing through my window in the night I'd have to take my gun and defend my home. That's not murder.
So would I. I would give my life for my child. However, we're not talking about self-defense here. Most of this has to do with religion almost always supporting the side of those who start conflicts in the first place. Nobody seems to be able to look beyond their own little country church. It's always the other guy's fault, your guy started it, not my guy. There is a bloody history of people of the same religious organization butchering the other and it does'nt seem to matter what type of religion, faith, or denomination.

If we just take the history of Christianity and I've pointed this out over and over again and again. One outstanding bit of criminal Nationist conduct carried on by both Evangelicals and Catholic religions before World War II, was absolute without question support of the German Nazi and Italian Facists states. Why ???

During the war, many churches not only taught "Mein Kampf" (Hitler's imfamous book - "My Struggle") from their pulpits , but also a hideous warped book of Aryan pseudohistory called "The Myth of the Twentieth History" by Nazi philosopher and propagandist Alfred Rosenberg. Why ???

The defense is when you bring this factual historical garbage to the surface is that, "it was those guys , not us , not our guys." In using that as an excuse, they fail to realize that Jesus recorded prayer of all his followers being in union and as one , had to do with faith, belief and principled love of fellow Christian without regard to race, nationality, tribe, language, etc. The world was always going to do as it pleased, but Christianity was to stand out in stark contrast, but sadly history says otherwise for the majority.

That's why the history of the nation of Israel in what everyone calls the "Old testament" (as if to say it's outdated somehow) is so invaluable to us. It shows us that ONLY a small minority at any one time were the ONLY faithful ones to God's word.

Danimae , we're not talking about a mugging in an alleyway. This goes much bigger and deeper than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality