Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times

Advertisements

Seriously. I used to sit in a location at work not far from the desk of a Methodist minister's son. He liked to talk about Christianity. He seemed to hold it in a different light and make an off-handed comment about Catholics not being Christian.

I kept it to myself but thought it was so stupid that I couldn't get mad.

To me, any religion whose scriptural works are ONLY and BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, with the emphasis that your faith is put in practice largely through the New Testament, is a Christian religion. Period.

I'm not a religious expert, but I don't know what to make of religions that profess to be Christian but have OTHER books. I just don't know.

So, are Catholics Christians in your mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 01:02 AM

140 posts, read 290,489 times
Default Catholis cannibals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seriously. I used to sit in a location at work not far from the desk of a Methodist minister's son. He liked to talk about Christianity. He seemed to hold it in a different light and make an off-handed comment about Catholics not being Christian.

To me, any religion whose scriptural works are ONLY and BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, with the emphasis that your faith is put in practice largely through the New Testament, is a Christian religion. Period.

I'm not a religious expert, but I don't know what to make of religions that profess to be Christian but have OTHER books. I just don't know.

I always thought eater of flesh, drinker of blood?
'''''''''''perhaps receptaple of the spirit? Made manifest? tricky!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
I believe catholics were christians before the other sects.

If it weren't for Martin Luther, the rest of the christians would probably be catholics, too.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:16 AM

Default the oldest promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Yes Catholics are our connection to Peter, Paul and Christ.
They promised, you see?
To carry the spirit of the one forward.
Politics has made of history something nasty.

But the Christ and the promise of us---every Pope and hermit, monk and holy man.

Civilization can be a two edged sword, spirit and reason!

Last edited by bigstu; 01-26-2008 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: why not

Old 01-26-2008, 02:22 AM

Default seekers of the truth

i guess we all seek the truth of that ...........infinite finite man

Old 01-26-2008, 02:42 AM

245 posts, read 625,289 times
this is almost an argument in symantics, wouldn't anyone who believes in the "christ" be christian? personaly I was a bit surprised when the encyclopedia didn't define christianity as a sub sect of the nations of islam

Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
No, not anyone who believes in Christ - a follower of Christ.

Do I believe that there probably may have been a guy named Jesus (who everyone else now calls Christ) who probably wandered around shaking up the Jewish world 2000+ years ago. Sure, seems like its vaguely probable.

Do I read the book and subscribe to the newsletter? No. Thus, I am not a Christian.

Similar for Islam, they acknowledge Jesus, even accept he could be a Christos, but not THE prophet - because that of course was Mohhammed. They follow his teachings, thus ISLAM.

Catholics, who do believe in Christ were the original Christians, however Catholic (= universal) was all that was needed to describe them until the Martin Luther Heresy. Once Martin Luther splintered off (and the splintering kept going) there became Christians + Catholics. Catholics usually being held out as being different.

But in my non-Christian world - Catholics are part of the Christian world view / ideology

then again, I'm not a methodist minister!!

Old 01-26-2008, 07:13 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
Catholics were Christians long before the formation and branching out of all the other Christian churches. It's obvious that Christ is at the center of the Catholic faith so by definition of course it's a Christian religion.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
It sounds as if the Methodist ministers son is an idiot.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
You know, that is strange. When I visited a methodist church one time with my children, my sons best friends father is the minister there....

I felt the whole atmosphere ther eto be very close to that of a Catholic church, and way.

I did not have a problem with it, nor Catholic.. things.

Now, in Sunday school at the church where I was baptised, it seemed to be a firm belief there that Catholic people were just not 'as good' as So. Baptist people, which is what I am. Well, not as good as the people, but the religion.

I never could understand it. I know there is a different belief system...

i know this, but does it make them any less Christian? I don't think so.

But you know what? I did think that for the longest time. Due to that Sunday school class and its teachings.

Now, I went through a tough time last year, and was drinving down the road talking to my brother. My brother married a Catholic girl, and his children are being raised Catholic.

My family was raised in no religion at all. My brother hating the Lord for taking my mother from us in 2000.

I talked to him about what had happened in my life, and he talked to me, about him, in his.

He had been Baptised.

the things that had happened two days before that day that we talked, left my mind, the tears of hurt and pain turned to tears of such wonderful joy. I had to stop somewhere. I sat in a parking lot talking to him for more than an hour. he had accepted the Lord... He was on his walk.. finally!

Catholic or no... my brother... he took a leap of faith, finally.

I know a lot of Roman Catholic people.. al wonderful people in my book.

Is one better than another.. heck no! We are all HIS children..

Whats that song? Yellow black and white.. all precious in His sight..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality