Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2021, 11:34 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Not even a decades-long global increase in life-expectancy? and hundreds of other metrics?

What would cause you to say such a silly thing?

However if you do believe that is true, you have only the mastermind, head-daddy-rabbit (aka "god") to blame. When one creates the whole Universe, soup-to-nuts, you're on the hook for everything that happens. No cop-outs allowed. Not even one euphemistically named "Free Will".
The "Biblegod is responsible for everything because he created it" argument (basically a "Problem of Evil/Suffering/Flaws argument) is very old...was not logical before, isn't now, and will never be.
Even in the secular world...it doesn't typically hold.
For Example: We do nor hold Fast Food companies responsible for people getting obese and having derivative health problems. We do not hold auto manufacturers responsible for people driving crazy and crashing. And a jillion other examples anyone could think of.
Also...I have explained it to you before. If you are gonna use a literal interpretation and account of the Bible to assess Gods' actions and thoughts...you are gonna lose. Since a literal account provides, as given, a Omnimax powered God that can do anything and knows everything, has "thoughts and ways above ours", and has inforned us that suffering/pain is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 12:14 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "Biblegod is responsible for everything because he created it" argument (basically a "Problem of Evil/Suffering/Flaws argument) is very old...was not logical before, isn't now, and will never be.
Even in the secular world...it doesn't typically hold.
For Example: We do nor hold Fast Food companies responsible for people getting obese and having derivative health problems. We do not hold auto manufacturers responsible for people driving crazy and crashing. And a jillion other examples anyone could think of.
Also...I have explained it to you before. If you are gonna use a literal interpretation and account of the Bible to assess Gods' actions and thoughts...you are gonna lose. Since a literal account provides, as given, a Omnimax powered God that can do anything and knows everything, has "thoughts and ways above ours", and has inforned us that suffering/pain is a good thing.
Actually, it is perfectly true today.

The flaw, and it is HUGE, in your "logic" is attempting to apply a "macro" to a "micro".

Fast food companies didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts.
Automobile companies didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts
A jillion other examples anyone could think of didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts
Neither mankind, nor any component or organization thereof, didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts.

Ergo, that entire line of "reasoning" falls flat on its face. Sorry to break the news to you, but there it is in black and white.

On a personal note:

When you use terms like "I have explained it to you before" you demonstrate a level of high-handed condescension not acceptable in such dialogue. That, truth be told, is why you get name called, because you DESERVE it by such high-handed commentary.

Back to the subject:

A literal interpretation of the bible, in the main, is the ONLY way to take it, as otherwise it is meaningless. It's like saying that a AAA Road Map for the state of Florida is not to be taken literally. It serves no other purpose than to be taken literally, and loses all value otherwise.

You have and use a few "themes" in your debate that are utterly flawed and you do yourself a great dis-service by using them. Please keep using them, for it makes my job so much easier.

If you look down right now, you will see yourself passing over the outfield on the way to the bleachers as you have been hit out of the park, yet again.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, it is perfectly true today.

The flaw, and it is HUGE, in your "logic" is attempting to apply a "macro" to a "micro".

Fast food companies didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts.
Automobile companies didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts
A jillion other examples anyone could think of didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts
Neither mankind, nor any component or organization thereof, didn't invent the Universe, soup-to-nuts.

Ergo, that entire line of "reasoning" falls flat on its face. Sorry to break the news to you, but there it is in black and white.

On a personal note:

When you use terms like "I have explained it to you before" you demonstrate a level of high-handed condescension not acceptable in such dialogue. That, truth be told, is why you get name called, because you DESERVE it by such high-handed commentary.

Back to the subject:

A literal interpretation of the bible, in the main, is the ONLY way to take it, as otherwise it is meaningless. It's like saying that a AAA Road Map for the state of Florida is not to be taken literally. It serves no other purpose than to be taken literally, and loses all value otherwise.

You have and use a few "themes" in your debate that are utterly flawed and you do yourself a great dis-service by using them. Please keep using them, for it makes my job so much easier.

If you look down right now, you will see yourself passing over the outfield on the way to the bleachers as you have been hit out of the park, yet again.
Well, the best part of this post, is the guy that calls people "moronic", "delusional believers in fairy-tales", refers to them by disgusting sexual fetishes (GldnShwr), a fool (pyrite), feces, both pieces & bovine (POS & BS), and I could list dozens more things...gets all tweaked out and finds it "high-handed condescension" if someone says, "I explained this before" or "I educated you about that before", to him!
You have it backwards. Your name-calling and nasty, vulgar invectives & vituperations come first...what I say about it is in response.
You really are a trip Salty! Thanx...you're the BEST to come to this board in years.

My analogy was legit...you can't hold a maker responsible for how you use the things they made...whether they made some things or everything.
If you are gonna stick with your contention that, "A literal interpretation of the bible, in the main, is the ONLY way to take it, as otherwise it is meaningless"...then you have no argument against "head-daddy-rabbit (aka "god")". Because, then you must necessarily accept that God is Omnimax powered and can do anything and knows everything. Also, "His thoughts and ways are above ours", and, "long-suffering" is a good thing.
So...how you reconcile that you are not Omnimax Powered, but God is...You cannot do anything whatsoever, but God can...You do not know everything, but God does...your "thoughts & ways" are beneath Gods, and suffering & pain is a "fruit of the Spirit"?
Because a literal interpretation must include all that as a given, before you start any critique or assessment. So, you can never even make it into the game to try to contest.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Well, the best part of this post, is the guy that calls people "moronic", "delusional believers in fairy-tales", refers to them by disgusting sexual fetishes (GldnShwr), a fool (pyrite), feces, both pieces & bovine (POS & BS), and I could list dozens more things...gets all tweaked out and finds it "high-handed condescension" if someone says, "I explained this before" or "I educated you about that before", to him!
You have it backwards. Your name-calling and nasty, vulgar invectives & vituperations come first...what I say about it is in response.
You really are a trip Salty! Thanx...you're the BEST to come to this board in years.

My analogy was legit...you can't hold a maker responsible for how you use the things they made...whether they made some things or everything.
If you are gonna stick with your contention that, "A literal interpretation of the bible, in the main, is the ONLY way to take it, as otherwise it is meaningless"...then you have no argument against "head-daddy-rabbit (aka "god")". Because, then you must necessarily accept that God is Omnimax powered and can do anything and knows everything. Also, "His thoughts and ways are above ours", and, "long-suffering" is a good thing.
So...how you reconcile that you are not Omnimax Powered, but God is...You cannot do anything whatsoever, but God can...You do not know everything, but God does...your "thoughts & ways" are beneath Gods, and suffering & pain is a "fruit of the Spirit"?
Because a literal interpretation must include all that as a given, before you start any critique or assessment. So, you can never even make it into the game to try to contest.
I see you are bound and determined to keep up your highly-offensive high-handedness.

Ciao.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I see you are bound and determined to keep up your highly-offensive high-handedness.
Ciao.
No logical rebuttal, so you make up some excuse to run away, huh?
Look...if I can accept (actually even feel I hit the R&S Forum entertainment jackpot) you calling me "GldnShwr"
( https://www.city-data.com/forum/60689348-post890.html )...you can handle, "I explained this before".
Or...maybe you can't, and your emotional headtrips overcome you.
Gee, Salty...I really hate to see you like this.
But, please stick around in general ..because some of the particularly enlightened Believers (especially the fundamentalists) could help educate you on how to submit to God's will.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
No logical rebuttal, so you make up some excuse to run away, huh?
Look...if I can accept (actually even feel I hit the R&S Forum entertainment jackpot) you calling me "GldnShwr"
( https://www.city-data.com/forum/60689348-post890.html )...you can handle, "I explained this before".
Or...maybe you can't, and your emotional headtrips overcome you.
Gee, Salty...I really hate to see you like this.
But, please stick around in general ..because some of the particularly enlightened Believers (especially the fundamentalists) could help educate you on how to submit to God's will.
I guess you don't know the meaning of Ciao. It means adios.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I guess you don't know the meaning of Ciao. It means adios.
I'm Italian & Sicilian just a generation back, both sides...I know.
You've said that before. But, just like now...you still responded.
I wish I could think of sumthin to pep ya up some Salty...Ya know, if you submitted to God's will, that just might do it.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:10 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Not even a decades-long global increase in life-expectancy? and hundreds of other metrics?

What would cause you to say such a silly thing?

However if you do believe that is true, you have only the mastermind, head-daddy-rabbit (aka "god") to blame. When one creates the whole Universe, soup-to-nuts, you're on the hook for everything that happens. No cop-outs allowed. Not even one euphemistically named "Free Will".

Gods kingdom is a cure all.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I disagree.

The system is evolving to as more complex presentation of the universe we know. Think of what a fetus must endure while its is developing into a mature adult. The "extinction" of each stage of life so the the next stage can come into being.

And no Jesus Chrispy creams, the time spent in the birth cannal ... what a painful transition for everything involved. Then think of it lasting 1,000,000 years. ouch.

You lost me somewhere.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Where, exactly is this Eden?

No mortal knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality