Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 11:11 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Coincidentally, I've just finished reading a book about the ancient history of Central and South America...

"Like other Mesamerican peoples, such as the Zapotec, Totonac, Teotihuacán and Aztec, the Maya derived a number of religious and cultural traits–as well as their number system and their famous calendar–from the Olmec."

https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-americas/maya

We probably all know about the many thousands of human sacrifices these people believed were necessary to appease the gods, but did you know many of the sacrifices believed they were fortunate to be chosen for sacrifice? Some even asked to be sacrificed, because they believed as Salty describes. Essentially the belief they were going to a "better place."

All to say let's not be too hasty or high-horsed to suggest others lack a depth of understanding. Especially when it comes to all of human history rather than just our own little world today. Of course ancient history is not present day, but the story of Jim Jones is not all that ancient. Now is it?
And hence the term, Drinking the Kool-Aid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 11:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Poh "sacrificed" millions. They didn't get a choice.

Yeah, I would say we are stratified in our understanding. Some look at only half, others look at the whole. Some look at what they think is the "whole story", but can't even process that they are not seeing it. They think what they see is all there is to see.

The question is who is on the higher horse? Who is actually claiming the "real understanding." And what process can we deploy to find out?

"sacrificed for a better life". False hope brings real strength. I wish we had a better tool myself, but we don't.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:39 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

Yeah, I would say we are stratified in our understanding. Some look at only half, others look at the whole. Some look at what they think is the "whole story", but can't even process that they are not seeing it. They think what they see is all there is to see.

The question is who is on the higher horse? Who is actually claiming the "real understanding." And what process can we deploy to find out?

"sacrificed for a better life". False hope brings real strength. I wish we had a better tool myself, but we don't.
By Poh, did you mean Pol or Pot as in Pol Pot?

Old 07-09-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
By Poh, did you mean Pol or Pot as in Pol Pot?
yeah, thank you.

Since I am atheist I have remove the word god and see what I left with. I just make no evaluations based on the idea of a deity that I don't think exist.

So whats left? People saying stuff. Submit to a statement of belief about god. Weather all yes or all no, I don't think submitting is the best we can do.

I rather like thinking through an issue instead of submitting. But I must admit, it gets me in some trouble.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:55 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:

You ask many questions that we all answer on an ongoing basis. For ourselves, and clearly we all answer differently for all variety of reasons. We've got no better tool than our brains here, so again I'd say maybe prudent not to hope or expect more or better in a forum like this one. Ain't going to happen...

Old 07-10-2021, 10:08 AM

no it aint. Not until we look at actual beliefs, including "Lack belief based on not knowing".

Not until people are willing to man up and say something more than "I don't believe that", is it going to happen. Or argue with people until they are blue in face based on "I don't know so why should we go there."

Old 07-10-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
no it aint. Not until we look at actual beliefs, including "Lack belief based on not knowing".

Not until people are willing to man up and say something more than "I don't believe that", is it going to happen. Or argue with people until they are blue in face based on "I don't know so why should we go there."
Amen! Show us the way...

Make me a believer, and/or I patiently remain ready to embrace your ability to get everyone to "man up" and do what you say.

Signing off now, but I look forward to whatever progress you might be able to make until my return. Best of luck to you mate! Hope you don't mind if I don't hold my breath while waiting...

Old 07-10-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Amen! Show us the way...

Make me a believer, and/or I patiently remain ready to embrace your ability to get everyone to "man up" and do what you say.

Signing off now, but I look forward to whatever progress you might be able to make until my return. Best of luck to you mate! Hope you don't mind if I don't hold my breath while waiting...
Lets wake up and recite your creed for 10 days in a row, then try again ... That might do the trick ...

Get us all on the same page.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Lets wake up and recite your creed for 10 days in a row, then try again ... That might do the trick ...

Get us all on the same page.
My opinion...

It isn't repetition that does the trick. No matter how many times. It's arriving at an understanding, even just one time. Even from just the first read. How about you try that again?

I have no expectations we're all going to end up on the same page. That's your deal.

Cheers

Old 07-10-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
My opinion...

It isn't repetition that does the trick. No matter how many times. It's arriving at an understanding, even just one time. Even from just the first read. How about you try that again?

I have no expectations we're all going to end up on the same page. That's your deal.

Cheers
Do we get hats and shirts when we form up to recite it?

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality