Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 09:42 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
No, submitting to God's will is NOT the same as accepting what is! The concept of "what is" is confusing. We can recognize God's will because it is mysterious and divine and miraculous, often in ironic and surprising ways.

The key thing to remember is that God is SMARTER than you!
Question: Do you really, in your mind and intellect, actually believe any of the above? The reason I ask is because it just isn't so. IMHO most "believers" play at or pretend to believe, but, in this day and age, don't truly believe much if any of it.

If they did, they wouldn't fight death so hard. They would quickly resign to, if not welcome it while singing "I'm off to see my maker, the wonderful maker of me" sung to the Wizard of Oz melody.

And when a fellow-believer dies "before his time" they wouldn't call it sad or a tragedy. They'd be jealous.

Last edited by Salty Water; 07-09-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If this forum were about world history or ruthless rulers, abuse of power, imperialism and any of those kinds of topics, then no doubt we'd be "bashing" all that wrong-doing just the same, but this happens to be a forum about "Religion and Spirituality" and this thread about submitting to God's will...

So, it's about religion here and not all other wrong-doing anyone might decide to bash. I mean right?!?

That sort of argumentative tactic is commonly referred to as "what aboutism." About that too, "two wrongs don't make a right!"
Except that many here claim: "Religion" is the worst thing, biggest insult, and the top threat, in human history.
So...comparisons are prompted by that...and reasonably proffered.
There is a thing in this world (legal in most places) that some make a "choice" to do, that I think is the most evil and barbaric thing ever...and has killed more human individuals than all wars and/or theology based killings combined. But I am not on forums for that going off on those people...because they subjectively "believe" it is a okay thing.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Except that many here claim: "Religion" is the worst thing, biggest insult, and the top threat, in human history.
There is a thing in this world (legal in most places) that some make a "choice" to do, that I think is the most evil and barbaric thing ever...and has killed more human individuals than all wars and/or theology based killings combined. But I am not on forums for that going off on those people...because they subjectively "believe" it is a okay thing.
It is one my opinions that humanity will come to and end when the radical factions of a particular religion, who pray to the city of their first carnage, gets nuclear weapons. Then it will be shouts of A.A. (not Arach) as the mushroom clouds vaporize hundreds of millions. Those that survive will be back in the age of Fred and Barney back in Bedrock. Dangerous enough for you, old chum?

Old 07-09-2021, 10:29 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
The rhetoric and all the many "styles" people exhibit in this forum is not all that important compared to the truth of these matters. Is it? The truth and the rationale that justifies one's beliefs about the truth and/or about the falsehoods. Right?

Sure seems to me you focus on what you do, because it isn't really the truth or the facts of these matters that you can address a bit more intelligently. You prefer the drama.

We're all in this forum for whatever our reason(s). You too. Seems your primary reason is to relieve a bad case of heartburn about people who are not so positively opinionated about religion. Okay, but we get that already!

Please have mercy...

Old 07-09-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The rhetoric and all the many "styles" people exhibit in this forum is not all that important compared to the truth of these matters. Is it? The truth and the rationale that justifies one's beliefs about the truth and/or about the falsehoods. Right?

Sure seems to me you focus on what you do, because it isn't really the truth or the facts of these matters that you can address a bit more intelligently. You prefer the drama.

We're all in this forum for whatever our reason(s). You too. Seems your primary reason is to relieve a bad case of heartburn about people who are not so positively opinionated about religion. Okay, but we get that already!

Please have mercy...
Seconded!

Old 07-09-2021, 10:38 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Then attack them instead of pretending we all think this. But where is the fun in THAT?

Quote:
Yes, men wearing pants would be irrelevant.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:51 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Question: Do you really, in your mind and intellect, actually believe any of the above? The reason I ask is because it just isn't so. IMHO most "believers" play at or pretend to believe, but, in this day and age, don't truly believe much if any of it.

If they did, they wouldn't fight death so hard. They would quickly resign to, if not welcome it while singing "I'm off to see my maker, the wonderful maker of me" sung to the Wizard of Oz melody.

And when a fellow-believer dies "before his time" they wouldn't call it sad or a tragedy. They'd be jealous.
This exposes a lack of depth to your considerations, Salty. The death of a person removes them from this existence and those left behind suffer a premature loss. The sadness is a response to that loss.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:59 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Sure...but you must go here for the answer, it's not allowed anywhere else: https://www.city-data.com/forum/61416180-post1079.html
OK, thanks for the reply.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This exposes a lack of depth to your considerations, Salty. The death of a person removes them from this existence and those left behind suffer a premature loss. The sadness is a response to that loss.
True, but only in small part, and in any case going to the heaven they say they believe in should overcome the sadness of their loss.

Every life is precious? If they believed life on earth is just a sort of pre-screening for heaven, they'd say something like Every life is a pain-in-the-ass obstacle to be gotten through on the way to heaven.

But, alas, they don't say that. More importantly, they don't act that.

Summary,

They way believers ACT belies that they don't really believe the heaven malarkey. They mouth the words, to be sure, but don't act the act. They fight death, including their own, every step and stumble along the way, belying that they don't really believe what they say they do. They pretend right up to the point where the rubber meets the road. Then it's backpeddle Flank speed.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:03 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Coincidentally, I've just finished reading a book about the ancient history of Central and South America...

"Like other Mesamerican peoples, such as the Zapotec, Totonac, Teotihuacán and Aztec, the Maya derived a number of religious and cultural traits–as well as their number system and their famous calendar–from the Olmec."

https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-americas/maya

We probably all know about the many thousands of human sacrifices these people believed were necessary to appease the gods, but did you know many of the sacrifices believed they were fortunate to be chosen for sacrifice? Some even asked to be sacrificed, because they believed as Salty describes. Essentially the belief they were going to a "better place."

All to say let's not be too hasty or high-horsed to suggest others lack a depth of understanding. Especially when it comes to all of human history rather than just our own little world today. Of course ancient history is not present day, but the story of Jim Jones is not all that ancient. Now is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality