Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 PM

2,400 posts, read 784,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's all that needs to be said about that. It's not relevant to Religion or Spirituality.
10-4. I couldn't help myself in responding. I apologize to you and the forum. Mia Culpa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 09:45 PM

35 posts, read 11,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
One of the things that believers do (or don't do) is ignore obvious, HUGE disconnects between what they profess on one hand, and what they profess on the other. Dots they old to be true, but which not only can't be connected, but are in direct contravention to each other.

Well-known radio host Dennis Prager is a believer in the perfect, all knowing god of the bible. A god to wise and powerful as to have created the Universe and all that is in it, including ALL the laws of nature, all the way down to the forces that hold the various particles of atoms together.

Yet, in the next breath, he describes mankind, the crowning achievement of this "creator", as being deeply flawed!

Whoa Nelly, how can that be. Onmi-whatever creator that is infinitely-wise and powerful, and the best he can come up with is a deeply flawed mankind! Really!

The contradiction is immense to the point of infinity.

I do agree that mankind is deeply flawed, so it must be the other side of the contradiction that is fatally-flawed, i.e. that there is an omni-this and omni-that creator., It simply can't be both ways if one is in the least bit intellectually-honest (not a characteristic, however, properly associated with believers or believing).

If God created humans with free choice, then could the poor employment of that capacity to rupture a connection with God have affected humans negatively leaving them flawed?

Old 06-02-2021, 10:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Quote:
One of the things that believers do (or don't do) is ignore obvious, HUGE disconnects between what they profess on one hand, and what they profess on the other. Dots they old to be true, but which not only can't be connected, but are in direct contravention to each other.

Well-known radio host Dennis Prager is a believer in the perfect, all knowing god of the bible. A god to wise and powerful as to have created the Universe and all that is in it, including ALL the laws of nature, all the way down to the forces that hold the various particles of atoms together.

Yet, in the next breath, he describes mankind, the crowning achievement of this "creator", as being deeply flawed!

Whoa Nelly, how can that be. Onmi-whatever creator that is infinitely-wise and powerful, and the best he can come up with is a deeply flawed mankind! Really!

The contradiction is immense to the point of infinity.

I do agree that mankind is deeply flawed, so it must be the other side of the contradiction that is fatally-flawed, i.e. that there is an omni-this and omni-that creator., It simply can't be both ways if one is in the least bit intellectually-honest (not a characteristic, however, properly associated with believers or believing).
We were created in his image.
God is free to do what he wants as are we.
But being free to do what we want doesn't mean we should.
Some think that when the Bible talks about being perfect it means absolute perfection. It doesn't.
Mankind was created perfect but within the boundaries that God set.
But you can't expect a perfect creation to operate perfectly when it operates outside the boundaries for what it was intended for.

I believe we all come from one source. If we come from one source then its reasonable to expect we inherit some things from that one source.
Parents, for example, with flawed genes will pass it on to their offspring.
But there is a future time that we will return to the perfect state that originally was intended for mankind.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:59 PM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Like most metaphorical and allegorical literary works...not every single part is a metaphor for something else.
In the Bible...Earth is really Earth, the desert is really the desert, most Countries/Cities are really those places, the Sun is really the Sun, Caesar is really Caesar, the Roman Centurions are really the Roman Centurions, etc.
Some things like a reference to being a "slave" or executions by torture may be actual or allegorical...while coming back to life after being dead, walking on the surface of a body of water, instapoof 6 day Creation, and eternal torment in a fiery necrodestination run by some monster guy named Satan, etc...are obvious metaphors.
It is usually very easy to discern the actual from the allegorical...though there is a bit that could go either way.
I know you all know this...but, as usual, your miserable attitudes and hatred of Religion has you pretending that you don't.
But then, y'all are so hatefully disingenuous that you argue the actions and attitude flaws of an Entity that you do not believe exists, just so you can bash those that Believe...so, It makes reasoning difficult.
I am surprised you recopied this* after claiming allegorical Jesus was historical, and I provided data as evidence that it was probably not.

It is as if you are not really here to discuss religion, but to ironically bash atheism.

* https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...l#post61154291 post 141

78.21% and 85.37% identical.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebridius View Post
If God created humans with free choice, then could the poor employment of that capacity to rupture a connection with God have affected humans negatively leaving them flawed?
Sounds too much like a Soap Opera. If, if, if.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:57 AM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Speaking of fiction!

"ANTIFA is Disease, BLM is Disease, DNC is Disease"

We've all got our demons...
Yep, I had to chuckle at the "Prager is no fool" comment after reading that tag line.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Some think that when the Bible talks about being perfect it means absolute perfection. It doesn't.
But you can't expect a perfect creation to operate perfectly when it operates outside the boundaries for what it was intended for.

I believe we all come from one source. If we come from one source then its reasonable to expect we inherit some things from that one source.
But there is a future time that we will return to the perfect state that originally was intended for mankind.
Do you actually believe all this convoluted hooey? God did this, and god did that, and although he supposedly is perfect, things went haywire, so mankind (not God, who made the mess) gets punished. Please, return to sanity. This stuff is worse than Dungeons and Dragons.

Just accept that:

The Universe exists, nobody "created it"
Life exists
Death exists

Heaven, hell, god, devils, demons, angels, eternal life, after life........
DON'T exist.

Just:

Be good
Do good
Fight evil

You really don't need all the superfluous made-up crappola that "religion" has filled your head with. It's mind-numbing nonsense, and false to-boot.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:39 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
10-4. I couldn't help myself in responding. I apologize to you and the forum. Mia Culpa!
I can easily keep myself from responding to notions like that...

Old 06-03-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

You can't expect a book written by humans, so many humans, so long ago, to be perfect either. No more perfect than all the various interpretations thereof. Confusion at best. Otherwise we're all "free" to believe whatever we like, and boy do we...

Old 06-03-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yep, I had to chuckle at the "Prager is no fool" comment after reading that tag line.
Interesting to consider how a tag line enters a thread and how one might argue it becomes a part of the commentary in that thread as a result...

Normally I hardly even notice them, but that one kind of popped out at me. Again proving all of us are "free" to believe just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality