Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM

553 posts, read 568,699 times

Advertisements

I am sure may of us are aware the bible, especially the first middle third, is filled with all kinds of gore and mayhem. The interesting thing is there is a god tossed in the mix, supposedly ordering all kinds of butchering.

When I have presented these passages to Christians and asked them to explain them to me, I have had some tell me that God, for example, ordered the extermination of the Canaanites because they were evil and their sinful lifestyles had run it course. So now my question is, if you, a Christian, lived in those days (you being an Israelite committed to God), would you have participated in the genocidal acts supposedly ordered by God via the "inspired" mouth of Moses or Joshua?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM

97 posts, read 203,640 times
I'm a girl. I wouldn't be asked to! lol

As far as the genocidal acts... the reality is that in those days (the way I see it)... it was kind of Atila the Hun they were fighting.

Had they not destroyed the people, the people would have destroyed them.
Not the most civilized of days. It was kind of kill or be killed the way I understand it.

Jesus says He's going to kill everyone who won't come under His rule... in the end. Here's a really good verse to ask Christians about:

Luke 19:27But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

God fully intends to destroy everyone who will not come under His rule. That's what the Bible says. The Bible says it's because they are evil.

Grace and peace,

"LeeLee"

Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM

756 posts, read 2,575,421 times
Luke 19:27 is a parable...a story given as an example...it speaks of a King who will destroy the enemies who hate him.

to your question: Yes

Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Obey God and leave the consequences to Him.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,418 times
New International Version
The Parable of the Ten Minas

"A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.[a]'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.'
14"But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We don't want this man to be our king.'
15"He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.
16"The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.'
17" 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'
18"The second came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned five more.'
19"His master answered, 'You take charge of five cities.'
20"Then another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.'
22"His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23Why then didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?'
24"Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.'
25" 'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!'
26"He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away. 27But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me."

So, in this parable we have a rich guy who goes to a land that does not belong to him and makes himself king.
Then he gives money to his servants and tells them to invest and make more.
But one poor bloke is afraid he might lose his masters money and he know what a mean *** he is, so he decides to just keep the money and give it back.
Yep, he get in trouble for that because this self made king wants what he did not sow. “You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow”
And in the end the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. “I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away.“
This kind of sounds like the Burmese vote. “But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me."

Last edited by Aeroman; 05-12-2008 at 07:22 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM

97 posts, read 203,640 times
God must destroy all evil to bring the Kingdom of Christ fully into being. He destroys all "alter egos"... all sinners... all evil... and recreates them anew in Christ.

Destruction precedes re-creation.

God's character is not comprised by the "middle" of destruction of all evil "Mr. Hydes".

All that we see will be destroyed by fire... and re-created. That's what the Bible teaches.

All's well that ends well. None of us will even remember this place.

Grace and peace,

"LeeLee"

Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace_explosion View Post
I'm a girl. I wouldn't be asked to! lol

As far as the genocidal acts... the reality is that in those days (the way I see it)... it was kind of Atila the Hun they were fighting.

Had they not destroyed the people, the people would have destroyed them.
Not the most civilized of days. It was kind of kill or be killed the way I understand it.

Jesus says He's going to kill everyone who won't come under His rule... in the end. Here's a really good verse to ask Christians about:

Luke 19:27But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

God fully intends to destroy everyone who will not come under His rule. That's what the Bible says. The Bible says it's because they are evil.

Grace and peace,

"LeeLee"
I'm not sure you answered the question, Grace. Not whether God did it, is going to do it, etc. I asked if you lived in those days and Moses got one of his "thus sayeth the lord" moments and asked you to go kill a few Midianites, would you have complied?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
Luke 19:27 is a parable...a story given as an example...it speaks of a King who will destroy the enemies who hate him.

to your question: Yes

So you would have killed people who did you or your people nothing for God? Am I understanding you correctly?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Obey God and leave the consequences to Him.
Meaning you would slain a Canaanite or two?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Eeeesh, this thread is just getting creepier.

Whether you kill for a god named allah, jehovah or jesus it is still murder. It would seem illogical for god of any name to demand his followers to break one of the most serious of his own commandments. But, thats just me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality