Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 11:38 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Doesn't matter.
The minority isn't always either...and what is "right" is largely subjective.
But what the majority typically is...powerful, influential, dominant, ruling.
Abrahamic Religion has had as much influence on this world as just about any elective concept, ever. THAT'S "The Beef".
The "Beef" is evidence of which your posts have failed, as of this writing, to produce. None. Man's quest for knowledge has put Abrahamic Religion in its dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter.
The minority isn't always either...and what is "right" is largely subjective.
But what the majority typically is...powerful, influential, dominant, ruling.
Abrahamic Religion has had as much influence on this world as just about any elective concept, ever. THAT'S "The Beef".
Never mind. I'm not going down that road again with you.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:26 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
The evidence of God is for those who engage in surrendering to God and their time and praying and believing or going to a church where there is evidence of Holy Spirit and were the church does preach the gospel of Christ. ............ In the world the justice of God can be seen through the support that God can muster, as look to the collapse of the Roman Empire, and Germany post 1940 post-war, as these groups of people rejected the Jewish people who God supports ....and the American abolition is the support God got through the spirit ...... All these evidence is only for people who believe, where people who reason out these will never have evidence

Old 06-22-2021, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The evidence of God is for those who engage in surrendering to God and their time and praying and believing or going to a church where there is evidence of Holy Spirit and were the church does preach the gospel of Christ. ............ In the world the justice of God can be seen through the support that God can muster, as look to the collapse of the Roman Empire, and Germany post 1940 post-war, as these groups of people rejected the Jewish people who God supports ....and the American abolition is the support God got through the spirit ...... All these evidence is only for people who believe, where people who reason out these will never have evidence
Well, I used to believe, Never saw a lick of evidence - just contradictions discovered by man's quest for knowledge.

It became obvious to me as I approached the age of 21, that all this god-stuff was all just BS.All of it, soup-to-nuts.

Nothing has been produced to change my mind ever since, and I am in my late 60's now.

As far as the "justice of god" goes, I see no justice whatsoever except as what is dispensed by man. The natural world is rife with inhumanity, suffering, depredation, predation, pestilence and disease of the most horrible sort.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:07 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Moderator, please note smarmy attitude in this post. He just EDUCATED me!! I must insist he be banned for his insolence. He is as bad or worse than Mystic.

He has a record of thumbing his nose at attempts by moderators to keep his posting between the rails, and this is just another attempt.

Condescending BS. If you wonder why these discussions devolve into name-calling, well, you see if real time in his post.
I'm sorry, but this was posted at 1:35 AM. This old man is rarely awake then.

--------------

If I deleted all the off topic posts in this thread, there would only be two posts left on the first page.

Please stop spamming every thread with off topic remarks. I've posted warnings in 4 or 5 thread in just the past 2 days, and Mightyqueen801 has posted some warnings too. After this many warnings, any infractions will be doubled in length.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:56 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
To mensa's point, it just so happens that all the R&S mods are in the Eastern time zone.

But to the topic, I don't get the point of this same old same old type of post. There is no prize for being the 100th or 1000th person to prance on up into this forum and demand that someone produce evidence for God. You (collective you), keep asking the same question, and it's not because you really think you'll get an answer. You know that there is no evidence for God beyond the belief, and perhaps experiences, of believers, and even with the latter it is personal evidence for them and not something they can use to prove something to you.

There seems to be no point in the repetition of posting this over and over ad nauseum except to say, "neener neener, I don't believe in God and you can't prove there is one!"

Of course, if you genuinely wanted to know if God exists, whether it be the Abrahamic version or some other, you would ask, "Hey if you really exist, let me know!"

Then you would have your evidence. Or not.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To mensa's point, it just so happens that all the R&S mods are in the Eastern time zone.

But to the topic, I don't get the point of this same old same old type of post. There is no prize for being the 100th or 1000th person to prance on up into this forum and demand that someone produce evidence for God. You (collective you), keep asking the same question, and it's not because you really think you'll get an answer. You know that there is no evidence for God beyond the belief, and perhaps experiences, of believers, and even with the latter it is personal evidence for them and not something they can use to prove something to you.

There seems to be no point in the repetition of posting this over and over ad nauseum except to say, "neener neener, I don't believe in God and you can't prove there is one!"

Of course, if you genuinely wanted to know if God exists, whether it be the Abrahamic version or some other, you would ask, "Hey if you really exist, let me know!"

Then you would have your evidence. Or not.
If that is the case, shut down the forum, for as I see it, there isn't really anything to talk about.

As far as asking if "you really exist....", do you really think i haven't already done that. You know what the answer was? Same as here, CRICKETS!

Everyone here, with maybe an exception, is a one-trick pony so to speak, more or less.

But as you insist in a sort of round-a-bout manner, I'll desist and you all can go back to sleep.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,385,293 times
Quote:
I have gone down this path before but have yet to get a meaningful much less believable, response. So, in the hopes that somebody can come up with something I proceed.
The premise of the existence of a god is a hugely-outlandish story complete with such things as heaven, hell, angels, devils, eternal life and a whole bunch more elements that are not in the least visible to the naked eye. Great floods, Garden of Eden on and on.
Much of this story is based on religious dogma contained in the bible, notably the "story" of the beginnings of the Universe including the speck of dust we live on, orbiting a small spark we call the sun.
Over the centuries much has been discovered about the true nature of our planet, solar system, galaxy and universe and virtually-all of it contradicts dogma. At the very least nothing of significance has been found to support the dogma.
So I ask if anyone has any evidence (demonstrable and on-point) that the story of god etc., is true. Any evidence at all. IF you do, please provide it in following posts if you would be so kind.
For my first 50 years, I too questioned and doubted.
Yet with my career IN the sciences - deep science has never been able to prove that God doesn't exist.
Still not enough for me, I finally found a 'Gotcha' verse in the NT of the bible:
Jesus stated the He and the Father would 'make their dwelling with those who love Him and obey His commands".
Searching for 'someone' who had accomplished that, I found them, and found HIM!

Old 06-22-2021, 09:06 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
It has been explained...those writings are metaphorical and allegorical representations of things as best they knew them to be back then over a thousand years ago.
Anyone thinking it's all literal is mistaken. Though, I have no problem if anyone does.
OTOH...they are the most epic, prolific, and influential writings in all of human history...just how they are, that's "The Beef".
And those that take issue with that, and are bothered enough by it to interrogate the faithful over their Beliefs, may as well just spit into a strong wind, or try to stop the tide from coming in.
Yes of course. Religious texts were amongst the first books ever written by the few people who could actually write. Of course they were influential. They could have written any old nonsense and it would have been influential, and indeed did include an awful lot of nonsense.
All of it was taken to be absolutely literal by many until quite recently. Many people still think it is all literal.
Of course now we know that it is all stories used to explain what was not understood about nature and to guide people along with some sort of convoluted version of morality. Thats not to say people didn't take it literally at the time.
You are viewing it from a very 21st century perspective.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:10 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
I have gone down this path before but have yet to get a meaningful much less believable, response. So, in the hopes that somebody can come up with something I proceed.

The premise of the existence of a god is a hugely-outlandish story complete with such things as heaven, hell, angels, devils, eternal life and a whole bunch more elements that are not in the least visible to the naked eye. Great floods, Garden of Eden on and on.

Much of this story is based on religious dogma contained in the bible, notably the "story" of the beginnings of the Universe including the speck of dust we live on, orbiting a small spark we call the sun.

Over the centuries much has been discovered about the true nature of our planet, solar system, galaxy and universe and virtually-all of it contradicts dogma. At the very least nothing of significance has been found to support the dogma.

So I ask if anyone has any evidence (demonstrable and on-point) that the story of god etc., is true. Any evidence at all. IF you do, please provide it in following posts if you would be so kind.
I'm actually not quite clear what your question is?

Are you asking for evidence of the existence of god based on people's experience or are you asking for the existence of god based on biblical texts and asking people to cite references based on the texts?
I think it's the second one, but could you just clarify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality