Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 06:50 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times

Advertisements

Belief and knowledge are two utterly different things.

Belief can be so powerful that it feels like knowledge, but it's not. Heck, the Bible says as much when it reads, "Faith is the confidence in what we hope for, and assurance about what we do not see."

I don't need to believe in the country of Australia, for example, even though I've never been. I have multiple friends and family members who have been to Australia. There are photos and videos galore of Australia. The empirical evidence of Australia is beyond dispute. That is knowledge.

Meanwhile, nothing in any of the world's religious faiths is knowledge. It's partly oral tradition, partly suppositions, partly the described experiences of individuals, and partly the work of theologians who try to create a framework in order to understand those experiences. Then again, atheism isn't any better, simply because there's no way to disprove religious belief either.

There's only one way we will have knowledge, our experiences after death. Until then, it's nothing more than educated guesses. And sometimes not all that educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 06:53 AM

43 posts, read 24,964 times
Ah Peter600, so you are now admitting your default option may be wrong and your "logic" may be wrong and that it's possible that someone who disagrees with you on the matter may be correct.
Thanks for that admission.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:10 AM

884 posts, read 357,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sung View Post
Ah Peter600, so you are now admitting your default option may be wrong and your "logic" may be wrong and that it's possible that someone who disagrees with you on the matter may be correct.
Thanks for that admission.
If I have a position or claim, the burden is on me to give explicit justification. Then, after I have given explicit justification someone may give an explicit refusal of my justification. No one has done so yet for that post.

Obviously I might be wrong. I may be mistaken, my brain may be fooling myself, my perception of reality may be inaccurate, etc. Hence the need for explicit justification, evidence and argument for any position.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:12 AM

MinivanDriver .... belief and knowledge can often lead to the exact same thing. For example, a girl's cat went missing 5 minutes ago. That cat often hid in a little box in the attic. The girl had once seen the cat in the box 5 months ago. So, the girl ponders with "my cat was in that box back then and I believe it's in that box now, so I'll have a look". Guess what? She looked in the box and found the cat hiding there.

Conclusion = Point 1:The girl had a "belief" that the cat was there on the second occasion (she didn't "know" ..... she believed). Point 2:The girl had "knowledge" (based on the first occasion) which led to her belief.
Therefore, knowledge and belief are NOT "2 utterly different things" as you claim. They can merge and become one in order to achieve a final outcome.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
If I have a position or claim, the burden is on me to give explicit justification. Then, after I have given explicit justification someone may give an explicit refusal of my justification. No one has done so yet for that post.

Obviously I might be wrong. I may be mistaken, my brain may be fooling myself, my perception of reality may be inaccurate, etc. Hence the need for explicit justification and argument for any position.

Peter600: Thanks so much for admitting you might be wrong, you might be mistaken, your brain may be fooling you, your perception of reality may be inaccurate, etc.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:16 AM

884 posts, read 357,284 times
Quote:
Peter600: Thanks so much for admitting you might be wrong, you might be mistaken, your brain may be fooling you, your perception of reality may be inaccurate, etc.
You are welcome

Old 09-17-2021, 07:21 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"My beliefs are accurate & if you don't agree with me then you must be wrong".

I believe that has been borne out by history...."My religion is the right one, and I'll kill you to prove it".

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-17-2021, 07:29 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
You sound way more agnostic than atheist. It seems you think your agnostic atheist stance is the correct way to go and that those who don't adopt your stance are likely wrong.
No, I doubt very much (99.99999%) any god or gods exist, which makes me an atheist. This is based on the knowledge I have. Agnosticism is saying one does not have enough information to make a decision.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"My beliefs are accurate & if you don't agree with me then you must be wrong".

I believe that has been borne out by history...."My religion is the right one, and I'll kill you to prove it".

Regards
Gemstone1

Precisely. Just look at the history of Christianity and Islam

Old 09-17-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, I doubt very much (99.99999%) any god or gods exist, which makes me an atheist. This is based on the knowledge I have. Agnosticism is saying one does not have enough information to make a decision.

But you have not made a decision that a god thingy does NOT exist, therefore you are leaving open the "possibility" (no matter how small). Therefore you are very much an agnostic atheist.
When a person calls knowledge "fact" we can always eventually find people who call that exact same knowledge "non factual".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality