Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 06:53 AM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Existence itself. We have no evidence some divine intelligence set the parameters of our existence, and asserting a divine intelligence raises more questions than it answers.
Existence is Brhaman in Sanskrit. We agree. It is the natural law and it does not create anything. It does not create anything but is the essence in all that is created. Including me and you. Our bodies and all that is seen are unreal, will perish, and become extinct, like the 21 bird species have recently. But Brhman alone remains. That is why it is the only Truth, the only Reality.
This is the principle based on the Vedas, ancient texts of Hinduism. Intuited by Rishis after years of contemplation. This idea, that there is only one Truth and that Truth is all that IS and is within all that is seen is asserted again and again in many different ways well before Western Science came around to this idea of Quantum.
This principle statement is woven in to all ancient texts, in metaphors and mythologies, in commandments and what not. We all acquire knowledge in different ways, according to our station and capabilities. And thus the principle is understood in different ways. That too is Brhman, Knowledge is Brhman.
Worship and deities arise from awe. You cannot see and experience the unlimited variety that is all around, including the terrific destructions, death and birth and mayhem, and not be awed. That awe is the center of worship. The deity is the personification of the power of Brhman that is within all the forms that exist. How you worship also differs from person to person. That too is Brhman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 07:04 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Existence is Brhaman in Sanskrit. We agree. It is the natural law and it does not create anything. It does not create anything but is the essence in all that is created. Including me and you. Our bodies and all that is seen are unreal, will perish, and become extinct, like the 21 bird species have recently. But Brhman alone remains. That is why it is the only Truth, the only Reality.
This is the principle based on the Vedas, ancient texts of Hinduism. Intuited by Rishis after years of contemplation. This idea, that there is only one Truth and that Truth is all that IS and is within all that is seen is asserted again and again in many different ways well before Western Science came around to this idea of Quantum.
This principle statement is woven in to all ancient texts, in metaphors and mythologies, in commandments and what not. We all acquire knowledge in different ways, according to our station and capabilities. And thus the principle is understood in different ways. That too is Brhman, Knowledge is Brhman.
Worship and deities arise from awe. You cannot see and experience the unlimited variety that is all around, including the terrific destructions, death and birth and mayhem, and not be awed. That awe is the center of worship. The deity is the personification of the power of Brhman that is within all the forms that exist. How you worship also differs from person to person. That too is Brhman.
yes, well said

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-30-2021 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-30-2021, 07:07 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
To understand what and why anyone believes or doesn't believe something can be divided into presumption or faith

Christianity is a philosophy not a religion

Religion except perfect religion is a creation of man

Perfect religion is loving and caring for those who need it the most and doesn't require anything to practice

Perfect religion has just one member, ever... so far

Old 09-30-2021, 07:11 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Actually science is confirming what religionists believe.
Imagination or belief generally precedes discovery. Collateral discovery is possible too.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:14 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times
Every spoken word is spirit going forth. Which is why you have both blessings and curses, truth and lies going forth in this good and evil world.

It appears that science has poisoned the air with a world wide virus, and that is the spirit that was sent out by science in these times.

When they sent a man to the moon, they couldn't do that without spirit, just as when you throw a lit match in a can full of gasoline, the match goes out. And when you throw a lit match in a can that gasoline has been emptied from, it explodes. As it is the mixture of the unseen fumes that is explosive, spirit and fuel combined together.

Those who say they are not a living creation, created by God, only assume a self creation upon themselves.

King David carried along by the Spirit of God gave prophecy of the resurrection in the Psalms. And while the earth is powered by spirit, there are many who deny spirit power while they interact with it daily. Some for evil purposes and some for good.

You can see spirit in creation all around, even in the food you eat. To deny that is to deny the life.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:23 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let me ask you a question.

Back to when I was still going to church, either when I was pretty much forced to go as a child, or later when I chose to go, I can't tell you how many times I heard group prayers in church for an end to world hunger. Those prayers have been going on since at least the 1950s (and probably before that) and continue today. Has world hunger ended? No.

Could science, if used properly by man end world hunger?
Ah, but world hunger has been significantly reduced since the 1950s through great effort. So, if some of those prayers were "guide me to do what needs to be done to end world hunger", then perhaps those prayers were answered indeed.

If by prayer you mean expecting a magical event that would make hunger go POOF overnight, then no, that wasn't gonna happen, and it was unrealistic to think so.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:35 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
What is the source of natural law? You never answered the question.
My knowledge that i know where my phone is is the manifestation of Knowledge that exists, is eternal and will exist after my body dies. Science is only discovering the potential of this Eternal Knowledge. It still has long way to go because Knowledge is infinite. That Knowledge is all there is, and in me. You as well whether you understand that or not.
The driving force behind natural law, behind everything that occurs, is the positive/negative attraction/repulsion process that occurs among certain of the quanta. Which is the basis of quantum mechanics. An application of which allows that phone in your purse, and that computer you are sitting at, among other technological marvels, to function.

Is this process the result of some cosmic intelligence? Well, perhaps. But so far there is no evidence of that.

So why should things be this way? The best answer to that question seems to be, because things have to be some way. In this universe, the only universe we are currently capable of observing, they currently appear to be this way. Or so it is observed. At this point in time, the existence of God is not observed at all. The existence of God can only be imagined.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:43 AM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The driving force behind natural law, behind everything that occurs, is the positive/negative attraction/repulsion process that occurs among certain of the quanta. Which is the basis of quantum mechanics. An application of which allows that phone in your purse, and that computer you are sitting at, among other technological marvels, to function.

Is this process the result of some cosmic intelligence? Well, perhaps. But so far there is no evidence of that.

So why should things be this way? The best answer to that question seems to be, because things have to be some way. In this universe, the only universe we are currently capable of observing, they currently appear to be this way. Or so it is observed. At this point in time, the existence of God is not observed at all. The existence of God can only be imagined.
My post had nothing about how my phone works. It was about what Knowledge is. Did you answer what the source of Natural Law is? Did i miss it?
What god is is not a static idea. There is philosophical approach and a pragmatic approach. Both are valid because it is a personal belief and is as unique as each of us are.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:55 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, but world hunger has been significantly reduced since the 1950s through great effort. So, if some of those prayers were "guide me to do what needs to be done to end world hunger", then perhaps those prayers were answered indeed.

If by prayer you mean expecting a magical event that would make hunger go POOF overnight, then no, that wasn't gonna happen, and it was unrealistic to think so.
excellent points, both of these

Old 09-30-2021, 08:19 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Wonderful post and answers, MQ! If more people understood this view of prayer things could be vastly different than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality