Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2021, 12:26 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
back to basics: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
simple logic: it is impossible for science to "know what can not be."

just like when you were an atheist you used the same argument "we know from science it can not be."
you're still using the same dogmatic argument which by your own experience you now know is flawed.

glossary: dogmatic, "inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true."
I think you missed my point. It is NOT what we do not know that is the problem. It is what we DO know that contradicts the beliefs that are the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 01:17 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think you missed my point. It is NOT what we do not know that is the problem. It is what we DO know that contradicts the beliefs that are the issue.
my observation is that you are labeling your own beliefs as "knowledge"
while labeling other beliefs which you may disagree with as "beliefs."

that is the very definition of dogmatic:
inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true.

there is no "WE" know. not everyone knows the same things. it varies from person to person.

there is what you know, what she knows, what he knows.
there is what you believe, what she believes, what he believes.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:11 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
my observation is that you are labeling your own beliefs as "knowledge"
while labeling other beliefs which you may disagree with as "beliefs."

that is the very definition of dogmatic:
inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true.

there is no "WE" know. not everyone knows the same things. it varies from person to person.

there is what you know, what she knows, what he knows.
there is what you believe, what she believes, what he believes.
You and CB keep flirting with Solipsism to defend your views about Oneness, but everything is NOT subjective.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You and CB keep flirting with Solipsism to defend your views about Oneness, but everything is NOT subjective.
knowing the difference between "facts" and "beliefs opinions views" is useful, if not essential, in discussing the topic of this thread.

i don't use the terms "solipsism" "subjective" and "objective."
How do they relate to the topic of this thread which is "Science as a religion and the 'ten truths' revisited"

Old 12-11-2021, 03:05 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
the topic is "the ten truths" and "science as a religion." regarding the questions asked above, check out the opening post.

posts 128 and 134 written by you, and directly quoted in full, state your beliefs and views regarding "facts" and "fairy tales."
I would remind you that the original post in this thread was not written by the same poster who wrote the Ten Truths essay.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
the question stands, for anyone to respond:
I'll give you a practical example.

One of the fairy tales that persists in the 'old' Buddhist world is outlined very clearly here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_(..._of_the_Buddha). Just scroll down to the section entitled "Life Of Maya".

Or let's take the fairy tale of Jonah being saved from drowning when he was swallowed by a “great fish” (not a whale), and that he lived for 3 days inside the "great fish" and was then vomited out.

You probably believe those fairy tales.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would remind you that the original post in this thread was not written by the same poster who wrote the Ten Truths essay.
yes. The opening post encompasses both as a thread topic, and the thread title reflects that: "Science as a religion: the 'ten truths' revisited. "

Old 12-11-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I'll give you a practical example. One of the fairy tales that persists in the 'old' Buddhist world is outlined very clearly here: url Maya mother of the Buddha. Or let's take the fairy tale of Jonah being saved from drowning when he was swallowed by a “great fish” (not a whale), and that he lived for 3 days inside the "great fish" and was then vomited out. You probably believe those fairy tales.
so then for everything that you disagree with do you consider that a "fairy tale."
do you believe that everything that is not a "fact" is a "fairy tale"

because in the 'ten truths' a similar false dichotomy is presented; that unless something is a "scientific fact" then it is "not the truth." if its not a "fact" then it is "fiction." others have mentioned "fact or faith" and "if its not science then it is incoherent and insane." those either-or scenarios are false dichotomies.

"the false dichotomy is defined as an argument where only two choices are presented yet more exist, or a spectrum of possible choices exists between two extremes."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-11-2021 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
so then for everything that you disagree with do you consider that a "fairy tale."
do you believe that everything that is not a "fact" is a "fairy tale"

because in the 'ten truths' a similar false dichotomy is presented; that unless something is a "scientific fact" then it is "not the truth." if its not a "fact" then it is "fiction." others have mentioned "fact or faith" and "if its not science then it is incoherent and insane." those either-or scenarios are false dichotomies.

"the false dichotomy is defined as an argument where only two choices are presented yet more exist, or a spectrum of possible choices exists between two extremes."
No.

There is a difference between a "fact" and a statement of philosophy.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
No. There is a difference between a "fact" and a statement of philosophy.
there are also views, opinions, beliefs.
and every path of religion and spirituality contains within it a philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality