Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 06:02 AM

50,847 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
#1 goes.

The Bible never presents God as loving every human being that ever lived. He only loves his children. And John 1:12 states that if we believe in Jesus we can become his children. We are not born his children, but he predestines those whom he chooses to salvation.
Oh, so who created the 'bad' people who don't believe in your god? Some other god over in the next county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 06:03 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, so who created the 'bad' people who don't believe in your god? Some other god over in the next county?
Did you read my post? We're all born "bad" due to the sin nature we inherit from Adam.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:04 AM

50,847 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Did you read my post? We're all born "bad" due to the sin nature we inherit from Adam.
You didn't answer my question.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You didn't answer my question.
Read my last post again. God created all of us. We inherit sin from Adam. We are all bad. But God, in his mercy, chooses to save some, and predestines them for salvation. Not based on who we are or what we've done, but on his choice.

There is not a shred of self-righteousness here. Nothing I've done or am qualifies me to be chosen. I did absolutely NOTHING to be saved. God did everything.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:13 AM

884 posts, read 357,560 times
Quote:
Read my last post again. God created all of us. We inherit sin from Adam. We are all bad. But God, in his mercy, chooses to save some, and predestines them for salvation. Not based on who we are or what we've done, but on his choice.

There is not a shred of self-righteousness here. Nothing I've done or am qualifies me to be chosen. I did absolutely NOTHING to be saved. God did everything.
Does God have power in deciding what is sin and what is not? Who decides what is sin?

Old 11-23-2021, 06:20 AM

299 posts, read 104,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The problem, OP, is that you are applying logic to a situation that is out of the purview of logic. These are classic Sunday School questions: "If God can do anything, can He make a stone so heavy He can't lift it?" (Note that I'm using the traditional "he" but God is not necessarily male or female; it's just that my tradition uses that terminology.)

If you need to solve a software problem, you don't bring a box of plumber's tools, do you? You're trying to apply logic/science tools to a problem of faith. Wrong tool box.
I strongly disagree if someone says you can't bring reason to religion. I think you have to, so as to avoid believing in self-contradictory nonsense.

The question "can God make a rock . . . ?" is irrational and absurd. Omnipotent beings, logically, cannot be conceived as having the ability to out-omnipotize themselves. Nor can they make square circles. Their inability to break logic is no challenge to their omnipotence.

Did you know; the Bible says that Christ is the very embodiment of Logos - the rational principle?

Old 11-23-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Does God have power in deciding what is sin and what is not? Who decides what is sin?
Yes. Sin is disobedience to his standard, or his commands. It's rebellion against him. And we are all guilty of it. Me included.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:33 AM

884 posts, read 357,560 times
Quote:
Yes. Sin is disobedience to his standard, or his commands. It's rebellion against him. And we are all guilty of it. Me included.
The God you describe comes across as an unpleasant narcissist.

-Decide on a set of rules
-Create some being
-Give them free will
-Punish them when they don't meet the rules he created in step 1

Old 11-23-2021, 06:34 AM

22,216 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
I think I mean what you think I mean by "saved". I am not sure what your second question means. Are you asking how information might pass from a god's mind to mine?
another post that does not make sense.
in addition to the opening post.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
The God you describe comes across as an unpleasant narcissist.

-Decide on a set of rules
-Create some being
-Give them free will
-Punish them when they don't meet the rules he created in step 1
OK? And? Do you think his existence depends on whether or not you like him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality