Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 06:13 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohilus View Post
Obviously - in fact, it could not be more glaringly obvious - my issue is not with the poster's grammar but with the dichotomy of the poster's lament of mythical bygone days of a grammatical ubiquity alongside his churning out of a grammatical disaster (despite professing to have been taught grammatical wonders in the aforeclaimed golden age of grammar).

But by all means, feebly whack away at your silly strawman. Other than tossing regular word salads, you do little else.
Your difficulty with word salads would be mitigated if you actually were a grammar Nazi, had a deeper knowledge of the subject matter being presented, and had better reading comprehension skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 06:48 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I don't have a problem with differing views...just about any views, no matter what they are. You have often criticized me for that.
I am noting those that do take issue with differing views and beliefs...and rag on about it for years.
Especially those that purport that they lack a view & beliefs...but get on the case of those that hold them. On a forum titled so as to be about the very type of views & beliefs they claim that they lack.
Well, I would say your last few posts about me would indicate that you do have a problem. Quite a problem.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:36 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, I would say your last few posts about me would indicate that you do have a problem. Quite a problem.
I take issue with the problem YOU obviously have...and you have such a problem, that you would be so nasty and lowdown as to refer to me as "Jim Crow".
I've seen some messed up insults on this board...but that takes the award for The Very Worst.
Nobody rolls like that but you. That you would do that is indicative of your character and what kind of person you are.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I take issue with the problem YOU obviously have...and you have such a problem, that you would be so nasty and lowdown as to refer to me as "Jim Crow".
I've seen some messed up insults on this board...but that takes the award for The Very Worst.
Nobody rolls like that but you. That you would do that is indicative of your character and what kind of person you are.
Well gee, I have freedom of thought, too, even though I'm a minority. Maybe I'm being unfair to you. But maybe you ought to seriously think about what I reacted to.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:20 PM

640 posts, read 450,572 times
Back to OP's question: The only way to tell truth from lies is to develop critical thinking. How? Let's see. . .

Let me concentrate on how to tell what's true and what's not in our everyday lives, in politics, in Covid. Religion is for another time. There are two pathways to critical thinking in those areas: the long one and the short one.

The long one:
1. Get a business degree (or at least take many online courses in statistics, marketing, human behavior, etc.). It is essential to learn how things work, e.g., can government create jobs? You would be more educated than the reporters who don't know what they are saying.
2. Take trips to the poor countries and to the poor areas of the US, to see how the other half lives. You will quickly see the difference between the two. You will see some real, not made-up, racism, real (not SNAP-supplemented) poverty.
3. Read the novel "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, to see how government and big business conspire against the people and small business.

The short one (one month):
Take a one-month break from the MSM, the NPR, the TV. Watch only the Fox News between 8 and 10 pm. Get a 1-month subscription to the WSJ (or read the editorial pages in a library). Online read only The Gateway Pundit, Breitbart, Bongino Report, Newsmax. No peeking at anything else -- a total detox. After one month, return to your CNN or whatever. Hopefully, by that time you will start screaming at the screen, "Why are you keep talking about this? Why are you silent about that?" That would be the beginning of your critical thinking.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Well gee, I have freedom of thought, too, even though I'm a minority. Maybe I'm being unfair to you. But maybe you ought to seriously think about what I reacted to.
Nah. I note that The Way of the World (especially in a Democratic Society) is such that the desires and preferences of the majority of the constituents will typically take precedence.
That is the way the laws & regulations and who will be our leaders is determined. That's how markets are driven, and what selection of products & services will be readily available.
To rail against that, is to rail against the basic way a Democracy functions. Majority Vote determines what rules.
And that makes sense. Since you can't ever please everyone and satisfy all preferences...you please & satisfy the most possible. A vote/referendum determines what the most people agree upon how things should be.
There is nothing discriminatory, or racist, or in any way demonstrative of prejudice/bias about that. That is simply noting how things actually function in real life & Society.

You turned that into me being "Jim Crow". As heavy a accusation of racism & bigotry there could be.
You don't see how messed up & nasty that is?
You drew some twisted conclusion that I am ultra racially prejudiced...and put it in writing in no uncertain terms. That's beyond not cool.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Back to OP's question: The only way to tell truth from lies is to develop critical thinking. How? Let's see. . .

Let me concentrate on how to tell what's true and what's not in our everyday lives, in politics, in Covid. Religion is for another time. There are two pathways to critical thinking in those areas: the long one and the short one.

The long one:
1. Get a business degree (or at least take many online courses in statistics, marketing, human behavior, etc.). It is essential to learn how things work, e.g., can government create jobs? You would be more educated than the reporters who don't know what they are saying.
2. Take trips to the poor countries and to the poor areas of the US, to see how the other half lives. You will quickly see the difference between the two. You will see some real, not made-up, racism, real (not SNAP-supplemented) poverty.
3. Read the novel "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, to see how government and big business conspire against the people and small business.

The short one (one month):
Take a one-month break from the MSM, the NPR, the TV. Watch only the Fox News between 8 and 10 pm. Get a 1-month subscription to the WSJ (or read the editorial pages in a library). Online read only The Gateway Pundit, Breitbart, Bongino Report, Newsmax. No peeking at anything else -- a total detox. After one month, return to your CNN or whatever. Hopefully, by that time you will start screaming at the screen, "Why are you keep talking about this? Why are you silent about that?" That would be the beginning of your critical thinking.
Things are about to get real interesting around here!
Whooo Hooooooo!

Old 01-08-2022, 08:55 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Anyone who has been following the news lately (and for quite some time actually) has got to notice how important it really is to recognize the truth and/or the lies. How important it truly is to separate the facts from the nonsense, or we end up with people believing, pursuing and insisting on a dangerous battle with windmills that affects all of us. Brings us all down. Indeed the inability of so many people to separate the truth from the lies is a very dangerous thing.

Whether it be religion or politics, the result of this want to embrace falsehoods instead of the truth in order to pursue misguided agendas is a very dangerous thing indeed.

No one really knows what to do about this problem, and I'm short of answers too, but at a minimum I'd ask anyone how they go about separating the truth from the lies? Does their process pass muster?

What is your process and why does it pass muster in your opinion?
It's beyond me.
People will take an anti-parasite medicine meant for horses because they've been told it will prevent covid, but they won't take a vaccine actually designed to fight covid.
I used to be a great optimist about humanity. I believe I wrote posts about my optimism on here. The last 5 years have put paid to all of that. The stupidity of people is breathtaking.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Nah. I note that The Way of the World (especially in a Democratic Society) is such that the desires and preferences of the majority of the constituents will typically take precedence.
That is the way the laws & regulations and who will be our leaders is determined. That's how markets are driven, and what selection of products & services will be readily available.
To rail against that, is to rail against the basic way a Democracy functions. Majority Vote determines what rules.
And that makes sense. Since you can't ever please everyone and satisfy all preferences...you please & satisfy the most possible. A vote/referendum determines what the most people agree upon how things should be.
There is nothing discriminatory, or racist, or in any way demonstrative of prejudice/bias about that. That is simply noting how things actually function in real life & Society.

You turned that into me being "Jim Crow". As heavy a accusation of racism & bigotry there could be.
You don't see how messed up & nasty that is?
You drew some twisted conclusion that I am ultra racially prejudiced...and put it in writing in no uncertain terms. That's beyond not cool.
But there's the problem. When I suggest you ought to think more about what you wrote, you just say "Nah".
Sometimes I wonder if you don't intentionally stir things up.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
But there's the problem. When I suggest you ought to think more about what you wrote, you just say "Nah".
Sometimes I wonder if you don't intentionally stir things up.
I don't need to "think about it". I spelled it out in detail off-hand. It's basic reality.
How is that "stirring things up"? And what would calling someone "Jim Crow" be...putting forth sweetness & light?
The issue is your beyond-the-pale insults falsely ascribing negative attitudes and volition to me. For no good reason...other than to satisfy your obvious desire to be rotten & hateful. Like I said...it is a window into your frame of self-reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality