Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 10:14 AM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Indeed, and if we learn anything either way, we should have learned what a significant influence inculcation has had in establishing and promoting the predominant religions in all the different parts of the word where they are dominant. Mexico - Christian. Islamic - Indonesia. Most Hindu - India. Buddhists - China, etc. What does this tell us about the truth these religions represent where they are inculcated along to the next generation? Generation after generation.

Yet another reason some people see black where others see white...

What's the difference between inculcate and teach?

https://comparewords.com/inculcate/teach

Right! I forgot we're throwing out the definitions of these words too...
And I'll tell you where we see this entrenchment -- mixed religious marriages, which are still a very big deal to many religionists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 10:15 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You state your beliefs as facts, publicly.
You have a problem with this?

Old 03-17-2022, 10:16 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I agree. I have never suggested what you're saying.

Yes it would. Divine Truth is not contingent on geography or on my own individual perspective.
You are right that the truth, our universal truth, is not dependent on geography. What you define as "Divine Truth" (as best I can understand your meaning) IS most certainly dependent on geography. Clearly this is the case IF you understand the facts of these matters as I provided them in my prior comment (#60).

A big IF in your case, or so it seems...

Old 03-17-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You are right that the truth, our universal truth, is not dependent on geography. What you define as "Divine Truth" (as best I can understand your meaning) IS most certainly dependent on geography. Clearly this is the case IF you understand the facts of these matters as I provided them in my prior comment.

A big IF in your case, or so it seems...
The acceptance of Divine Truth does have a geographic correlation, or has historically. But that has no bearing on whether it is in fact true or not.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You have a problem with this?
Yes.

I don't believe in stating personal beliefs as facts.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Miracles occur quite often in our lives, we just might not see them as being miracles. If you are anti-religious (not just an agnostic with an open mind), no amount of being told of miracles, and even seeing some yourself will convince you that they are not just happy coincidences. There is ALWAYS an "alternative" way to explain a miracle as something that had a natural explanation.

Even the example of a miracle OP cites -- rising from the dead -- could be explained as the person not really being dead, etc.

In my life there were many major and minor miracles, you just need to grasp what really happened. One example: years ago I was visiting Philly and was crossing the street at a busy intersection. I looked this way and that and did not see any traffic, so I went. Suddenly, out or a corner of my eye, I saw a truck rushing toward me from a side street I haven't noticed. The time slowed down, and I saw people in front of me gasping. Somehow I sprinted forward, and the truck whizzed by. I was quite shaken but alive. I call it a miracle; you can call it a lucky break.

That's the difference between the believers and the atheists.
You are right of course...

People have a very different way of "processing" what is going on around them. A very different way of recognizing or attributing cause and effect. We probably all know people who think something that happened to them is a miracle. My experience with people like that usually involves a belief that more than one life event has been a miracle far as they are concerned. Then too, there are people who see a miracle in just about everything going on around them. Others process the same sort of events very differently. They see or know of no good reason to think any one event is a miracle let alone more than one event.

Reminds me of the comparison I made between religious thinking and gambling. Some people will think that rolling just the right numbers on the dice at just the right time is some sort of miraculous divinely assisted occasion. Others know that although that roll is a very rare one, it still happens just like all the other rolls.

Ultimately it's impossible to reconcile the one way of "processing" what is going on according to some people with others who simply don't interpret these events in the same way.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes.

I don't believe in stating personal beliefs as facts.
I'm of the mind that if someone doesn't hold to a personal belief as "fact", then why are they holding to that belief in the first place?

Old 03-17-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I have no problem with the definitions of "faith" found in the dictionary. It all depends on in what sense the word is being used.

I was speaking of faith in the sense of its meaning as a theological virtue and not necessarily in its most generic definitions.
The definition in both respects is clearly provided in just about all dictionaries. Along with others. The fact remains that none of them refer to what is fact as opposed to what is hope, or prayer, or a "strong belief in something for which there is no proof."

Faith as a result of a strong belief (such is yours) is faith. This is true, and most religious people will readily admit such faith is based on other than evidence. Empirical evidence or the sort of evidence generally accepted as sound. We can all accept these common definitions for what they are. Your effort to twist your definition of faith into something other than faith as we all generally understand the term is pointless.

Pointless other than from the standpoint that you want your personal belief to be viewed as something better justified by facts, reason and logic. Most people know better than to go there...

Old 03-17-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
It's unfortunate that classical education is so lacking in our society, or else you would be familiar with the theological virtues.

Here's a simple primer. Scroll a short ways down to "Catholic Church".
Are we talking virtues now?

Old 03-17-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm of the mind that if someone doesn't hold to a personal belief as "fact", then why are they holding to that belief in the first place?
Really? You can only believe in something that is a pure, unadulterated fact? I hate to tell you this that much of what is in the bible has not and cannot be proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality