Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:20 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has been following the news lately (and for quite some time actually) has got to notice how important it really is to recognize the truth and/or the lies. How important it truly is to separate the facts from the nonsense, or we end up with people believing, pursuing and insisting on a dangerous battle with windmills that affects all of us. Brings us all down. Indeed the inability of so many people to separate the truth from the lies is a very dangerous thing.

Whether it be religion or politics, the result of this want to embrace falsehoods instead of the truth in order to pursue misguided agendas is a very dangerous thing indeed.

No one really knows what to do about this problem, and I'm short of answers too, but at a minimum I'd ask anyone how they go about separating the truth from the lies? Does their process pass muster?

What is your process and why does it pass muster in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 10:26 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Anyone who has been following the news lately (and for quite some time actually) has got to notice how important it really is to recognize the truth and/or the lies. How important it truly is to separate the facts from the nonsense, or we end up with people believing, pursuing and insisting on a dangerous battle with windmills that affects all of us. Brings us all down. Indeed the inability of so many people to separate the truth from the lies is a very dangerous thing.

Whether it be religion or politics, the result of this want to embrace falsehoods instead of the truth in order to pursue misguided agendas is a very dangerous thing indeed.

No one really knows what to do about this problem, and I'm short of answers too, but at a minimum I'd ask anyone how they go about separating the truth from the lies? Does their process pass muster?

I don't know that there is 'a process'.

But one place that I start is considering who's making the claim. What's their past record?

Old 01-08-2022, 10:30 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't know that there is 'a process'.

But one place that I start is considering who's making the claim. What's their past record?
That's a good start and what's good about it is that you begin by asking questions...

There are actually many places to start depending on the circumstances, but the beginning has got to be with ourselves. Another question or two of importance for starters are these; do we even think about how our judgement can be clouded? Why? What do we do about it? Do we even try?

Old 01-08-2022, 10:36 AM

In Buddhism there's a teaching that, stated bluntly, basically says, don't associate with fools. So I think another step is looking at what other people are saying the same thing.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:47 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,947 times
Quote:

...critical thinking... grammar, rhetoric and logic, also taught as 'the trivium' is no longer taught at any level in school now....it's a tool to identify dialectic from rhetoric, it's basically your own bullchit meter...i spent four years in a jesuit run, catholic, all boys high school in the late 60's...this way of teaching, being able to identify rhetoric from dialectic was woven into every subject taught...

...most of what you see in the 'media', be it mainstream or otherwise, is rhetoric, hyperbole and word spells and would be mostly dismissed and laughed at hysterically by a populace of savvy consumers....

Old 01-08-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...critical thinking... grammar, rhetoric and logic, also taught as 'the trivium' is no longer taught at any level in school now....it's a tool to identify dialectic from rhetoric, it's basically your own bullchit meter...i spent four years in a jesuit run, catholic, all boys high school in the late 60's...this way of teaching, being able to identify rhetoric from dialectic was woven into every subject taught...

...most of what you see in the 'media', be it mainstream or otherwise, is rhetoric, hyperbole and word spells and would be mostly dismissed and laughed at hysterically by a populace of savvy consumers....
And were they open to critical review of catholicism?

Old 01-08-2022, 11:14 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Anytime anybody says anything, even if they state it as a fact or truth, whether they explicitly label it "this is a fact", I always treat it as something abstract. If the person wants a deeper connection with me, then I will listen to the reasoning behind the comment. This is still treated as something abstract. If the person wants me to act, then I need to see something concrete.

This is the process I use:
1.Abstract - opinion, belief, claim, feeling, or conclusion
2.Abstract - reasoning
3.Concrete - evidence, examples, or demonstration

But I don't go through all the stages. Most relationships are built at the abstract level. If a statement doesn't resonate with me, it will take some real polite language and the ability to "play it by ear" to get me to listen further than number 1.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Easy peasy. Democrat, progressive, left leaning - I will look and listen closely and with interest. If what they are talking about makes sense and aligns with my own life, values and interests, I will act.

GOP, Moderate (Can't think of one who qualifies. Most are dead.) - I will listen. Any other kind - I dismiss.
Thinkers, Writers, Academics (other than from Fox and other GOP aligned institutions) - I will listen/read their works.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:35 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And were they open to critical review of catholicism?
...snark aside, that's your question?....of course they did, you obviously have never been 'schooled' by a Jesuit or you would know that answer...

Old 01-08-2022, 11:45 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:

My "process" is to first understand that those that hold differing views, opinions, and preferences as to how things should be, are not "embracing falsehood".
Second ...I understand that there is ultimately no such thing as Absolute Objective Truth...as nothing is infallible.
Very little that actually matters can be placed so high on The Scale of Probability that everything rests upon, to be determined As Surely True As Can Be.
For 99.999% of human history we had very little of this knowledge...and we survived. Without all the environment wrecking & climate changing we now have. And THAT'S the truth.
As we can see...this thread is very much a political statement, with stuff like, "How important it truly is to separate the facts from the nonsense, or we end up with people believing, pursuing and insisting on a dangerous battle with windmills that affects all of us. Brings us all down."
BTW...electricity generating windmills do produce EMFs that have been found to cause cancer. And then posting pictures of the water-pump windmills in The Netherlands, with a caption under them "Causes Cancer", is what's indicative of "nonsense to pursue a misguided agenda".
Your bias & hate toward others that have differing Beliefs & preferences from you is showing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality