Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 701 times

Advertisements

I am a college student working on a paper engaging with the perspectives of adherents of other religions on the New Testament. If you are willing, read the follow excerpt and answer the questions below with a few sentences each.

Mark 10:17-31 (New English Translation): “10:17 Now as Jesus was starting out on his way, someone ran up to him, fell on his knees, and said, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 10:18 Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 10:19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.’” 10:20 The man said to him, “Teacher, I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws since my youth.” 10:21 As Jesus looked at him, he felt love for him and said, “You lack one thing. Go, sell whatever you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 10:22 But at this statement, the man looked sad and went away sorrowful, for he was very rich.

10:23 Then Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” 10:24 The disciples were astonished at these words. But again Jesus said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” 10:26 They were even more astonished and said to one another, “Then who can be saved?” 10:27 Jesus looked at them and replied, “This is impossible for mere humans, but not for God; all things are possible for God.”

10:28 Peter began to speak to him, “Look, we have left everything to follow you!” 10:29 Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, there is no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of the gospel 10:30 who will not receive in this age a hundred times as much—homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, fields, all with persecutions —and in the age to come, eternal life. 10:31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

What do you think the author of this passage is saying about God?
What do you think the author of this passage is saying about people?
What do you think is the response intended by the author of this story?
Who do you know who you think would like to hear this story?

Disclaimer: I am not attempting to proselytize, just attempting to gather perspectives for an assignment. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 05:12 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
You'd probably get more responses in the Christianity subforum. Many here aren't interested in the Bible.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:19 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Cahill View Post
I am a college student working on a paper engaging with the perspectives of adherents of other religions on the New Testament. If you are willing, read the follow excerpt and answer the questions below with a few sentences each.

Mark 10:17-31 (New English Translation): “10:17 Now as Jesus was starting out on his way, someone ran up to him, fell on his knees, and said, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 10:18 Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 10:19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.’” 10:20 The man said to him, “Teacher, I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws since my youth.” 10:21 As Jesus looked at him, he felt love for him and said, “You lack one thing. Go, sell whatever you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 10:22 But at this statement, the man looked sad and went away sorrowful, for he was very rich.

10:23 Then Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” 10:24 The disciples were astonished at these words. But again Jesus said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” 10:26 They were even more astonished and said to one another, “Then who can be saved?” 10:27 Jesus looked at them and replied, “This is impossible for mere humans, but not for God; all things are possible for God.”

10:28 Peter began to speak to him, “Look, we have left everything to follow you!” 10:29 Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, there is no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of the gospel 10:30 who will not receive in this age a hundred times as much—homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, fields, all with persecutions —and in the age to come, eternal life. 10:31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

Disclaimer: I am not attempting to proselytize, just attempting to gather perspectives for an assignment. Thank you.
I think, at least at this point, I'll leave this to the christians, although I reserve the right to change my mind. However, I do compliment you on this -- a rare post that wants to discuss principles.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:29 PM

1,480 posts, read 480,102 times
If you can't see anything past yourself, how would you expect to see God.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:09 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The wealth that the man made came from the world, and it was giving to the man from the world ........ God never gave the man wealth .... Jesus said, give this wealth away and give to the poor in the eyes of God ....... So God can give the man wealth to give to the poor and the works of God plus riches to get by in the world in His kingdom to follow God instead of the world ....... the man said he lived by the ten commandments is great, but this is not enough as the Ten commandment were given to sinners to first seek out God .................. Then the eye of the camel is like the traders coming into the city with their goods for sale cannot get through the small door of the city with their large camel ... would be a metaphor for proud money people do not need God as they have their wealth to get by so the eye of the camel is the gates to heaven .................... Then the scripture which people must reject their mother sister brother friend nations and leave these to follow Jesus, means these people could be obstacles who could influence to reject Christ, does not mean to literally reject their relative, friend unless they or the nation or other religion forbids it

Old 04-09-2022, 08:05 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times

It tells us that Jesus is not God. This passage has been amended in different manuscripts because this idea was a problem for many Christians.

There are two groups of people here. The first are the audience who are thinking about enjoying this life instead of thinking about their afterlife by becoming Christians. This is the main focus of this Pericope.

The second is found through whole of the gospel of Mark, the clueless disciples. These represent the original Jewish Christians in Jerusalem, because Mark is writing an allegory about Paul's version of gentile friendly Christianity. that is why we have the passage about the first (the first apostles in the Jerusalem church) being last while the last (Paul, the last apostle) being first.

The aim of this Pericope is to get more Christians, and possibly to get the rich to give their money to the church.

Possible the poor, because they have less to give away. I find it interesting that many of the people addressed in Paul's appear to be slaves.

I am an atheist who studies the history of the early Christians church.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:28 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You'd probably get more responses in the Christianity subforum. Many here aren't interested in the Bible.

Many in here know the Bible better than the Christians.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:40 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
10:22 But at this statement, the man looked sad and went away sorrowful, for he was very rich.

And it was said in the Scriptures: where your treasures are, so there are your hearts.
Everyone has his or her treasure, that his or her heart belongs to.

There are four main types of people, based on that, but I do not want to divert the thread from OP.
Treasures are various. To some, it's money. Possession. Power. Fame. Lust. Vanity. And so on. Those "treasures" are so deep inside that, you can be in a cave in Himalayas, escaping women, for example and, yet, they will find you in your dreams, if they are your treasure.

One, who has no treasures to be bound to, one is liberated. But, that is a very old concept of no attachment.

On a side note, it never stops amusing me, how folks believe that they can simply "accept Jesus" and, yet, carry all their luggage into heaven. That is joke of all jokes.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

It tells us that Jesus is not God. This passage has been amended in different manuscripts because this idea was a problem for many Christians.

There are two groups of people here. The first are the audience who are thinking about enjoying this life instead of thinking about their afterlife by becoming Christians. This is the main focus of this Pericope.

The second is found through whole of the gospel of Mark, the clueless disciples. These represent the original Jewish Christians in Jerusalem, because Mark is writing an allegory about Paul's version of gentile friendly Christianity. that is why we have the passage about the first (the first apostles in the Jerusalem church) being last while the last (Paul, the last apostle) being first.

The aim of this Pericope is to get more Christians, and possibly to get the rich to give their money to the church.

Possible the poor, because they have less to give away. I find it interesting that many of the people addressed in Paul's appear to be slaves.

I am an atheist who studies the history of the early Christians church.
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. If you wouldn't mind, would you be able to clarify a couple things? What scholars and sources have you drawn from to form your views on New Testament and Mark in particular? What is your view of the authorship of 'Mark'? Could you expand a little on what you think the response intended by the author of this pericope is? Not looking to debate, just interested in hearing more of your thoughts if you're willing, thanks for your time.

Old 04-09-2022, 04:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Cahill View Post

This is some great metaphorical and allegorical Scripture.
1st...the "camel through the eye of a needle" part.
They always made the entrance through a perimeter wall into a village or fortress (called the "needles eye") very low and small...so potential attacking groups had to come in single file and could not rush it in large numbers quickly, or mounted on horseback.
To get a camel carrying supplies in...they had to remove any mounted cargo and the animal had to lower down to their belly and shuffle in.
So...it represents being "on your knees" and separated (as a priority) from any worldly material goods to "experience lasting paradise" (Heaven).
Also...It explained that it is best to prioritize the instructions of God (for my sake or the gospel), which is to be "righteous" and follow the "rules"...and any sacrifice you may have to make to do that, no matter what it is, will come back to you many (100X) times over. But...there will be suffering (persecutions) too, no matter what.
Some may not be down with this...and prefer to be materialistic, greedy, and self indulgent...they will "go away sad & sorrowful", relatively.

Such greatness of philosophy and ability to convey that through the pinnacle of literary art is amazing. They were truly "inspired". No wonder it's the most epic and prolific Book in human history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality