Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 02:13 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It is not possible for God to order an immoral deed. If God orders something to be done, then that thing must be good. This is simply a definitional necessity.
Quote:
Not really; it's just philosophy. God, if He exists, must be All Good.
Those are the definitions of God that YOU consider necessary for God to qualify to BE God, but there is no evidence or other rationale for assuming it is true of God. No one is required to accept or use YOUR or the Catholic Church's definition of God. Other than the obvious fact that God is our Creator, we have no other objective evidence or information to justify those kinds of attributes. That is why we have only BELIEFS and OPINIONS about God which can NOT be used to impose our BELIEFS or OPINIONS on anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 02:15 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think it's in dispute that it is always wrong to kill babies merely for personal pleasure.

That's why I have a problem with the OT. Too much killing of innocents just because they didn't worship the bible God.
Agreed. I often thought -- when I was still a christian -- that the OT and the NT couldn't possibly be about the same god. Unless he got some good therapy in between.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
They weren't innocent; nor were they killed "just because they didn't worship the bible God".

The ones who may have been innocent were killed as an act of mercy by God's direct order. God alone has the right to give and take life.
Nonsense.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:17 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Those are the definitions of God that YOU consider necessary for God to qualify to BE God, but there is no evidence or other rationale for assuming it is true of God. No one is required to accept or use YOUR or the Catholic Church's definition of God. Other than the obvious fact that God is our Creator, we have no other objective evidence or information to justify those kinds of attributes. That is why we have only BELIEFS and OPINIONS about God which can NOT be used to impose our BELIEFS or OPINIONS on anyone else.
You are welcome to explain why an All Good God doesn't work philosophically.

I have found that it (an All Good God) is the only conclusion that is feasible.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:20 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
They weren't innocent; nor were they killed "just because they didn't worship the bible God".

The ones who may have been innocent were killed as an act of mercy by God's direct order. God alone has the right to give and take life.
I disagree. It's barbaric what is recorded in the OT. What did they do except not worship the bible God?

Old 07-14-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Exactly. That's an example of a moral absolute. We all agree it's wrong. We know that. It's not based on time, or culture, or opinion. It's wrong.

That's completely unrelated to your first statement in response to me. Besides your statement being inaccurate. No innocent person was ever killed by God, with the exception of the Savior.
So none of those women and children who were slaughtered by the Israelites in the OT were innocent? Give me a break. Sad that people defend such abhorrent behavior. From God no less.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No that is simply your belief that God is moral and that everything he does is good. Which is why believers in the Bible bend over backwards changing the words used forvslavery and human chattel ownership to infentured servant.

Those ofbus tha do not believe in the Bible can jydge acts and orders to see if they are immoral or moral. My moraliry does not come from a God who according to the Bible does moral and immoral stuff.
Indeed.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's called Federal Headship. In Adam all sinned. They were guilty of Adam's sin.

The Creator who spoke the universe into existence can do what he wants with his creation. You think that's immoral or wrong? Ok. So be it. You're entitled to your OPINION. That and $2 might buy me a cup of coffee at Casey's tomorrow morning.

Romans 9:14-18

"What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills."
And you wonder why there are ex-believers out there.

Thank goodness everything posted on this forum is opinion. I'd hate to think an actual God who is being defended for killing innocents really exists.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And you wonder why there are ex-believers out there.

Thank goodness everything posted on this forum is opinion. I'd hate to think an actual God who is being defended for killing innocents really exists.
There are ex-believers out here because of people exactly like Baptist Fundie.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are ex-believers out here because of people exactly like Baptist Fundie.
I do have to wonder how many people are reached by those who insist on assertions of hell, punishment for homosexuals, a God who kills innocent women, children and animals, etc.

I remember when I was a Christian. I had a lot of fear. Much of what I read, especially in the OT just didn't sit well with me. It reminds me of when kids ask their parent why they have to do thus and so, and the parent says, because I say so. Sorry, that ain't an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality