Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2022, 04:03 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Look for the button at the top of the post edit window that says "Wrap [ QUOTE ] tags around selected text." Highlight the part of the quoted post you want to appear as a separate quote and then click on that button.
That button just wraps something in a naked quote -- if you want to make it plain what post the quote came from you still have to copy the initial quote tag with the name of the poster and the post # (quote tag, equal sign, poster name, semicolon, post identifier).

It would be nice if there were a facility for inserting your own replies at any cursor position in the original quote you're replying to without having to copy and paste all over the place, effectively splitting the original quote as many times as you wish. (Not that this is something you can respond to as a moderator -- it's just how the forum software works).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 10:24 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Just because you've tried so hard to be blind to Jesus - and obviously succeeded - doesn't mean you're going to pull us down to that level, and dumb ourselves down as well.

Avoid sensing his presence: nothing will become obvious.

Make attempts to sense his presence: he will usually make himself obvious and known.

This is so vivid and clear OP, that missing it shows how strong your delusion is. You're blind to God, blind to others, and blind to yourself. Congratulations on stumbling around in broad daylight.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:43 AM

17,812 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just because you've tried so hard to be blind to Jesus - and obviously succeeded - doesn't mean you're going to pull us down to that level, and dumb ourselves down as well.

Make attempts to sense his presence: he will usually make himself obvious and known.

This is so vivid and clear OP, that missing it shows how strong your delusion is. You're blind to God, blind to others, and blind to yourself. Congratulations on stumbling around in broad daylight.
We all live in our own heads. If you want to believe you can "sense" Jesus...then ok, you can "sense" Jesus.

That has nothing to do with the evidence of his existing, nor the actual state of his existence as a man or a man-God.

But sensing Jesus is cool with me. Nobody is asking you to be "pulled down" or "dumbed down" to our level.

That level being that rational thought and evidence is a higher priority than mystical things and the thoughts and feelings associated with them.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:13 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:

You have the opposite delusion.

So I'm going to simplify this for all you religionists:

You are free to believe anything you want.

But you're sort of like the door to door vacuum cleaner salesman of yesteryear. You've tried, but you've failed to sell us on your belief. NO SALE...you failed (at least thus far).

Old 10-11-2022, 12:58 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:

Why would anyone want to waste their time praying to a myth, Thoreau? Jesus is a myth, you know. I proved it in Post #1 but I will provide even more proof for you right now. Prepare to be astonished:

I said in OP that there were 22 traits that define the mythical gods to one extent or another. Jesus of the gospels shows 18 of these traits, most identical to other mythical gods.

Here are the 22 traits. You will readily notice nearly all of them in the story of Jesus as it appears in the gospels:

1. Mother is a royal virgin (Jesus' mother Mary was a descendant of David)
  2. Father is a king
  3. Father often a near relative to mother (Joseph was 2nd cousin to Mary)
  4. Unusual conception (Jesus' mother, Mary impregnated by the Holy Spirit)
  5. Hero reputed to be son of god (Jesus was the son of God)
  6. Attempt to kill hero as an infant, often by father or maternal grandfather (Herod tried to kill Jesus when he was a baby)
  7. Hero spirited away as a child (Jesus, Mary and Joseph flee to Egypt)
  8. Reared by foster parents in a far country (Jesus reared in Egypt until Herod dies)
  9. No details of childhood (Jesus' childhood is a complete blank)
  10. Returns or goes to future kingdom (Jesus goes to temple and proclaims himself fulfillment of Isaiah prophecy)
  11. Is victor over king, giant, dragon or wild beast (Jesus defeats Satan)
  12. Marries a princess (often daughter of predecessor)
  13. Becomes king (“This is Jesus, King of the Jewsâ€)
  14. For a time he reigns uneventfully
  15. He prescribes laws (Jesus' teachings on how one should live)
  16. Later loses favor with gods or his subjects (Jews deliver Jesus up to be crucified)
  17. Driven from throne and city
  18. Meets with mysterious death (Jesus, declared by Pilate to be innocent, is still crucified)
  19. Often at the top of a hill (Jesus on Golgatha)
  20. His children, if any, do not succeedhim
  21. His body is not buried (Jesus not thrown in a pit as per custom)
  22. Has one or more holy sepulchers or tombs (Jesus buried in Joseph of Arimathea's tomb)
Here they are, one by one:

Mother is a royal virgin descended from royalty

*Jesus' mother, virgin Mary was descended from royalty--ancestor king David
*Hercules' mother, virgin Alcmene was descended from royalty--ancestor King Perseus
*Romulus' mother, virgin Rhea Silvia was descended from royalty--ancestor King Aeneas

Unusual conception

*Jesus' mother, Mary impregnated by the Holy Spirit
*Hercules' mother, Alcmeme impregnated by god, Zeus
*Romulus' mother, Rhea Silvia impregnated by god, Mars
*Horus, mother, Isis impregnated by god, Osiris
*Attis' mother, Nana impregnated by an almond resting on her bosom

Hero reputed to be son of god

*Jesus the son of Christian god, Yahweh
*Dionysus the son of Greek god, Zeus
*Attis the son of river god, Sangarius
*Hercules son of Greek god, Zeus
*Romulus son of Roman god, Mars

I will cover the other 19 traits in subsequent posts since this is labor-intensive research. But notice I've only covered three of the 22 and already I have 10 matches to Jesus. How many matches will I have when I've covered all 22??

A person would have to have rocks in their head not to see the match between Jesus and earlier pagan men-god myths, Thoreau.

Clearly, the gospel writers stole these traits from earlier pagan gods and wove them into the Jesus myth.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-11-2022 at 01:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 01:01 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Why would anyone want to waste their time praying to a myth, Thoreau? Jesus is a myth, you know. I proved it in Post #1 but I will provide even more proof for you right now. Prepare to be astonished:

I said in OP that there were 22 traits that define the mythical gods to one extent or another. Jesus of the gospels shows 18 of these traits, most identical to other mythical gods.

While I agree that the god thing is a myth, you only proved it to yourself, not Thoreau.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While I agree that the god thing is a myth, you only proved it to yourself, not Thoreau.

You can't prove anything to Thoreau. Why bother me with this?

Old 10-11-2022, 02:18 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
I find this thread to be hilarious. Agreeing or disagreeing isn't the point. It's the assuredness of the blind and unenlightened OP - running down the street seeking attention and support - where the humor of the self-deception resides.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424;6427419
I find this thread to be hilarious. Agreeing or disagreeing isn't the point. It's the assuredness of the blind and unenlightened OP - running down the street seeking attention and support - where the humor of the self-deception resides.

Your hilarity is of no consequence to this subject, Thoreau. Your only contributions to this topic is insults and put-downs--nothing that furthers the discussion, presumably because you HAVE nothing to further the discussion and you know it. And that is not your fault, Thoreau I freely admit because there IS nothing you can offer to defend Jesus. When I said, "Atheists have the truth, Christians do not" what I meant was that atheists have mountains of evidence that Jesus is a myth. Christians have nothing of substance to show the Jesus of the gospels was a real person. When a Christian such as yourself has nothing to show that the Jesus of the gospels was real--except for this warm fuzzy feeling of ecstasy you get in your heart when you whisper his name over and over--which in some crazy way is proof to you that Jesus is real, don't ask me to figure that one out--all that's left for you is name-calling. Don't think readers don't notice this. They notice, believe me.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-11-2022 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 03:30 PM

10,486 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Do you know how I know Jesus is real? When I accepted him, the Holy Spirit entered my body. It's a very personal feeling and memory that never leaves you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality