Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2022, 03:58 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I have always believed in God, on some level, as this world is too perfect to have come into existence without a Creator. My justification, you might ask? - What other planet even remotely resembles ours?
Which is also a problem for your god, that a perfect god just existed. How convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 07:26 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'd be happy to answer, Miss Hepburn. The Christians have been lying to people about Jesus since he was invented. And they have fooled billions and billions of people over the millennia to believe he was real when in fact even their own church hierarchy has been in on the scam since at least the 13th century, Look at what Pope Boniface VIII said about Jesus:

“The sums of money which the fable of Christ has produced the priests are incalculable.” [SIZE=2](c.1290)[/SIZE]

In 1514, Pope Leo X, at a lavish Good Friday banquet, in the Vatican, in the company of seven intimates, Leo X famously stated the following as he raised his toast glass to the air: [1]

“How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us and our predecessors.”

The pope's pronouncement, since characterized as the “most infamous and damaging statement about Christianity in the history of the Church”, was recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (De Vita Leonis Decimi..., op. cit.), two associates who were witnesses to it.

https://www.eoht.info/page/Christ%20fable

Now if the Popes are in on the Jesus fable, yet they're telling the common folks Jesus was real, doesn't that bother you in the least? And if it bothered you wouldn't you want to try to get the truth out to the hapless people being fed these lies when the Church's inner hierarchy has been in the scam from the start?

That's why I make these threads. I cannot stand the hypocrisy of the church leaders, most of whom are probably closet atheists anyway and are in the Christian racket solely for the job security.
What a dumb post. The alleged and infamous "fable of Christ" statement by Pope Leo X has long since been debunked.

Your desperation is reaching pathetic levels at this point, thrill.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No. It's "he said, she said". Where there's smoke, there's fire. Given how corrupt many of the Popes were I don't doubt for a second they believed Jesus was a fable to be used and sold as a means of attaining earthly pleasures. Read about the corrupt popes the church has had:
It is possible for religious leaders to be lacking in faith and virtue. A Pope's alleged lack of faith/virtue has no relevance as to whether or not the Gospel accounts are true.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:38 AM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It is possible for religious leaders to be lacking in faith and virtue. A Pope's alleged lack of faith/virtue has no relevance as to whether or not the Gospel accounts are true.
I always thought the Pope Leo quote was like a badly-written villain's dialog, but often the banality of evil is like that. At any rate I have never used it as a data point, because regardless of how debatable it is, the perfidy of religious leadership is pervasive enough in general that the particulars almost don't matter.

You are correct of course that such unvirtuous behaviors don't speak to the veracity of the Gospel accounts or whether Jesus was an actual person, but I don't think that is Thrill's claim, either. His point seems to be that all we have to show for it all is a non-trivially corrupt and oppressive structure that isn't exactly covering itself in glory. He's flirting with ad hominems and drifting off-topic for his OP but he does have something of a point.

In response to this you can fall back on minimization of the above-stated problems or the notion that god is just working with imperfect people and that's fine ... just doesn't float my boat anymore. If Christian leadership can't usually acquit itself better than secular leadership then what is the point.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
The Catholic church has made others aware by putting Mark 16:9-20 in [brackets] and adding several footnotes and commentaries in ALL of their published Bibles regarding this passage. So, I would not be so confident to say that "Very few Christians are aware..."

It does seem apparent that perhaps YOU aren't aware of how many older manuscripts actually include these verses.

Here's an accurate analysis for your reading:

https://www.thetextofthegospels.com/...0the%20passage.

Once again, look at the link above. It's only about a 5 minute read.

Most apologists worth their salt won't conclude that Mark 16:9-20 was lost. They will say that it's a possibility that it was lost when some copies were made. In fact, in the footnotes in my Catholic Bible on Mark 16: 1-8 it says (in part), "This abrupt termination causes some to believe that the original ending of the gospel may have been lost." (emphasis added by me)

Maybe Mark ran out of papyrus before he could finish...maybe he handed it off to someone else who told him, "I'll finish it for ya!"...

In my Bible's introduction to Mark it states, "...Jesus goes before the disciples into Galilee;"there you will see him." These words may imply resurrection appearances there, OR Jesus' parousia there, OR the start of Christian mission, OR a return to the roots depicted in 1:9, 14-15 in Galilee. Other hands have attached additional endings after 16:8..." (emphasis added)

Ever hear of the Freer Logion, thrill?

I'll get into other possibilities in a moment...

OR, it could be NONE of what you (laughably) describe.

Again, from the footnotes on Mark 16:9-20: "Early citations of it by the Fathers indicate that it was composed by the second century, although vocabulary and style indicate that it was written by someone other than Mark." (emphasis added by me)
It? There is the short, the long, the very long, and the Bobiensis endings. The content in the long ending contains text from the other gospels and Acts, so I agree it was written by someone else.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yeah, right. A myth seen in-person by thousands, over several years, across a regional area, with those then spreading word of who they saw. Yep, sounds like a myth alright. Might as well say our next door neighbors are myths, those down the street, people at work, etc. Hey, we're all myths!
A myth seen in-person by thousands, over several years, across a regional area, with those then spreading word of who they saw, according to the later, fictional gospels.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If Christian leadership can't usually acquit itself better than secular leadership then what is the point.
Very good point!

Old 10-13-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Of course, every plant has been uniquely created by God. Ours, of course, is quite unique, as we have yet to find evidence of life outside of Earth.

We have created and found explanations to answer why certain things occur. That does not mean we have found every answer, however, because there may be questions that we do not know exist... As we have no definitive answer to some of life's most basic questions, it is foolish to dismiss the possibility of a Creator.
No, it is foolish to assert a creator, as a creator raises more questions than it answers. Such as how it knows things, how does it store it's knowledge, and how do you know the answers to questions like these.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:15 AM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Just as a religious leader's belief in faith and virtue has no relevance as to whether or not the Gospel accounts are true.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just as a religious leader's belief in faith and virtue has no relevance as to whether or not the Gospel accounts are true.
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality