Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 04:41 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
But you still haven't explained it. Curiously, no Christian has wanted to touch this question.
...nah, you're just an insufferable one trick pony who's rantings i won't spend any energy engaging....

...carry on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 06:23 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...nah, you're just an insufferable one trick pony who's rantings i won't spend any energy engaging....

...carry on...

Oh, I will. I will. You can bet on it.

Interestingly, you Christians--Thoreau is especially notorious for this--ALWAYS give the same response: "Oh NO WAY! You don't sucker me into some ridiculous exchange with you. Just keep repeating your one-trick pony." I mean you might as well be saying, "You're never going to get me to admit that I haven't got spit to offer as evidence Jesus was real. So what? I choose to believe in him without any evidence anyway."

Well, okay. Go ahead. If you get comfort out of following a myth then go right ahead. But tens of millions of Americans are choosing every year to take the exit off that freeway that leads to a giant cliff. I'll certainly throw you a rope if I happen to be walking by.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:24 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Well, thank you for that, Mordant. But I gotta ask ya...what would be the motivation for the individual to make stuff up?
Mark writes an allegory of Paul's teachings, inventing a historical Jesus. He was not deliberately lying, that is what people did 2000 years ago. Then Mathew does not like the gentile friendly text that Mark wrote, so he invents his own version for political / theological reasons. Luke wants to present a united front, so he invents his own version. John disagrees with Luke and the others, so he invents his version.

Other Christians say the gospels are myth, so others invent letters quoting the gospels as if those letters had been written by the disciples and apostles.

These are just educated guesses based on what the different texts say, but the fact that there are over 40 gospels spread over the centuries is evidence people invented texts, regardless of the reasons why they did this.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:35 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
It's all in the translation, Harry.
I think you are forgetting you have the translation, not me.

I have my Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550.

Or Codex Sinaiticus itself.

https://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manus...7&zoomSlider=0

Old 11-05-2022, 10:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Still waiting.

OP has nothing. Oh, sure....we've seen silly arguments whining "why didn't he do it the way I demand it??????" But where's the PROOF?

Ladies, find yourself a man that loves you like Thrill hates Jesus.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Still waiting.

OP has nothing. Oh, sure....we've seen silly arguments whining "why didn't he do it the way I demand it??????" But where's the PROOF?

Ladies, find yourself a man that loves you like Thrill hates Jesus.

I don't hate Jesus, BF. You can't hate someone who wasn't real.

But like I always say, when a Christian has nothing to offer in defense of Jesus' existence, the only thing left to offer is hot air...and that's exactly what we see in BF's post above--HOT AIR. Readers, do you see a single thing in BF's post above in the way of "This proves Jesus was real...."?

Of course you don't, because there isn't anything a Christian can offer to prove Jesus was real. Oh, wait a second, I forgot.......This one: "I know Jesus is real because he became real to me when I accepted him as my Lord and savior and he lives in my heart today."

But I have books and books of proof Jesus never walked the earth. Oh, he may have been some cosmic archangel or something paranormal like Paul believes Jesus was, I don't deny that. I mean don't forget the apostles and Paul had to have seen something on Easter Sunday and on the road to Damascus, right?

But history doesn't lie even if Christians do, BaptistFundie, remember that.

There has not being a single credible secular historian in the first 200 years of CE who mentions the name, "Jesus Christ" or "Jesus of Nazareth" or "Jesus son of Joseph". That's quite a feat--to be the most famous "person" who ever lived and yet not be mentioned by a single historian. Only God could pull that one off, right? Wrong. Only a Roman emperor could pull that one off. Coincidentally, there WAS such an emperor. His name was Constantine. He lived in 325 CE--a full three hundred years after Jesus supposedly lived.

But don't forget the incredible point similarities Jesus shares with other mythical men gods who came before him--gods like

Oedipus (21 or 22 points), Theseus (20 points), Romulus (18 points), Heracles (17 points), Perseus (18 points), Jason (15 points), Bellerophon (16 points), Pelops (13 points), Dionysos (19 points), Apollo (11 points), Zeus (15 points), Joseph (12 points), Moses (20 points), and Elijah (9 points).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rank%E...glan_mythotype

And there's plenty more proof Jesus never lived which I will detail in Part 2 of this thread. One sample:

Jesus' remarkable similarities to the life of Joseph, son of Jacob in the Old Testament:

1. Joseph is the object of his father’s special love.
  2. He had promises of divine exaltation.
  3. He was mocked by his family.
  4. He was sold for pieces of silver.
  5. He was stripped of his robe.
  6. He was delivered up to the Gentiles.
  7. He was falsely accused.
  8. He was faithful amid temptation.
  9. He was thrown into prison.
  10. He stood before rulers.
  11. His power was acknowledged by those in authority.
  12. He saves his rebellious brothers from death when they realize who he is.
  13. He is exalted after and through humiliation.
  14. He embraces God’s purpose even though it brings him intense physical harm.
  15. He is the instrument God uses at the hands of the Gentiles to bless his people.
  16. He welcomes Gentiles to be part of his family.
  17. He gives hungry people bread.
  18. People must bow their knee before him.
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b...-joseph-jesus/

And against all of this, remember that the ONLY historical proof Christians have that Jesus was real is

"He lives in my heart. That's how I know he is real."

You're level-headed logical people, folks. Try to keep all this in mind when you attempt to make the determination if Jesus was real or not.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-05-2022 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-06-2022, 06:14 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:

But like I always say, when a Christian has nothing to offer in defense of Jesus' existence, the only thing left to offer is hot air...and that's exactly what we see in BF's post above--HOT AIR. Readers, do you see a single thing in BF's post above in the way of "This proves Jesus was real...."?

Of course you don't, because there isn't anything a Christian can offer to prove Jesus was real. Oh, wait a second, I forgot.......This one: "I know Jesus is real because he became real to me when I accepted him as my Lord and savior and he lives in my heart today."

But I have books and books of proof Jesus never walked the earth. Oh, he may have been some cosmic archangel or something paranormal like Paul believes Jesus was, I don't deny that. I mean don't forget the apostles and Paul had to have seen something on Easter Sunday and on the road to Damascus, right?

There has not being a single credible secular historian in the first 200 years of CE who mentions the name, "Jesus Christ" or "Jesus of Nazareth" or "Jesus son of Joseph". That's quite a feat--to be the most famous "person" who ever lived and yet not be mentioned by a single historian. Only God could pull that one off, right? Wrong. Only a Roman emperor could pull that one off. Coincidentally, there WAS such an emperor. His name was Constantine. He lived in 325 CE--a full three hundred years after Jesus supposedly lived.

But don't forget the incredible point similarities Jesus shares with other mythical men gods who came before him--gods like

Oedipus (21 or 22 points), Theseus (20 points), Romulus (18 points), Heracles (17 points), Perseus (18 points), Jason (15 points), Bellerophon (16 points), Pelops (13 points), Dionysos (19 points), Apollo (11 points), Zeus (15 points), Joseph (12 points), Moses (20 points), and Elijah (9 points).

And there's plenty more proof Jesus never lived which I will detail in Part 2 of this thread. One sample:

Jesus' remarkable similarities to the life of Joseph, son of Jacob in the Old Testament:

15. He is the instrument God uses at the hands of the Gentiles to bless his people.

And against all of this, remember that the ONLY historical proof Christians have that Jesus was real is

You're level-headed logical people, folks. Try to keep all this in mind when you attempt to make the determination if Jesus was real or not.
God (the Father) , has not appeared on earth since the New Testament. (where his appearance was limited to a couple of times, unlike the Old Testament)
Do we need a modern day appearance of God, or Jesus, to convince the skeptics?
It’s a bit hard to have good historical records, with Stone Age scribes and equipment.
Which is why most Christians today will call on their own spiritual conversion, as proof.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
God (the Father) , has not appeared on earth since the New Testament. (where his appearance was limited to a couple of times, unlike the Old Testament)
Do we need a modern day appearance of God, or Jesus, to convince the skeptics?
It’s a bit hard to have good historical records, with Stone Age scribes and equipment.
Which is why most Christians today will call on their own spiritual conversion, as proof.

Derek, it's fine for Christians to call on their own spiritual conversion as proof Jesus is real as long as people remember that more than a billion Hindus call on their spiritual conversion as proof Vishnu is real and 2 billion Muslims call on their own spiritual conversion as proof that Allah is real. Same with Buddhists and pagans, right? All these people have spiritual experiences with their gods and Christians are no different. Christians insist Jesus is the only way to heaven and Muslims insist Allah is the only way to paradise so who's right?

Old 11-07-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I have my Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550.

https://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manus...7&zoomSlider=0

1550. That ought be really reliable for getting to the truth, right?

Old 11-07-2022, 11:35 AM

344 posts, read 144,370 times
Quote:

Wisdom is always justified by it's children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality