Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2022, 12:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. I'm not going to watch a 45 minute youtube video full of the same nonsensical arguments. You claimed to have "proof", so prove it. At this point, you're showing your true colors. You make wild, crazy, unsubstantiated claims and fail to back them up. And once again, you're doing it.

Well, Baptist, do you think for a second I ever expected you to watch this video?????????

You're so entrenched and invested in the Christian faith that nothing....but NOTHING could dissuade you from believing it's all real. I accept that. But in this entire thread of close to 700 responses have you ever offered even a modicum of proof Jesus is real other than, "He lives in my heart. That's how I know Jesus is real"?

I asked, "Would a God who wanted people to believe Jesus was real then turn around and yank Jesus out of the earth and not leave behind a single credible SECULAR historical mention of Jesus, especially from the most famous Jewish historian of the time, Philo of Alexandria who was in Jerusalem during the time Jesus preached there and was crucified and all the zombie saints of Old Testament rose out of their graves with ragged rotted shrouds dragging behind them as they invaded Jerusalem and appeared to thousands of people? How is it Philo was in Jerusalem when all this went down and yet didn't mention a single word about Jesus or these extraordinary happenings?

You said nothing about this, presumably because you couldn't deny it.

Then I asked, "Why are there no secular historians in the entire first century who make a single CREDIBLE mention of the name "Jesus Christ"?

Again, you said nothing, presumably because you have no way to deny it. It's the truth. It's a fact.

Then I pointed out how Jesus' life as found in the gospels mimics almost exactly the lives of about a dozen earlier mythical gods like Perseus, Heracles, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna, Romulus, Attis, Mithra, Zalmoxis, Oedipus, as well as Moses and Elijah.

Again, you offered nothing to defend Jesus, presumably because you know that the lives of these gods taken together offer exactly the same landmarks found in Jesus' life, as if the gospel writers were drawing from accounts of all these god's lives to construct their own mythical accounts of Jesus.

You never offered anything of credible value to defend Jesus other than insults and mocking of me--which is the only thing you have when there's no evidence to present to defend Jesus was real. Of course you can always throw out, "I know Jesus is real because he lives in my heart."

That works.....with other Christians who are as fanatical about Jesus as you are, I'm sure. But not so well with people outside your little bubble though.

So do you have a single iota of secular proof Jesus was real to offer us, BF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 12:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Maybe
blah blah blah...

And at the end you say "But you haven't given any proof he was REAL!!!!"

That's bait and switch. You promised proof 70 pages ago that he wasn't. So you lied.
All you've done is floated the same silly claims that MIGHT show reasons for some skeptics to doubt. But no actually proof. You have shown nothing.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
blah blah blah...

And at the end you say "But you haven't given any proof he was REAL!!!!"

That's bait and switch. You promised proof 70 pages ago that he wasn't. So you lied.
All you've done is floated the same silly claims that MIGHT show reasons for some skeptics to doubt. But no actually proof. You have shown nothing.

BF, watch my lips:

Do you have a single iota of secular proof Jesus was real to offer us, BF?

Old 11-11-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Over a month at it, and 70 pages into this goof-quest, and the OP still hasn't proven squat. That's the most hilarious aspect here.

You could be obsessed with the concept that hamsters can fly, and repeat that to yourself every day till you are convinced of that, but arguing for that doesn't prove anything either.

The restless and endless obsession of the OP is the only message proven here. And for that, this sure is a chuckle-a-thon!

Thoreau:

Do you have a single iota of secular proof Jesus was real to offer us?

Old 11-11-2022, 01:16 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Thoreau:

That's a fair question....but it still doesn't absolve you of overpromising something you couldn't deliver.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's a fair question....but it still doesn't absolve you of overpromising something you couldn't deliver.

Fair point. The argument can be made that there is absolutely no amount of evidence I could offer that could prove on a secular level that Jesus of the gospels wasn't real. (we're always talking about "Jesus of the gospels", not a possible historic figure upon which the Jesus of the gospels was based). Another argument can be made that an overwhelming consensus of historic facts could convince the average non-biased person who listened to both sides without bias that Jesus never existed. Another argument can be made that a preponderance of evidence demonstrates Jesus never lived. Lots of ways to cut the pie.

I operate on the premise that I could present condensations of about 20 prominent volumes:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...esus_Mythicism

and that would pretty much demonstrate convincingly that the gospels Jesus never existed.

Christians could never be convinced of course because they have skin in the game. Even some atheists like yourself could never be convinced.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:

BF, watch my lips:

Do you have a single iota of secular proof Jesus was real to offer us, BF?

Quote:

Thoreau:

--crickets--

LOL. Christians are all mouth.....until you ask them to put up a little secular evidence for their god.

Then they scatter.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:24 PM

One of the things about early Christianity that has always confounded me that one of their most revered church fathers actually comes out and admits that the gospel writers copied the lives of other pagan gods when they constructed their own tales of the Christ. Justin Martyr writes this to pagan emperor Antoninus Pius

“And when we say also that the Word, who is the first-birth of God, was produced without sexual union, and that He, Jesus Christ, our Teacher, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter."

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/919...he-word-who-is

I don't know if you caught that, but Justin Martyr admits that everything propounded by Jesus was taken from the tales of the sons of Jupiter. Embarrassingly, apologists make no attempts to cover up this admission. What excuse could they offer?

And then further down Justin Martyr says:

"All reckon it an honourable thing to imitate the gods."

Well, that's exactly what the gospel writers are doing, as Justin Martyr admits: imitating the pagan gods.

Now I ask you in all candor:

Would the church fathers of the 2nd and 3rd centuries have had to copy the lives of pagan gods to make their Jesus avatar believable if the Christian god had left behind credible proof His divine son existed?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-11-2022 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2022, 11:50 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
So do you have a single iota of secular proof Jesus was real to offer us, BF?
The problem is your use of the word 'proof'.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The problem is your use of the word 'proof'.

It appears so. Christians and even phetaroi don't like the word, "proof" and he's supposedly an atheist. But check the wiktionary for "proof" and the first synonyms that shows up is "evidence". So should I use evidence instead? Let's try "evidence". But Thoreau and BaptistFundie won't reply to that either because they painted themselves into a corner--they haven't got squat to prove on a secular level that their Jesus avatar was real. They keep forgetting that "secular" is the only one scholars care about. I could also use "authentication" "verification" "corroboration" "validation" " attestation" and a few others but it wouldn't make a bit of difference to Thoreau or Baptist. But it's worth a try, I suppose:

BaptistFundie:

Do you have a single iota of secular evidence Jesus was real to offer us?

Thoreau

Do you have a single iota of secular evidence Jesus was real to offer us?

You all watch. I'll wait until the 2nd Coming to get a response. Why? Because they have no secular evidence Jesus existed and they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality