Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2022, 08:36 AM

22,850 posts, read 19,468,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
who specifically do you think is arguing for their beliefs? Other than Christian missionaries no other religion proselytize. The fact that people come here to explore religious and spiritual matter does not mean they are addressing you. It is a conversation among themselves who share an interest. Are you not fighting with your own shadow?
the contentious mindset seeks to argue.
rather than explore or discuss in conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 08:50 AM

51,385 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Exactly!

How do you define a miracle? And most importantly how would you verify that it was done by God who science does not recognize and you don’t believe in?
A miracle that everyone in the world can see. How about the all-powerful god simply appears to everyone on earth at the same time.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
who specifically do you think is arguing for their beliefs? Other than Christian missionaries no other religion proselytize. The fact that people come here to explore religious and spiritual matter does not mean they are addressing you. It is a conversation among themselves who share an interest. Are you not fighting with your own shadow?
But the interest is in the topic, not necessarily believing in the being.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:07 AM

412 posts, read 140,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I think it is an out-of-sight, out-of-mind sort of thing going on. I see this same sort of behavior with the hell concept. Some posters will become irate every time the topic comes up. I often want to ask what you have done that is so bad that you cannot bear the topic to be discussed.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:39 AM

16,884 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Quote:
Ironically NOT discussing the points I made. But then you never do. Remember, aim at the enemy, not your own feet.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 12-26-2022 at 09:53 AM..

Old 12-26-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
who specifically do you think is arguing for their beliefs? Other than Christian missionaries no other religion proselytize. The fact that people come here to explore religious and spiritual matter does not mean they are addressing you. It is a conversation among themselves who share an interest.
Really? Have you not read the many posts here where many of the religious tell us their religion is correct, and that other people are wrong / stupid / lazy? Most religious people come here to lecture (or to start fights ), not to explore their beliefs.

Quote:
Are you not fighting with your own shadow?
No, I am responding to the arguments in the posts by the religious, who want to tell us their 'truths'.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:55 AM

16,123 posts, read 6,453,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Exactly!

How do you define a miracle? And most importantly how would you verify that it was done by God who science does not recognize and you don’t believe in?
The Bible tells us the proof of His existence will be in His followers. If every Christain behaved like Geekie I would have to agree God existed. I know you are Muslim but I am assuming since it's an Abrahamic religion you have a similar charge on you. I see people who behave as exemplars but they don't all belong to the same faith or any faith. If people don't believe what you tell them take a look at yourself. Are you giving them a reason to listen to you or are you using loaded language to passive aggressive your way through a message board?

Christianity: The religion of love?
Islam: The religion of peace?

How about you talk to your fellow believers and figure out a way to get on the same page so you no longer shame God?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

Old 12-26-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
How about ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
You will never know either and for the same reason as all who don't believe.
... because some people are ...

Quote:

Old 12-27-2022, 12:40 PM

427 posts, read 131,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the concept of "spiritual but not religious" generally is theist in nature. It is not rejecting both god and religion, but just organized religion. I think it is an incoherent position frankly, but most of the people here who decry organized religion as still of the general Christian persuasion. They might believe in universal reconciliation, for example, but their general line seems to be that organized religion has sucked the spiritual vitality out of the individuals involved with it. That the only path to a "true" "primitive" (meaning, original) Christianity is to shuck all the artifice and ritual and tradition and mine the scriptures with the magic light of the holy spirit.

You are correct that the definition will vary, though. It certainly CAN be agnostic or even atheist while embracing various supernatural or mystical beliefs. But it seems to me that most here who decry organized religion happen to be disgruntled Christians who still believe broadly in Christian theology.

Christian theology can be anything we want it to be. Every denomination has its own Christian theology.

Organized religion may not necessarily be a bad thing. Back in the frontier days of America, pilgrims were strung out all across the land. Families lived in homesteads miles apart in untamed territory. Gathering together every Sunday in church fostered kinship and community. It organized a security structure for everyone. To this day, we see that social structure in the small towns with their churches all over the country.

Organized religion is not different from any society that serves itself instead of the people it is meant to serve.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Christian theology can be anything we want it to be. Every denomination has its own Christian theology.

Organized religion may not necessarily be a bad thing. Back in the frontier days of America, pilgrims were strung out all across the land. Families lived in homesteads miles apart in untamed territory. Gathering together every Sunday in church fostered kinship and community. It organized a security structure for everyone. To this day, we see that social structure in the small towns with their churches all over the country.

Organized religion is not different from any society that serves itself instead of the people it is meant to serve.
Let's see. "Christian theology can be anything we want it to be". Doesn't matter if it's true and accurate? I think part of the problem here may be your choice of words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality