Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 06:23 AM

12,058 posts, read 6,608,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's see...I was brought up a methodist, converted to catholicism, and still went to church at least occasionally until 6 years ago (age 67). I know my way around christianity.
Perhaps I’m wrong here, but I believe the difference to be that your relationship and “knowing your way around” was centered on all these denominations of organized religion, not on any personal relationship with Jesus or God…..

That’s what I believe Mystic is pointing to, and it appears atheists have a hard time reconciling that there can be a personal spiritual relationship and spiritual maturing via different portals or pathways to God that is not a relationship with organized religion. Although organized religion CAN be a doorway for some. Atheists don’t seem to be able to separate the two.

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-01-2023 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 08:29 AM

51,070 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post

Perhaps I’m wrong here, but I believe the difference to be that your relationship and “knowing your way around” was centered on all these denominations of organized religion, not on any personal relationship with Jesus or God…..

That’s what I believe Mystic is pointing to, and it appears atheists have a hard time reconciling that there can be a personal spiritual relationship and spiritual maturing via different portals or pathways to God that is not a relationship with organized religion. Although organized religion CAN be a doorway for some. Atheists don’t seem to be able to separate the two.
What I highlighted (color)...what is your ACTUAL evidence for that. Or is it a presumption on your part?

Old 01-01-2023, 08:47 AM

427 posts, read 129,860 times
Quote:
Let's see...I was brought up a methodist, converted to catholicism, and still went to church at least occasionally until 6 years ago (age 67). I know my way around christianity.

Some men have lived their whole lives with their wives and know their way around them also. And how many of those women had died with broken hearts.

Love, my friend. Realizing the "mind of Christ" is more than knowing your way around Christianity.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:06 AM

51,070 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Some men have lived their whole lives with their wives and know their way around them also. And how many of those women had died with broken hearts.

Love, my friend. Realizing the "mind of Christ" is more than knowing your way around Christianity.
Considering the things that you said yesterday that are established facts about American history, as compared to rather fantastical things you have said about christianity, I don't think that we can rely at all on you knowing and interpreting for us the "mind of christ". That's way above you pay grade.

And, on a side note, do you think only women have broken hearts. How very naïve.

And one more thing...your frequent tossing in of the word "friend" in some of your posts has virtually no meaning.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
What I highlighted (color)...what is your ACTUAL evidence for that. Or is it a presumption on your part?
My actual evidence is my personal experiencing of it.

Where is your actual evidence there’s a “me” a “pheterol” that is looking out of your eyes and experiencing reality?
Can you find or locate that “me”?
If so, where is the evidence of its location? Is it inside the body, and if so does it have physical weight or matter attached to it? If not, what makes it exist? Can you see it under a microscope? Is the “me” a separated part of consciousness, and if so where is the evidence of that?

No, there’s no actual evidence to the “me” —your actual evidence is because you experience it……
It’s empirical knowledge/evidence.

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-01-2023 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-01-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
My actual evidence is my personal experiencing of it.

Where is your actual evidence there’s a “me” a “pheterol” that is looking out of your eyes and experiencing reality?
Can you find or locate that “me”?
If so, where is the evidence of its location? Is it inside the body, and if so does it have physical weight or matter attached to it? If not, what makes it exist? Can you see it under a microscope? Is the “me” a separated part of consciousness, and if so where is the evidence of that?

No, there’s no actual evidence to the “me” —your actual evidence is because you experience it……
It’s empirical knowledge/evidence.

I am glad you brought this line of thought up. It kicks the level of discussion to a higher state.

Don't we all experience the "me"?

Old 01-01-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
I am glad you brought this line of thought up. It kicks the level of discussion to a higher state.

Don't we all experience the "me"?
The point is there is no EVIDENCE of a “me” besides the actual experiencing of it.
That’s the same with the millions of people experiencing God or Jesus or Buddha nature or the Self or the Holy Spirit.
The evidence is in our personal experience which many atheists want to discount as mere fantasy solely because we can’t show them actual evidence.

Does a blind person have the right to say that there is no such thing as the color orange because they’ve never experienced it? To them it’s not a reality, but to billions of others it is.
Same with God….

Old 01-01-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The point is there is no EVIDENCE of a “me” besides the actual experiencing of it.
That’s the same with the millions of people experiencing God or Jesus or Buddha nature or the Self or the Holy Spirit.
The evidence is in our personal experience which many atheists want to discount as mere fantasy solely because we can’t show them actual evidence.

Does a blind person have the right to say that there is no such thing as the color orange because they’ve never experienced it? To them it’s not a reality, but to billions of others it is.
Same with God….

Experiencing the "me" is a universal experience. It's like the feeling of cold or the seeing of the sky. We can attest to it collectively. Experiencing the Holy Spirit or the "mind of Christ" is something else. This argument for the existence of God is not defensible. There must be tens of millions, billions even, who have lived and died without any spiritual experience and were none the worse for it. The fact is, life is pretty crappy for almost all humanity. People are more than happy if they could get three square meals and not get bombed out of existence because crazy politicians pushed for war.

We need to articulate the need for seeking the truth about life a better way.

Old 01-01-2023, 03:59 PM

15,905 posts, read 6,382,983 times
Quote:

In my experience, believers say there is one prescribed way to reach God. Their way. Atheists just think you are all equally wrong.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:28 PM

22,663 posts, read 19,356,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
In my experience, believers say there is one prescribed way to reach God. Their way. Atheists just think you are all equally wrong.
that may be your experience.

however it demonstrates that you are unaware that there are many paths of religion and spirituality which do NOT say that, and instead recognize that there is NOT one single way, but divinity is accessible and available (and within) everyone regardless of the path they may take.

It goes hand in hand with not proselytizing.
whereas those paths which claim there is only one way, tend to be the paths which proselytize.

now you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality