Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 09:04 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Although delivery can soften the edges so to speak, there is a difference between confidence, self assurance, and pride.
MysticPhD does not come across as prideful, to me a least.
Confident. Self assured. Yes.
"confident" and "self-assured" are not what the Proverbs address.
they address arrogance, superiority, haughty. those are replete and abundant in the posts seen on CD.
(talking about views expressed. not talking about any individuals posting.)

there is a reason many paths of religion and spirituality place great emphasis on humbleness.
because arrogance, superiority, haughty are such a severe impediment, barrier, and obstacle. they are the antithesis of humbleness. they cause destruction and they inevitably lead to downfall.

so no, not about "delivery" or "how a person speaks"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 09:21 AM

What is haughty?
"haughty is to have an arrogant demeanor; it's an overall attitude of one's heart that causes one to scorn or 'look down on' others." "haughty is arrogant and full of pride. When you're haughty, you have a big attitude and act like you're better than other people. A haughty person acts superior and looks down on others. Haughty people are disdainful, overbearing, prideful, swaggering, and obnoxious."

what is humbleness?
"not thinking of yourself as better than other people."
"you are secure enough that you don't feel you have to prove yourself by showing that you are cleverer, smarter, more gifted or successful than others. "

many paths of religion and spirituality recognize and emphasize that humbleness is among the greatest of the virtues, as its opposite, arrogance, is among the worst of vices.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:21 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"confident" and "self-assured" are not what the Proverbs address.
they address arrogance, superiority, haughty. those are replete and abundant in the posts seen on CD.
(talking about views expressed. not talking about any individuals posting.)

there is a reason many paths of religion and spirituality place great emphasis on humbleness.
because arrogance, superiority, haughty are such a severe impediment, barrier, and obstacle. they are the antithesis of humbleness. they cause destruction and they inevitably lead to downfall.

so no, not about "delivery" or "how a person speaks"
I don't disagree.

Perhaps I have a higher tolerance for the communication styles found within vigorous debate.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:24 AM

412 posts, read 137,398 times
Quote:
Although delivery can soften the edges so to speak, there is a difference between confidence, self assurance, and pride.

Mystic has stated on occasion that his exceptional intellect has caused others to envy him since childhood. It's not very reassuring when someone has to tell you they are super intelligent or physically beautiful...some things should and do speak for themselves.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree.
Perhaps I have a higher tolerance for the communication styles found within vigorous debate.
i have no interest in debate, which itself is an exercise in ego and one upmanship.
i have great interest in discussion and conversation regarding the wisdom presented in paths of religion and spirituality.

arrogance, haughty, superiority are not a communication style, nor are they treated as such in paths of religion and spirituality.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:29 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
I played dodge ball as a kid.

There were those who were very confident and aggressive in their method.

We couldn't complain about them. We either dodged them, or knocked them out.

Wining didn't help.
That is not a dialog. Dialog is exchange of ideas with honesty, not by bamboozling.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:35 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:

He comes across angry and abrasive. Those who are self-assured and have confidence in their values and beliefs rarely need to exhibit any of that. Often it is those who do not have a good grasp of their own ideas, are not sure of its logic, unable to explain it cogently, resort to anger and bluster. Intelligence shines, one never needs to TELL people they are intelligent. If they have to do this as often as Mystic does, there is acserious misconnect.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:47 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
He comes across angry and abrasive. Those who are self-assured and have confidence in their values and beliefs rarely need to exhibit any of that. Often it is those who do not have a good grasp of their own ideas, are not sure of its logic, unable to explain it cogently, resort to anger and bluster. Intelligence shines, one never needs to TELL people they are intelligent. If they have to do this as often as Mystic does, there is acserious misconnect.
Having been raised in and surrounded by members of Mensa, I'm very familiar with many intellectuals who seriously lack social skills.

Who knows, perhaps some are on the border line asbergers syndrome.

I respect strong opinions and confidence.

And I have patience for those who sometimes come across as dogmatic. Especially when they acknowledge it is their opinion.

Perhaps it's my decades of association with friends and colleagues from rabbinical backgrounds.

In fact my old Jesuit spiritual director and I enjoyed intellectual dodge ball.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:32 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Much as I love our poster Mystic I have to agree with some of the comments here. My husband has a PhD in pharmacokinetics. 99.999% of people probably wouldn't be able to get past the introduction in his thesis. Most people would'nt even understand the title. No exaggeration. I'd share it but then you'd be able to look it up and find out who he is and I'd lose my anonymity on here. But suffice to say he's one of the brightest people I know in his field. He has no need to tell people how intelligent he is. It's pretty obvious after talking to him for 5 minutes. Many people in his field are the same - they are all ultra bright but as someone else here mentioned, mostly all somewhere on the spectrum.
I've come to think that a lot of these ultra intelligent people tend to excel in some areas and are weak in others, usually social skills. I think there's only so much of a special gift a person can have in their brains without something else dropping out. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go around.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:36 AM

and again the depth and wisdom of that which is presented in paths of religion and spirituality
goes far deeper than the superficial patina of "social skills" or personality types or psychological make up or how a person talks.

it is focused on recognizing, accessing, utilizing, and implementing spiritual truths.
for many this is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality