Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2023, 01:25 PM

22,224 posts, read 19,238,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I can appreciate your response other than to say that his larger point was that it is better for an individual to believe in Christianity than not to believe it if you want to succeed in our culture.
if that is the "larger point" of the atheist presenter on TV,
then it is not only an expression of his belief, and his own subjective personal view,
but it is also a false dichotomy. because anyone with a modicum of rational thinking and the ability to use basic logic can easily recognize that those are not the only two options. a person has many more options than that with regards to "if you want to succeed in our culture."

Quote:
He was trying to point out why many people won't examine the evidence. It's hard to find an atheist who hasn't examined the evidence... because that's why we became atheists. And in the USA society that is the road less travelled.

I currently live in a city of right around 10K. There are over 20 churches within the city limits. There is a church for every 400-500 people who live here. There are two churches within two blocks of my home. Being a Christian at at least a nominal level is still the default status in my part of America.
The evidence presented regarding the views expressed by the atheist presenter on TV, and the posts in this thread lauding them, is that they are personal beliefs and nothing more. no more "right" or "real" or "backed by best evidence" than any other subjective personal belief. the posts are evidence of and clearly demonstrates this.

and unless you are (a)claiming to speak for all atheists, and (b) claiming that all atheists think and act and behave and live as a unified block, then no it is not accurate to claim "that's why we became atheists."

atheism is simply lack of belief. atheism has nothing to do with "evidence" or" examining evidence."
certainly a person can believe whatever they want about what atheism is and what atheists do. that is a set of beliefs
which is the very same behavior as a person believing whatever they want about god, and about what believers do.

identical. that's my point. people choose to believe whatever they want. about atheism. about believers. about evidence. about what is "best." about "real."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-15-2023 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 01:33 PM

50,856 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if that is the "larger point" of the atheist presenter on TV,
then it is not only an expression of his belief, and his own subjective personal view,
but it is also a false dichotomy. because anyone with a modicum of rational thinking and the ability to use basic logic can easily recognize that those are not the only two options. a person has many more options than that with regards to "if you want to succeed in our culture."

The evidence presented regarding the views expressed by the atheist presenter on TV, and the posts in this thread lauding them, is that they are personal beliefs and nothing more.

no more "right" or "real" or "backed by best evidence" than any other subjective personal belief.
the evidence (in the posts) clearly demonstrates this.

and unless you are (a)claiming to speak for all atheists, and (b) claiming that all atheists think and act and behave and live as a unified block, then no it is not accurate to claim "that's why we became atheists."

atheism is simply lack of belief.
atheism has nothing to do with "evidence" or" examining evidence."
certainly a person can believe whatever they want about what atheism is and what atheists do.
which is the very same behavior as a person believing whatever they want about god, and about what believers do.

identical. that's my point. people choose to believe whatever they want. about atheism. about believers. about evidence. about what is "best." about "real."
Thank you for sharing YOUR PERSONAL BELIEF.

Old 07-15-2023, 02:05 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
"Evangelical" No, I have never visioned myself a recruiter.
So are you saying you have never proselytized to anyone that didn't believe the way you do? If you have, then you're an evangelical. If you support tv evangelists and the likes then you are, indeed, an evangelical. If your Pastor suggests you share the gospel whenever you can, then you are evangelical. It's like anything else, if you support it.....you ARE it.

Quote:
I have not found any contradictions, nor inconsistences in the bible ....
Is that so? Hmm, because they are pretty well known and documented.

Maybe you are choosing to ignore it?

Old 07-15-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
But his point was always that it was more important for most people to be a part of the cultural mainstream than it is to actually examine the evidence of claims.
Well that's just stupid. Just a reverse psychology trick, he wasn't really an atheist and it's just wrong to pretend to be one when he obviously wasn't. It's lies and greed, got to collect that money before the *** is up and there is some sort of scandal.

Old 07-15-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
So are you saying you have never proselytized to anyone that didn't believe the way you do? If you have, then you're an evangelical. If you support tv evangelists and the likes then you are, indeed, an evangelical. If your Pastor suggests you share the gospel whenever you can, then you are evangelical. It's like anything else, if you support it.....you ARE it.
Is that so? Hmm, because they are pretty well known and documented.
Maybe you are choosing to ignore it?
well then by that description in post above, then the atheist presenter on TV described earlier in the thread is an evangelical, and also those who support TV evangelists

i agree that there are atheist evangelicals, and that there are atheists who proselytize. on TV, in books, here on CD, and here in this thread. they preach their beliefs and like the atheist TV presenter discussed in this thread claim to be "right"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-15-2023 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-15-2023, 04:07 PM

50,856 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
well then by that description in post above, then the atheist presenter on TV described earlier in the thread is an evangelical, and also those who support TV evangelists

i agree that there are atheist evangelicals, and that there are atheists who proselytize. on TV, in books, here on CD, and here in this thread. they preach their beliefs and like the atheist TV presenter discussed in this thread claim to be "right"
I know. Isn't it a shame when people have equal rights to free speech. Just horrible!

Old 07-15-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:

My post was not directed at you. If you want to act like a vulture that's your prerogative. What the hell do you think you're doing? You quote my post and then proceed to lie that I said something that I did not. Anyone can see what you are doing. WHERE did I say that atheists are evangelicals? That man was not an atheist. He was a con man pretending to be two things that he obviously wasn't.

You don't even know what the word evangelical means. So let me, for the 10th time, post it again.

e·van·gel·i·cal
adjective
of or according to the teaching of the gospel or the Christian religion.

I believe you and cb are a tag team. <<cut>> Take your crap elsewhere, I'm extremely bored with you.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-17-2023 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-15-2023, 08:39 PM

to evangelize is to (according to the Cambridge dictionary) "talk about how good you think something is" or (from American Heritage dictionary) "To promulgate or promote a doctrine or idea enthusiastically." and from Oxford dictionary, to "advocate or promote a belief or course of action" is proselytizing. Wiktionary defines evangelize as "To be enthusiastic about something, and to attempt to share that enthusiasm with others, to promote"

evangelizing and proselytizing are not limited to a single sect or group or set of beliefs. that's why i pointed out that there are atheists who engage in the behavior of evangelizing and proselytizing. whether they are atheist presenter on TV, or atheist posting in this thread promoting their beliefs.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-15-2023 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-15-2023, 09:07 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
There's more evidence for aliens than there is for God so I'm beginning to think it is aliens that is the "God" living in the sky. I think there's a high likelihood it was aliens that seeded the earth. God is a little green man.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There's more evidence for aliens than there is for God so I'm beginning to think it is aliens that is the "God" living in the sky. I think there's a high likelihood it was aliens that seeded the earth. God is a little green man.
and those are your beliefs. a person is free to choose the beliefs they hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality