Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2023, 04:16 AM

551 posts, read 191,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I haven't lost contact with Reality. Quite the opposite. I have spent decades acquiring the knowledge of our Reality as best we can discern it with our science and I am quite confident in my extrapolations from it. Our consciousness is our real Self but it exists at the level of quanta divorced from this macro level of physical existence. God is not an old man in the sky. God's Cosmic consciousness establishes our entire Reality.

It is not at all strange that our burgeoning consciousness can achieve quantum entanglement with God through meditation or prayer. We experience our consciousness secondhand as it forms and is captured by the brain. We live our low-energy physical existence as its "delayed playback" through the "transceiver" of the brain. I would suggest that your paltry knowledge of the actual quantum composition of Reality is the confusing factor in your case.
Which reality?

Is this real or was that real? The Story of Ashtavakra and King Janak’s dream – Bodhilights

Then a young crooked boy Ashtavakra entered the court and surprised everyone with the answer: “King Janaka, neither beggar nor emperor is real. You alone are real. You, yourself, are the truth. The you who was present as pure consciousness in the dream state playing the role of the beggar and who is present in the waking state playing the role of the king, this you who witnessed both these states, is your true reality.

Life during the daytime is a day-dream, during the night it is a night-dream. They are both illusions. They are filled with defects and flaws because they constantly change from one thing to another; so they cannot be real. Only you who remain unchanged in all these states are real, free of all change and illusion.

That's the Truth Advaita speaks to. From the Advaita perspective that secondhand experience of consciousness is Ahamkara's (Ego's) appropriation of Consciousness as its own, however it's only a reflection. It's like the reflection of a face in a mirror thinking it's the actual face.

I can't speak for you but I can speak for me, and I do suspect at its core it's a similar experience, and that's a shift from identification with reflected consciousness (I am conscious) to Consciousness itself. And yes, it does generate a strong emotional response but that's an effect, not a cause. From my perspective God isn't some old man with a beard living in the sky. God is the Divinity within all of us, or perhaps more accurately all of "us" are but appearances with that Divinity, whatever it might actually be. The ultimate noumenon.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy; 06-24-2023 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 12:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You are a dangerous thing.
Your inability to craft a cogent response is noted.

That's because you've never read the Bhagavad Gita which means you're ignorant of Hinduism and thus cannot be the Brahman.

Bhagavad Gita 8.18 At the advent of Brahma’s day, all living beings emanate from the unmanifest source. And at the fall of his night, all embodied beings again merge into their unmanifest source.

Life only exists in the Day of the Brahman.

From youngest to oldest culture:
  • Scandinavian
  • Hindu
  • Sumerian

The Scandinavians knew 432,000 to be a sacred number but didn't understand its meaning or how to use it. Like the people who put up Christmas trees and mistletoe and light yule logs, the tradition was lost through the process of ritualization so people do those things without understand why they do them.

The Hindus had a far better understanding than the Scandinavians, but sadly, it devolved into a ritualistic mysticism that doomed their own belief system. They took the age of the Earth at 4,320,000,000 years and then twisted it into a count-down to the end of existence. Once Time Point "0" of the Kali Yuga passes that makes the Hindu scriptures worth less than the paper they're written on.

In that regard, Hindus are a lot like x-tians. Prophecies come in two flavors: Sealed and Unsealed. Sealed prophecies are to take place in the distant future. Unsealed prophecies begin to unfold within a few generations. Cleary, the prophecies in Revelation are unsealed because it so states yet Jesus didn't come back and so x-tians are jumping through hoops with bizarre claims trying to con people into believing it'll be a far future date.

Now Hindus are jumping through hoops trying to claim the Kali Yuga didn't start until an uncommon alignment of the planets during a mythical battle in which more than 4 Million combatants died and there were only 11 survivors. Never mind the fact that in 3100 BCE, 4+ Million would have been about 66% to 99% of the population of the Indian sub-continent.

So, please excuse us while we laugh.

The Sumerians got it right. The Earth formed about 4,320,000,000 years ago. There's nothing mystical about it. No Divine Pyromaniacs are coming to kill us all. There's no count-down to oblivion. And, in fact, the Sumerians didn't even have an eschatology. The Earth will end whenever it does and whenever it does will be naturally occurring.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:28 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Which reality?

Is this real or was that real? The Story of Ashtavakra and King Janak’s dream – Bodhilights

Then a young crooked boy Ashtavakra entered the court and surprised everyone with the answer: “King Janaka, neither beggar nor emperor is real. You alone are real. You, yourself, are the truth. The you who was present as pure consciousness in the dream state playing the role of the beggar and who is present in the waking state playing the role of the king, this you who witnessed both these states, is your true reality.

Life during the daytime is a day-dream, during the night it is a night-dream. They are both illusions. They are filled with defects and flaws because they constantly change from one thing to another; so they cannot be real. Only you who remain unchanged in all these states are real, free of all change and illusion.

That's the Truth Advaita speaks to. From the Advaita perspective that secondhand experience of consciousness is Ahamkara's (Ego's) appropriation of Consciousness as its own, however it's only a reflection. It's like the reflection of a face in a mirror thinking it's the actual face.

I can't speak for you but I can speak for me, and I do suspect at its core it's a similar experience, and that's a shift from identification with reflected consciousness (I am conscious) to Consciousness itself. And yes, it does generate a strong emotional response but that's an effect, not a cause. From my perspective God isn't some old man with a beard living in the sky. God is the Divinity within all of us, or perhaps more accurately all of "us" are but appearances with that Divinity, whatever it might actually be. The ultimate noumenon.
We do not differ about the Oneness except for the unnecessary, pointless, and platitudinous definitions of its unchanging timelessness. There is no substantiation for those purely philosophical musings. A philosophy not grounded in known features of reality is illusory and does not become real by rejecting all known reality as illusory. The Oneness is alive and we are part of its infinite (and unending) growth. Awareness requires a living witness, IMO.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:04 AM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
I haven't lost contact with Reality. Quite the opposite.
What you say next suggests that you have lost contact with reality:

Quote:
I have spent decades acquiring the knowledge of our Reality as best we can discern it with our science and I am quite confident in my extrapolations from it. Our consciousness is our real Self but it exists at the level of quanta divorced from this macro level of physical existence. God is not an old man in the sky. God's Cosmic consciousness establishes our entire Reality.

It is not at all strange that our burgeoning consciousness can achieve quantum entanglement with God through meditation or prayer. We experience our consciousness secondhand as it forms and is captured by the brain. We live our low-energy physical existence as its "delayed playback" through the "transceiver" of the brain. I would suggest that your paltry knowledge of the actual quantum composition of Reality is the confusing factor in your case.
That’s crazy talk. What’s going on?

Old 06-27-2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What you say next suggests that you have lost contact with reality:
That’s crazy talk. What’s going on?
It is over your head and inconsistent with your current pragmatic perspective which seems to be uninformed by any real knowledge of the quantum composition of the Reality you take for granted as presented by our sensory system. That is okay since it comports with living effectively in this physical realm but it is inadequate for understanding its true composition. It also misleads you about your status which is NOT physical. I doubt you have the interest or inclination to want to know those things anyway. You seem quite satisfied as a physical being living in a physical world. Anything beyond that is out of your ballpark of concern.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:18 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
It is over your head and inconsistent with your current pragmatic perspective which seems to be uninformed by any real knowledge of the quantum composition of the Reality you take for granted as presented by our sensory system. That is okay since it comports with living effectively in this physical realm but it is inadequate for understanding its true composition. It also misleads you about your status which is NOT physical. I doubt you have the interest or inclination to want to know those things anyway. You seem quite satisfied as a physical being living in a physical world. Anything beyond that is out of your ballpark of concern.
"Quantum composition" is creating a double bind. On one hand you are trying to establish this woo woo field as material then chastising the materialist worldview.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
"Quantum composition" is creating a double bind. On one hand you are trying to establish this woo woo field as material then chastising the materialist worldview.
I am afraid you suffer from the same inadequacy, L8. Most people do. Our Reality is quantum but we perceive and experience it as physical with our quantum-level consciousness.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I am afraid you suffer from the same inadequacy, L8. Most people do. Our Reality is quantum but we perceive and experience it as physical with our quantum-level consciousness.
Seems to me Physical is the word we gave that perception. To say it's not physical while addressing it in physical terms is weird.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:09 PM

If there really was such a thing as higher dimensions or quantum Christ fields we won't have something like it. These would be entirely unknown concepts. To say "it's like a radio frequency" surely means it's not.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:23 PM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
You keep pretending you have the knowledge, but there is no evidence consciousness is at the quantum level, and plenty of evidence (that you make excuses about) that it is not.

We can discuss this in the science forum instead of derailing a thread about people believing the Abrahamic god lives in the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality